Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 219 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bill Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Physorg.com reports a paper from Microsoft suggests placing cloud servers in homes as part of their heating system. The home owner would buy a server to be placed in their basement (or I suppose other handy place, I don't have a basement). The heat generated by the server would be used to heat the home.

This would provide some savings on both ends. The server operator would save on space and power for the server, the home owner would save on heating energy. There would be a net savings in energy use at both ends.

Personally I am not sure I want my data to be stored in somebodies home. I can see some security issues.

Actually I'm not all that fond of the idea of having my data stored on somebody else's server any way. I really like to have it under my direct control. I'm not planning to go into cloud computing any time soon.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Personally I am not sure I want my data to be stored in somebodies home. I can see some security issues.

I think redundancy would be the cure.
where your data is stored on thousands of servers not just a single server.

little bits are sent to thousands of servers that store those bits under your file number and file name along with your computers ID number.

you are then the only one who could access your data and only from your computer.

each file is duplicated once , so there would be 2 complete copies of your file in the cloud.

if one of the thousands of servers in the cloud looses the bits it has that is a part of your file because of a power outage , malfunction , etc ... then the other server that has the duplicate part of your file duplicates those bits to another server.

you never loose any data , its pretty safe , and no one person ever has any real data that can be compiled into a full file.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Quote:

Neither. I used to like the idea and thought those anti-establishment types were just nutters. But now you see widespread censorship and interfering with people's data on the internet. What happens if the govt thinks you're a terrorist, so they spy on your cloud data. What happens if the company decides you violated their terms and conditions, then they just kick you out. Paypal does that routinely and people are always losing their money.

Quote:

little bits are sent to thousands of servers that store those bits under your file number and file name along with

Yeah, this is kind of what big organizations do already. A bank can't lose your account balance when its building gets destroyed, because it'll be distributed in different parts of the world.

Last edited by kallog; 07/28/11 01:36 AM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
What happens if the govt thinks you're a terrorist, so they spy on your cloud data.

what if you are a terrorist?

could the govt spying on your data save 4000 lives?

and several wars with hundreds of thousands of lives lost in the process.

Quote:
What happens if the company decides you violated their terms and conditions, then they just kick you out.

due process of the law.

Quote:
Paypal does that routinely and people are always losing their money.

people should read the terms and conditions first.

just like people should check out what politicians have voted for while in office before they vote for them.

even if they say we need to help small buisness what do they really do when its their time to vote for small buisness.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Originally Posted By: paul
what if you are a terrorist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

Quote:

could the govt spying on your data save 4000 lives?

Maybe, but the government isn't concerned with deaths. It never stops murders or car accidents which kill far more people every year. And there are better ways to prevent terrorism than chasing down every individual. Like not making them so angry in the first place. England has successfully solved its Irish terrorism problem like this.

Quote:
due process of the law.

Sure, but most people don't realize they're breaking the conditions. I got kicked off Paypal for moving to another country. I forgot to reread all the conditions for every internet service I used, and it turns out Paypal requires you to close your account if you travel, or something like that. Do you know what the rules are for your email provider? What kinds of emails you're not allowed to send, etc.?

Nobody can kick you off your own computer if they don't know what you're doing with it. So you don't have to worry as long as you don't transmit that data over the internet.

Quote:

just like people should check out what politicians have voted for while in office before they vote for them.

Good plan. But again, very hard for normal people to do. Most of us just can't be bothered!

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Most of us just can't be bothered!

thats very interesting , at the end of every day congress takes a vote on wether or not the procedings of the day should be recorded.

I think that the days procedings should be recorded even if certain politicians dont want to reveal how they voted in congress and that recording should be mandantory.

someone with this voting information on how the politicians vote in congress could piece together a web site that searches how different politicians have voted in the past on certain bills and policies.

this way a voter could go to the website and fill out a form of the things that they are concerned about and the website could search its database to find the candidates that best match his or her interest.

if a candidate says "we need to help small business" he may be serious at that moment during his or her campaign
because that is the image of himself or herself that he or she wants to transmit to the voting population , but may also have a track record that shows that he or she votes against helping small business when elected.

I believe that a website like that would greatly improve the type of politicians that we have , they would no longer get to take as much advantage of the ignorant voters who sometimes vote for a politician just because they think he or she is good looking or because joe blow says theyre going to vote for them.

peer pressure in the U.S. seems to carry more weight than a politicians worth , and this is evident at the voting polls , when I voted the last decade or so there is no longer a curtain that you can close , in fact the voting machines are facing the people who are in charge of the voting area.

so they or a camera could easily see who and what you have voted for.

that was real peer pressure standing there voting for Obama with all the republican voters standing around looking...

I suppose the next trick the republicans will use will be a loud speaker that announces who you voted for , I sure hope they pronounce my name correctly.

because Im proud that I vote Democratic and not chinese

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Death of Jean Charles de Menezes

you see , better intelligence might have given the police the address where he was residing and he could have been apprehended at night in his hotel room before he woke up.

and he would still be alive.

Which brings me to the questionable practice of lowering intelligence budgets , such as when bush lowered the intelligence budgets just before 911.

I have always said that a ground war against terrorism is nothing but a pocket liner for the rich , its stupid.

I think that our current pop n lop strategy will give much better results , they pop up as a leader we lop off the head.

without a head they cant think.

they wont be able to find a leader before long.
and much more money can be directed to the more effective and economical intelligence agencies.

Quote:
And there are better ways to prevent terrorism than chasing down every individual. Like not making them so angry in the first place.

I agree with that , and the really sad thing is that the victims of terrorism are the innocent people who have never even spoken to a terrorist much less pissed them off for any reason , and the act of terrorism against the innocent really does not make any sence.

so I suppose that someone pissed off bin laden sometime in the past?

and that was the reason he had the 4000 innocent people murdered on 911.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
someone with this voting information on how the politicians vote in congress could piece together a web site that searches how different politicians have voted in the past on certain bills and policies.

Unlike lots of your ideas Paul, I really like this one! Or maybe I'm just becoming more agreeable :P People could easily make sensible decisions! Politicians know that the public memory is short. All their sins will be forgiven in time. But not with this!

The data could also be analyzed to identify patterns consistent with bribery, etc.

Maybe such a thing is already possible just using the data that was recorded every day they decided to record it. But that seems like it's a numbers game who wins, so it wouldn't really be fair.

However I did hear that it's rare for a congressman to be elected as president, because usually his opponent isn't, and the one who isn't has no track record of votes that will surely contain something to alienate each voter. Obama was an exception partly because his opponent was in the same boat. So that shows that voting history somehow does influence votes, but I guess it's mostly via campaigning.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
I think that our current pop n lop strategy will give much better results , they pop up as a leader we lop off the head.

I think leadership isn't very important for terrorism. Look at the recent Norway attacks. Apparently no organization at all, just one guy. If you have a million angry, unemployed, religious nutjobs, lots of them are going to take things into their own hands.

Quote:

nd that was the reason he had the 4000 innocent people murdered on 911.

Funny how people use words like "murder" and "terrorism". Which is worse? Most Americans accept murder as more tolerable than terrorism (16000 Americans murdered in 2002, but no action taken - it increased to 17000 in 2006). Yet you use the word to somehow make terrorism seem even worse, and people use "terrorist" to make murderers seem even worse.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Unlike lots of your ideas Paul, I really like this one! Or maybe I'm just becoming more agreeable

I do too , I think it would really help to know just what a politician stands for before we give so much power to them.

Quote:
The data could also be analyzed to identify patterns consistent with bribery, etc

nice.

Quote:
However I did hear that it's rare for a congressman to be elected as president, because usually his opponent isn't, and the one who isn't has no track record of votes that will surely contain something to alienate each voter. Obama was an exception partly because his opponent was in the same boat. So that shows that voting history somehow does influence votes, but I guess it's mostly via campaigning.

but representatives and senators all have to vote to change things.

and it seems that that is where the real power is , look at the way they (republicans) have stagnated the U.S. ever since they took control of the house.

and even before , each one of them standing there reading the same bill from start to finish just to delay the passing of a bill.

and now they wont even vote unless a balanced budget is passed first , I wonder where these idiots were when bush 2 started with a public debt of 5.6 trillion in 2000 and ended with a public debt of 9.5 trillion in 2008

they handed President Obama a 9.8 trillion debt and the worst economy since the 1920's trillions of dollars in bailouts to their own clientele / supporters who are so darn smart that they almost destroyed the economy in 2008 and they are biotchin about a debt ceiling.

yea what we need is a way to determine the integrity of politicians and especially (((who))) they vote for when they vote in congress.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
If you have a million angry, unemployed, religious nutjobs, lots of them are going to take things into their own hands.

you can leave out the religious and the nutjobs and just focus on those who have a family to support , because that is all thats left when you boil it.

and that is happening in every country in the world.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:

except china of course , the country that republicans support.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Quote:

except china of course , the country that republicans support.

It's a pity hardly anyone lives in China to enjoy the peace and lack of terrorism. Only Americans should have safety and jobs. They're God's chosen people.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
It's a pity hardly anyone lives in China to enjoy the peace and lack of terrorism.

nobody wants to earn 35 cents an hour.

china is bolstering its economy by building huge cities that no one can afford to live in.
they are building 10 new cities every year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDeS_mXMnM

china is not worried about the cities being empty because they are more concerned with maintaning economic growth.

this is proof that economic growth has its boundaries.

and economic growth is what republicans are always preaching , and its why america had its downfall in 2008 , and it is why we have very few manufacturers left in the U.S.

Does anyone think its stupid to keep building entire HUGE cities knowing that the people in china cant afford to live in the new cities?

they dont have the time to be worried with terriorist they have more cities to build , and there too busy building them
to be worried about terrorist.

and so what if a terrorist did blow up a chinese city , it would only mean that they can add another new city to the list.

what china is really worried about is that the rest of the world might figure out that all of the products that china builds that are sold throughout the world could be built in their own country.

maybe this is what we should do in the U.S. we should build solid gold mansions and charge a monthly rental of $50,000,000.00 knowing no one could rent them , or would rent them , this way we could have economic growth , ROFL

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
they are more concerned with maintaning economic growth.

Most people are the same. People living in 1950 were pretty happy having achieved all the things they had. But we wouldn't want to revert to that ourselves. If we couldn't afford the internet or computers or medicines we depend on, etc. We'd feel something had gone horribly wrong and governments would be overthrown.

Look at countries that don't develop - ie a lot of the middle east. Things aren't getting worse, but they're not getting better either so people have a poor attitude to life and their country.

It's easy to say you wouldn't mind keeping the same lifestyle forever. But you won't be so keen when you see your neighbors all have flying cars and you can't afford that, so you can't get a job in the new sky-cities. When the internet gets replaced but you're still using the old internet, with unchanging websites and no new information being added. When most other people are living to the age of 200 but you can only live less than half as long as them because you can't afford the new medical tech.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Quote:
china is not worried about the cities being empty because they are more concerned with maintaning economic growth.

10 years ago people were saying the same thing. Now those new buildings are overflowing. There's a massive unmet demand for property in cities as the large rural population becomes urbanized and people can afford comforts like not living in the same room as their grandparents.

They recently reduced their target growth rate but it's still high. The fact they have a target shows what they're concerned with! People want economic growth, strangely. Maybe Americans have come to accept that they can't always have it, but Chinese still expect it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.