Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: dr_rocket Igor, It lives - 03/22/06 09:17 PM
Some time ago I read an breif article ("Transitions from Nonliving to Living Matter" by Steen Rasmussen, et al. in Science, 13 February 2004 303: 963-965) that was a report on a couple of workshops where artificial cells were considered. The article describes two methods of creating artificial cells. One being top down where existing cells are downward mutated to be a simpler form. The other is bottom up where cells are fashioned from non-living substances. All this is way outside my area, but it is nevertheless interesting. Maybe someone who is into these things could indicate what progress, if any, has been made along these lines. The deliberate construction of life has many scientific, philosophical and theological consequences. In all debates/disscussions of origins, evolution and like genre, this is where the rubber meets the road.
Posted By: Kate Re: Igor, It lives - 03/22/06 11:57 PM
"where the rubber meets the road", indeed it is. We ran something about reverse engineering proteins (http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20050821202032data_trunc_sys.shtml) last year but I haven't seen much else reported recently.

Perhaps Rusty could look into it...
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums