Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Mike Kremer No Dark Energy & No Dark Matter! - 04/29/07 05:03 AM
THERES NO DARK ENERGY, AND NO DARK MATTER

So postulates Professor Philip David Mannheim: BA (Oxford University), MS, PhD (Weizmann Institute)
He has published at least 30 papers on:-
Weyl gravity, and galactic rotation curves.

Linear potentials and galactic rotation curves, Astrophysical Journal, 419, 150 (1993). (hep-ph/9212304)

Curvature and cosmic repulsion, March 1998, astro-ph/9803135
Constraints on brane-localized gravity, Physical Review D 63, 024018 (2001). (hep-th/0005226).

Alternatives to dark matter and dark energy, Progress in Particle and Nuclear Physics 56, 340 (2006). (astro-ph/0505266)

Dark matter or new physics?, in Proceedings of "After the First
Three Minutes", University of Maryland, October 1990. A. I. P. Conference Proceedings No. 222, edited by S. S. Holt, C. L. Bennett, and V. Trimble, A. I. P., N. Y. (1991).

How we got into the dark matter fix and how we can get out, in Proceedings of "PASCOS 98", the Sixth International Symposium on Particles, Strings and Cosmology, Northeastern University, Boston, March 1998. Edited by P. Nath, World Scientific Press, Singapore, 1999. (astro-ph/9807122)

His full list of over 30 published papers are found here: http://www.phys.uconn.edu/~mannheim/mannheim.html

His papers seem to suggest that he knows what he is talking about.
But he woke up a lot of Scientists when he suggested at a conference recently:-

That he has dispensed with Dark energy. And also dispensed with dark invisible matter

And gave out his re-defined Newtonian cosmological constants, that better fitted the Standard accepted Cosmological Model.
The one which has been accepted for years, by hundreds of astronomers and cosmologists.

And suggested that his new Cosmological model was an improvement by some 120 orders of magnitude than what is now accepted.

Everyone is now working to find any flaws in his new mathematics.

Astrophysicists state that the accelerating expansion of the Universe is due to the inherent energy of space-time, called Dark Energy. Which Einstein called CC. It is still the favoured
explanation for Dark Energy.

However there is one big problem- theories of particle physics predict that CC should bmore than 10^120 times larger than observed - a value so great it would blow the universe apart, before stars or galaxies could form.

So Dr Philip Mannheim suggested that we should change the constant CC, and make it very large.
He pointed out thatAstrophysicists dont measure CC directly but deduce it from a quantity, that is proportional to CC multiplied by Newtons gravitational Constant G.

G. is thought to be a universal constant of nature. Mannhein says that if G. had a smaller value on cosmological scales than measured in the Laboratory, it would counteract the present
effect of a large CC, thus explaining the present observations far better than at present.

In his model there are two Gravitational constants, bringing two different forces into play.

The familiar G.newton, in Einsteins relativity theory. This dominates on small scales, and explains the motion of bodies within the Solar System.

Mannheims second constant G.cosmo -deduced from particle physics-takes over on large cosmological scales. It has a repulsive anti-gravity effect,accelerating the expansion of the Universe - just as Dark energy is thought to do.

Mannheims simple fix, answers the cosmological questions of our universe far better than our accepted model.
However it comes at a high cost

To introduce two different values of G, he has to throw out Einstein's equations of general relativity, replacing them with alternative equations based upon particle physics.

Mannheim also claims that his model dispenses with Dark Matter, which was first proposed when Astronomers noticed that stars on the outskirts of Galaxies were moving much faster than can be explained by the gravity of visible matter.

In his model, by adding the two gravitational forces all the observations can be explained without resorting to Dark Matter, says Mannheim.

Some Cosmologist say "its a very elegant theory and it would be wonderful if it were true, because it would unify Particle Physics and Gravity in a very tidy and precise manner"

Other cosmologists say that the Standard Model of cosmology explains the measurements of the Cosmic Microwave background (CBM), and the motion of binary Pulsars, very well.

Tom Shanks, cosmologist from Durham University UK. wonders if Mannheim's gravity is compatible with these recent, highly precise observations?

Mannheim is now examining the case of Binary pulsars and will report later. He plans to investigate the CMB later.

"Yes I have a few challenges to address" he said. "But compared with the Standard cosmological model which hundred of cosmologists have worked on, and yet is wrong by 120 orders of
magnitude.
At least my model is doing a whole lot better than that"

Part preview Here-
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11736-particle-physicist-takes-on-newton-and-einstein.html

Somehow, I dont think we have heard the last of Prof Philip D. Mannheim.

Posted By: samwik Re: No Dark Energy & No Dark Matter! - 04/29/07 05:51 AM
Wow, thanks for the work Mike.

"Mannhein says that if G. had a smaller value on cosmological scales than measured in the Laboratory, it would counteract the present effect of a large CC, thus explaining the present observations far better than at present."

I occasionally wondered if gravity might operate differently at large distances, but I always thought it'd be stronger! Just the other day, re: Fluke's Spinning Superconductors....

Thanks again,
Dreaming of New Physics....

~SAM
Posted By: Mike Kremer Re: No Dark Energy & No Dark Matter! - 05/01/07 10:34 PM
It is a very neat idea.
Although I consider some of these "ideas", just mathematical "fixes"
Prehaps a clever way to fit the latest mathematical idea to the observed data?
When the majority of Cosmologist accept the latest 'math fixes', as a proven truth. Then I guess so will we all.

Daniel posted an alternative idea a couple of weeks ago, that suggested 'dark matter was an illusion'
the URL was:-
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11498-is-dark-energy-an-illusion.html
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums