Science a GoGo's Home Page
Researchers have discovered a new strain of bacteria on the skin that may explain why some people get zits and others don't.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-people-zits-others-dont-145013019.html

This could lead to a bacteria-based treatment for zits. Replace the bad bacteria with the good bacteria. It could work.
Is ZIT the official scientific term?
Quote:
is ZIT the official scientific term?

I think acne vulgaris is more like the scientific term, but Bryan may well correct me on that.
Zit is the generic term for a small pustule or papule - which we see in acne, and commonly refer to as pinheads and pimples. So it's a sign of acne, not a name of the disease itself.
'acne vulgaris' is the correct term, although no MD's I know say more than 'acne'.

I'm somewhat dubious about the applicability of the research. This is a pro-biotic treatment - there are several experts here in the field, so I've seen a lot of the troubles they face.

The biggest issue with probiotics is that you usually need to wipeout the existing bacteria to get permanent colonization by the probiotic strain - i.e. give the patient a massive antibiotic treatment, followed by massive dosing of the probiotic bacteria. This is not safe - these kinds of antibiotic treatments make you suceptable to things like c. difficile - far to serious a threat for a cosmetic treatment.

You might see a temporary relief with regular application - at least transiently. However, infrequent exposure to a probiotic (plus whatever compound(s) it makes) is a sure-fire way to evolve resistant strains of the acne-causing bacteria on your skin...

Bryan
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums