Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: DA Morgan Quote of the day - 03/07/06 05:25 AM
That's the kind of God you people talk about, a country bumpkin, a clumsy, bungling, brainless, conceited, uncouth hayseed. Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth decay in His divine system of Creation?

What in the world was running through that warped, evil, scatological mind of His when He robbed old people of the power to control their bowel movements?

~ Joseph Heller / Catch 22
Posted By: RM Re: Quote of the day - 03/08/06 09:32 PM
play that new game 'spore' and you shall soon see.
Posted By: jjw Re: Quote of the day - 03/19/06 01:36 AM
The listing was Quote: Topic of the day.

What I see is some special lines by DA Morgan that appear to be advising us that any god we may consider worth noting is really every bad attribute possible in even a fictitious image.

I do note know what the quote was but the reply provides lots of insight to its creation.
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: Quote of the day - 03/19/06 04:37 PM
What I posted was a quote from Joseph Heller's book 'Catch 22'.

I see no advise from me one way or the other.

The point of the posting was to generate those capable of doing so to consider something provocative. No opinion is expressed.

However if you think you can explain why a deity would give males nipples and everyone, sooner or later, incontinence. I'd love to hear it.
Posted By: jjw Re: Quote of the day - 03/19/06 06:29 PM
Thank you.

I do not think that a diety gave man nipples, or people cancer and incontinence.

I think it it very clear that evolution gave us these note worthy results, probably so we would "survive" and be fitest.
jjw
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: Quote of the day - 03/19/06 09:20 PM
If you believe incontinence makes someone more fit?

I expect you will have no problem aging gracefully. ;-)
Posted By: jjw Re: Quote of the day - 05/25/06 10:44 PM
DA, you originated this topic about a quote we do not get to see but which you defend as a reason for opening the topic. You then recite your tired old tirade about men with nipples and people that become incontinent. Can you see your rut or are the sides so steep you are buried in it?

My response was in keeping with your views about evolution. I simply offered that as the cause for the things of which you complain. You are off balance. You advocate evolution but when results appear that you find distaseful you want to create a religious source for these results.

Can you accept that evolution has given us all kinds of cripples, blind people, nippled people, retarded people and all the hippocrites of which you want to complain? Why do you want to blame the thing you consider impossible for what you see every day as possible?

This is one of my exceptions related to watching a child walk into the traffic.
jjw
Posted By: jjw Re: Quote of the day - 05/29/06 08:59 PM
OK DA, my error.

Your post was so much like your own stuff and you did not put any thing in quotes I thought you were simply sharing your stuff.

Mr Heller was a clever guy. The biog I saw did not mention if he felt the same way about his familys Hebrew God but it would be likely.

jjw
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: Quote of the day - 05/30/06 10:13 PM
He did.

Many of us find hypocrisy the greatest sin of all.
Posted By: Pragmatist Re: Quote of the day - 05/31/06 10:34 PM
I believe Heller was expressing weltschmertz,
or existential angst and not any real opinion
on the nature of Deity.

My nomination for quote of the day:

"I refuse to be intimidated by reality anymore." - Lilly Tomlin - 'Trudy`.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums