Science a GoGo's Home Page
First of all i'd like to say hi to all members smile
It may sound a bit simple or dumb for a thought, but i've been wondering about this for quite a while. Before i start, i'd like to clear this: for me, personality not only means how bad or good person you are, or if you worry a lot or not, or if u are selfish or open hearted, for me it is the thing that seperates you and me, he and the person somewhere. With few and simple words it is the being that sees through your eyes (heh it is also called "soul", but i prefer not to use it on how i explain this thing). The words are very simple to describe but i believe u got it smile. I see through my eyes. I sence through my feelings. But why I have the chance to exist? Why i can see through my eyes? I believe that this is a result of some information like a code in the DNA that describes that it's me in there, me, that i can look through my eyes (third time i told this). Sounds like a Hollywood production? Well maybe, but isn't it possible for someone to exist like a "code"? Maybe we should find out our codes laugh
I think science doesn't do why in the sense you mean it.

We individuals are more than our DNA. We are our DNA after it has been developed through our contact with our environment.

The same experiences with different DNA would produce a different person. The same DNA with different experiences would produce a different person.
I totaly aggree with your opinion. Yes, i believe two exactly same people (like clones) that lived in particular environments and had difference experiences will probably NOT be the same. Their appearence may also have a great difference. But that wasn't my point, probably I wasn't clear enough. Let's make a backstep in time 20 years (and some months) when I was a 2 or 3 days baby and of course had almost no contact with advanced environment (school, friends, beliefes). Even unexperienced I could feel and see making me individual. I mean that baby was me and not some other baby that a third person would see. To end this, if we take two babies, put them one next to the other and think; what is the thing which seperates these babies and makes two individuals? Do they have an extra information in their genetic code to describe who is the baby1 and who is the baby2 ? I hope i cleared it a bit!
And lets not overemphasize the importance of DNA. Current research has clearly demonstrated that it is the transcription that counts ... not what is there. So two people with the exact same DNA may end up looking as well as acting very differently.
I realise, northernX, that you've attempted well enough to express your meaning, but I'm still a little unclear about it. You seem to be suggesting this: your awareness, the consciousness of "I" is a product of internal data such as that of DNA. There are many variables both within the body and externally that act as data and modify the data. This includes not only the sensory input, but also the very complex psychological effects of social interaction and so on. Enormously complex, I would say. The "I" - the one seeing through your eyes at this moment - is, by the time you reach the end of this sentence, slightly modified by additional data from external sources and internal activity.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums