Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: Amaranth Rose II Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/04/14 05:34 AM
Can ancient pathogens thaw out from permafrost and infect modern people and animals? An ancient virus that infects amoebas has been discovered and it is still viable after all those millennia in ice. Could human diseases long since vanquished recur as the ice melts?

http://news.yahoo.com/giant-virus-resurrected-permafrost-30-000-years-202120390.html
Posted By: paul Re: Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/04/14 05:54 AM
spooky idnt it.

however

Quote:
then our immune system is no longer prepared to respond to them."

I think weve covered that already , where bacteria was thought to have evolved and found that it was only remembering past food supplies.

but its still very spooky , I have often thought about this exact same scenario and now I find that my concerns may have not only been probable but possible.

If I were asked if such an event could occur today as these bacteria and viruses revive in the thawing ice , my answer would have to be a resounding possible yes !!!

Posted By: Bill S. Re: Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/05/14 05:49 PM
I read about this the day after seeing seeing the film "Blood Glacier". Who says there are no coincidences.
Posted By: paul Re: Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/05/14 10:14 PM
trailers of the movie you watched , I want to watch it.
but I cant find it , where did you watch it at?

Blood Glacier

Also Known As ( AKA )

Blutgletscher

Also Known As ( AKA )

The Station

Posted By: Bill S. Re: Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/06/14 11:31 PM
We hired it from "Love Film" which has just been taken over by "Amazon", and has taken a downturn. Hopefully just teething troubles.
Posted By: paul Re: Ancient Viruses and Melting Ice - 03/08/14 05:20 AM
thanks Bill
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums