Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: y why Laugh when we can Smile - 03/31/06 01:28 PM
Why Laugh, what purpose does it have in the evolutionary scheme of things, surely a smile is good enough?

I wonder what the train of events was that lead to the first laugh and why it is so important to give happiness a sound, maybe because there were a lot of blind cavemen about?

-------------------------------------------------
'I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy'
-------------------------------------------------
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 03/31/06 02:07 PM
y asks:
"Why Laugh ....?"

Bonobos laugh ... chimpanzees laugh. Laughter likely preceded cavemen by tens of millions of years.
Posted By: Kate Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/01/06 03:05 AM
Is laughter associated with happiness?

We seem to laugh under all sorts of stimuli - nervousness, the misfortunes of others...
Posted By: y Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/12/06 08:31 AM
Ok!

What function does laughter perform (that is useful in the evolutionary scheme of things)that a smile cannot?
Posted By: RM Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/12/06 11:26 AM
get attention
Posted By: esin Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/12/06 12:18 PM
La tendere mercies,,, unaggressive bottled tensions/energy release~
Posted By: y Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/12/06 02:20 PM
Would laughter (in its purest form) be classed as a reflexive reaction to stimulli, or as a more controlled thought based reaction.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: why Laugh when we can Smile - 04/13/06 06:46 AM
IMHO, I think it's a reflexive reaction; I don't have to think about laughing, I just do it. If I think about laughing, I can't laugh; I can't make myself laugh deliberately. Sometimes I laugh when I think about funny things, but I have to feel the humor of the situation. Sometimes I laugh when I'm nervous, or I try to make other people laugh when I'm nervous. It takes the edge off the tension in the situation for me.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums