Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Not Telling How fast? - 11/19/04 03:32 PM
I have been wondering for a long time, how fast does a bullet really go? Of course, I know different guns give different speeds, but any information would be appreciated.

Also, how much do bullets usually weigh? I know that different bullets weigh different amounts. Once again, any information.

And could somebody also tell me with a hypothetical speed and weight, how could we measure the damage a bullet might cause?

Just curious. Thanks.
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: How fast? - 11/19/04 05:21 PM
Many hundreds to several thousand feet per second.
Posted By: snipz Re: How fast? - 11/20/04 04:54 AM
Bullet weights are measured, Imperial, in "grains" Metric system in grams. Imperial, bullet speeds ("muzzle velocity") are in feet per second; meters/second otherwise.

A hard, cohesive, pointy bullet of a given weight and speed, spinning in order to keep it going straight, will damage its target by making a bullet-size hole in it. A softer hollow-point bullet of the same size and speed will expand and make a bigger mess. Specialty bullets made for damaging meat will do a lot more damage, at the same weight and speed.

There are commercial gun magazines--that is to say, paper publications--that would give you more data, to the point of ennui or horror. A good starting point would be
NRA.org; if you've time enough, you could get more figures than you'll need for your science project. wink
Posted By: Not Telling Re: How fast? - 11/22/04 01:32 PM
Thankyou.
Posted By: timer Re: How fast? - 12/17/04 06:56 AM
Is the maximum speed limit in the universe c or c^2?
Posted By: Uncle Al Re: How fast? - 12/17/04 04:27 PM
Google
"fastest bullet" 439 hits

Weatherby, on tests performed for the US military using 300 Weatherby mag or 378 Weatherby mag brass necked down to 22 cal., pushed bullets beyond 5000 fps.

Look up ballistics tables. Tiny fast rounds are used for plinking varmints. Fast bullets severely erode rifle barrels. If they aren't solid alloy they tend to fragment.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How fast? - 12/18/04 07:09 AM
Mach one at 34 degrees Fahrenheit is about 1090 fps. At that speed, the bullet could hit you well before the sound reached your ears. If you were about a mile from the shooter, a bullet would hit you about four seconds before you heard the shot fired.

for more, see,

http://www.csgnetwork.com/machonecalc.html

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How fast? - 12/19/04 12:14 AM
''If you were about a mile from the shooter, a bullet would hit you about four seconds before you heard the shot fired.''

That means that if the bullet goes through your heart you would just be able to hear the shot before losing consciousness and dying.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How fast? - 12/19/04 02:18 AM
It would appear that way, yes. You could say the victim "never knew what hit him, or her." laugh
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums