Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: gan Maths and Science will be taught in MALAY!!!!!!! - 10/30/11 03:06 AM
In Malaysia, Maths and Science will be taught in Malay! What the .... I am fainted.
I am guessing that is to make it more accessible to children at school ... am I right in assuming not all children are taught english?

If so this is a very good thing Gan.
It is accessible for the Malays! Malaysia is a multi-race country. It's not fair for us!!!
WOW sorry I don't know the background of malaysia.

There are alot of science available on the internet through school extension programs.

It's a bit of a landmine trying to google it, I can try and find you reasonable options through proper channels if it helps.
I guess they want to preserve traditional language and culture.
Might be better for them economically to use English or Chinese for those classes.
Malaysia is far from even handed in the governance of it's Malay and non-Malay populations. If you happen to be born a "son of the soil" i.e. Muslim Malay, then lucky you. If you happen to be of Chinese ethnicity, then you'll be facing a heavy burden of unequal rights and legislated deprivation - and that includes education priorities and opportunities. I quite understand Gan's concern.
Even for english the more complex maths and science starts to take on language and meanings that are far outside normal everyday language.

English is a 2nd language to me and I find the more technical a paper or article the easier it is for me to follow because less of the actual general everyday english nuiances trip me up.

I think you will find eventually this issue dissapears or is no worse than a person from english speaking.

So keep up the good work Amit I see you got in the top group on the tutorial.
Originally Posted By: Amit

The definition is incorrect.
Originally Posted By: Amit
Thanks for commenting,with respect I want to ask you the exact definition of rational number.

The site says, "Rational numbers are those numbers which can be represented in the form of p/q where p and q are REAL numbers and q cannot be zero."

The rational numbers are those numbers that can be represented as the ratio of two INTEGERS in lowest terms, i.e. no common factors.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RationalNumber.html
has a definition that says it's the ratio of integers (and not reals). I think the statement that q ≠ 0 is redundant, since no number is defined that way anyway. The phrase where p and q are in lowest terms is missing from their definition and I think that's a mistake, as the proof that sqrt(2), for example, is irrational relies on that property.
Fallible is quite right the definition is wrong P and Q can only be integers.
As a physicist not a mathematician I take the 1st amendment on the lowest factor part.

To me 12/16, 6/8 and 3/4 are all isomorphic and as I accept H20, water and hydrogen hydroxide also mean the same thing I have no problem with those fractions representing the same thing.

Mathematically perhaps there are standards that require all simplifications to be done so I leave that up to the experts.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums