Science a GoGo's Home Page
Posted By: I. S. Hubble checking out - 02/08/05 01:20 AM
Click here

Given how much money the government spends on criminally frivolous projects, the fact that Hubble is dying the death of a thousand funding cuts is despicable. Oh well. Thanks Hubble, you were great.
Posted By: Kate Re: Hubble checking out - 02/08/05 07:35 AM
It does seem like a shame. Some of its pictures were astonishing. RIP
Posted By: Mike Kremer Re: Hubble checking out - 02/09/05 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kate:
It does seem like a shame. Some of its pictures were astonishing. RIP
I think that Hubble will have at least another year of life, maybe longer.
Its batterys (and therefore Gyros) are failing.

But despair not-- Hubble will have a replacement. It is called the James Webb telescope. It is due
up into space around 2010. More sensitive than Hubble, be able to see further, with a higher definition. Although, I believe it, will not be able to "see in Ultra Violet"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hubble checking out - 02/10/05 02:21 AM
The death of the Hubble telescope is yet another example of the Bush administration's commitments to furthering Science and and Research. They've managed to cripple biomedical research by banning further collection of foetal stem cell lines, and with the loss of Hubble they have set back the progress of astrophysics commensurately.

What will they think of next? Perhaps they'll try to legislatively decree that pi equals 3.0. Maybe they'll decree that all fossils are fraudulently devised artifacts derived from bones of domestic animals. Maybe they'll make genetically engineered "glo-fish" illegal in all fifty states. It will be interesting to sit back and watch it all unfold. And wait for we the people to realize that not only does the emperor have no clothes, he has no brain.
Posted By: DA Morgan Re: Hubble checking out - 02/11/05 01:38 AM
Ah yes the Bush administration's commitment to science and research I remember it well.

The kleptocrats are doing exactly what I predicted and stated in the archives more than 4 years ago.
© Science a GoGo's Discussion Forums