Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Great idea, lets just stop farming altogether, that's the way to reduce CO2 problems, sure no problem, let's get right on it!

Superstar
Superstar
What are you going to do to support all the people who make their living from farming? That includes elevator operators, and the cereal industry, clear down to your local grocer. And what are you going to substitute for the food farmers grow? Are we really ready for Soylent Green? Even that had to be raised for the grain in it.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Are we really ready for Soylent Green?

yuck !!! I wonder how many humans would a growing human need to
devour before the age of thirty?

that is if thirty was the age limit.

5-6 30 year old humans per year per growing human maybe?

I dont think this would be a sustainable solution.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: Hillbilly
Great idea, lets just stop farming altogether, that's the way to reduce CO2 problems, sure no problem, let's get right on it!

Hillbilly, it is farming (done certain ways) that will reduce CO2 levels over the next 40-50 years. Emission reductions won't help in the short term, but only after that several decades has elapsed.

Bio-oriented Farming is our only hope, so please look for the new opportunities to get paid for soil-based management of CO2 sequestration.
===

Allow me to quote Senator Dick Lugar (Republican, Indiana)
Senate Foreign Relations Committee: Hearing on Global Climate Change; Feb., 2009.
[after speaking about the virtues of GMO's--in a climatically challenged world, Senator Lugar spoke about the pricing of carbon, and trading carbon as a commodity]

Originally Posted By: Sen. Lugar
On the farm situation, likewise, the need for building support in the public is obvious. The Pew Foundation's recent report, that is often cited, listed Global Warming, or Climate Change, as number twenty out of 20 issues that were important to the public now. There may be other months in which the poll does better--not in an economic crisis.
But I'm impressed with the fact that the Chicago Climate Exchange--maybe as a prelude to some type of cap-and-trade, or carbon pricing system, in our country--has at least established a price for carbon.
I've become--our farm has become a member of this exchange; we are a potential seller of carbon. It is sequestered in our hardwood trees, which has been measured as we planted them.
This is a very small beginning , but it's an important one....

See, even Republicans see this is important! Especially note his comment, bolded below....
I mention all of this because we'll have debates about it again; and we get back to the fact--that does anybody really understand how to price, how the exchange occurs, who the suppliers are, are they valid suppliers?
The carbon in my hardwood trees-- really--carbon is sequestered? Well, I think that it is.

We think about no-till planting likewise, in this respect. The National Farmers Union came together for a press conference, in which I participated last year, and they were interested in the sequestering of carbon in the soil and how not to disturb it. How can we go about doing this?

He goes on to point out:
To the extent that this becomes an income source for farmers, in addition to a scientific experiment, then that whole difference in American public opinion--at least with one large community--occurs with practical weight. I cite this because you've worked with public opinion for years. These situations are not easy sells, but to the extent that there are practical measures--with even portions of our population--there may be the kind of support... [needed]. Which leads to my sort of overall question:
Kyoto did not do well on the Senate floor, when it came. If we have a treaty this year--and I hope we will--this one needs to do better. How will we come about in a bipartisan stance--comprehensive, with the support of the country--to get either 60 or 67 votes, or whatever is required at that point?

This new Copenhagen Treaty needs to be a focus of our economic recovery--integrated into the overall strategy of creating jobs by moderating our climate and restoring the productivity of our environment--saving our food and water resources.
...or something along those lines....

Cheers!
~ smile

Last edited by samwik; 03/07/09 07:50 AM. Reason: add green highlight

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
L
L
My experience as an old northcentral Missouri farmer is that farm folk will only accept anything new if dragged kicking and screaming into it.

The best way to drag farmers is economically. If they see they can make money--and spend more time drinking coffee instead of actually farming--they will come along. I don't know exactly how to do that. I'm just saying that's probably what will have to be done.

Also, about the only difference between northcentral Missouri and southeastern Nebraska (where I have a bunch of relatives) is that farming seems to be profitable in Nebraska.

--lylwik

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
check it out ...

I have read that a 200 ft x 200 ft ... acre of corn will
evoporate 4,000 gallons of water each day...

thats a lot of water , why not put a bubble of transparant plastic sheeting over that corn and capture that water ... the economic plus in doing this would be both the water that can be used over and over again , and the energy used to pump the water from hundreds of feet below ground , and most of the machinery needed to pump the water as the water can just trickel down strings located atop the inside of the balloon , the fact that you would avoid insects that are not wanted and could also allow polination by placing rented bee hives inside the bubbles , and to satisfy environmental concerns and probably get some funding to boot , the ethonol plants could supply the corn plants with C02 and
the C02 would stay in the bubbles...and in the ethonol plants.

Sounds like a great idea to me , mostly just a large greenhouse the size of a farm.

http://hrbp.com/Partners/Ethanol-Plants.html

Ethanol plants produce significant amounts of CO2 through the ethanol production process. The USA and Brazil produce more than 70% of the world's ethanol; the U.S. supply comes mainly from corn, while Brazil taps its abundant sugarcane crop.

lylwik:

there you go , you could show those nebraskans how to make corn to eat , the gas to cook it with , the gas to power your tractors
with , and save a little to bottle for yourself ... LOL

then you could invite some over for some corn cooked coffee
and corn critters.

and you could farm year round..

http://www.chaselink.co.uk/HTML%20files/Chase%20Garden%20Products/cgp-greensafe.html

http://cals.arizona.edu/ceac/research/SouthPoleChamber/Photo/Mars.htm

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
L
L
That seems kind of pricey.

The initial costs (which are high enough anyway in agriculture) would probably be so high that only corporate farmers could afford them. I don't think anything that replaces even more family farmers with corporate farmers would be good. But if we keep using our prime land for housing, we may need something like that.

I suppose a good thing about the housing downturn is that we might be able to preserve some good agricultural land. In the last 20 years, I have watched one of the top agricultural areas in the country (northern Colorado) disappear under tract houses and shopping centers. I hope to be able to persuade someone in a position of authority that houses can be built in other places. Wish me luck.

Sorry about getting off topic.

--lylwik

Last edited by lylwik; 03/13/09 08:54 PM.
Superstar
Superstar
Paul,
I like your idea of recycling the evaporated water from corn crops. There is one small detail you may have missed from your introductory Biology courses. Corn is a grass and it is wind pollinated. Honey bees would starve to death in a corn field, as there would be no nectar for them to collect. Ditto with wheat, barley, rye and sorghum. Without the wind to spread its pollen, none of these crops will grow and set seed. Buckwheat, alfalfa and soybeans, now, they are another matter. They require bees to pollinate them. They are also less intensive users of water than corn or the other major seed grains. You win a few, you lose a few.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
I like your idea of recycling the evaporated water from corn crops.

thanks!

Quote:
Corn is a grass and it is wind pollinated.

I didnt know that , thanks again !

so I guess you could just turn a fan or two on at the ends of the rows and let the wind do its job and this way you wouldnt be waiting for the wind , or worry about too much or too little wind.

Im not into biology very much I have mostly stuck to mechanics
but I still think about things such as this , and I wonder that if the weather keeps getting more and more extreme than what farmers and the crops they grow are used to if they will need to farm in isolated structures such as the bubbles pictured at the top of my thread.

L
L
Ah, someone who's been on a farm in the last 40 years.

Thanks, Amaranth.

Also, a friend of mine who has done some posting around here reminded me that those bubbles might not do well in high wind or dust storms or hail or tornadoes or . . . .

--lylwik

Superstar
Superstar
Those bubbles would not stand up to a good wind around here. Plus it would take hundreds, if not thousands, to cover the average acreage around here. Corn fields in the Midwest are enormous. And why turn on a fan, which costs electricity, when if you just leave the corn exposed and let the wind blow it does it for free? Also, those bubbles appear to be somewhat opaque, and that would reduce the sunlight striking the leaves and make for less photosynthesis, to which the plants would respond by putting more energy into bigger leaves and less left over for making seed. So not a good idea overall.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
your right it would take alot of these to replace the acreage currently used , but I can see how you could grow crops in multi level structures , in other words you could have 10 - 20 acres of farm in a 10-20 level multi leveled structure
that only occupies 1 acre of land that could be built basicaly anywhere on earth even in the middle of cities , and given the ecconomic cost advantages of transportation of crops , watering crops , etc this type of thing does make sence even if only on a large corporate level.

plus... we would no longer need to worry about drought.

there are many advantages in farming this way and this would
insist on the advancement of science and engineering.

opaque !
I was talking about the type of structure , of course the following shows that.

Quote:
thats a lot of water , why not put a bubble of transparant plastic

Quote:
And why turn on a fan, which costs electricity

!! solar powered fans !!

!! wind power when its blowing !!

there are ways around everything that could be thought of , and
the cities would have new industries that would pop up to support these farms.

the plants could even grow in pots , reducing the need for tractors and the fuel they burn.

there are too many positives to name , but this being a science forum I suppose that any proposed advancements in science should not be discussed here.

L
L
A 10- to 20-story cornfield? Really? Are we that desperate?

Also, why can't people learn spelling and punctuation (and basic proofreading) before they start writing things that will be read by other people?

I'm just asking. I'm pretty new to this stuff and seems to me that there's a language at play here that's sort of like the English language I've been using for 60 years or so, but it's spelled more randomly and punctuated more infrequently.

I'm off topic again. Sorry.

--lylwik

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
i thinkse itud be a goud idear ;

speakin about spellin back than when we was scoolin the word then waz the proper word. the spellin waz mch better : I ave noticed how people have forgotten the meaning of the word [then], and this can be found in abundance here in the scienceagogo furumz.

ie...

well I had rather do this then that.

the word than should have been used rather than the word then.

I notice things like this and I just dont mention them.

because I can still get the proposed meaning from what the person
has written , and this is supposed to be a science forum , not a grammar forum.

but it does seem to be more of a biatching forum.

Superstar
Superstar
Proper spelling and punctuation are elements of style, and it always makes a better impression when you spell correctly and use proper punctuation. Misspelled words and wrong use of punctuation leaves a bad impression, as though the writer was too ignorant or illiterate to do better. Certain errors can be expected, and for those for whom English is a second or third language, we have to take that into consideration. But misspellings and improper verbs and loose or nonexistent punctuation tend to say, "I don't care about being understood" and the risk of just ignoring those posts is increased. This forum is what you make of it. Please try to put your best foot forward and use correct spelling and punctuation when posting.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P

Quote:
Not much of a site. How much trust can you put in a site that pops up immediately with a link to legal advice in case one is "busted"?.

Quote:
Please try to put your best foot forward and use correct spelling and punctuation when posting.

I agree.

When you use a question mark to denote that a sentence is a question , you dont also need to use a period.

"busted"?.

Quote:

comma splice

Quote:
while; another

When using a semicolon you should use the semicolon between sentences , not in the same sentence.

Example: This could be a complete sentence; this could be another one.

Quote:
And why turn on a fan, which costs electricity, when if you just leave the corn exposed and let the wind blow it does it for free?

It cost money , not electricity.
when if you , should be replaced with , when you can.
does it , should have been left out.

ie.
Quote:
And why turn on a fan, which costs money, when you can just leave the corn exposed , and let the wind blow it for free?

If you dont like painting your barn red , why do you keep using red paint?

I'm sure there are many more errors on your part throughout the forum , but I will not continue this childish behavior.

Resorting to correcting someones grammar when faced with
opposing views in a discussion , does not tilt the discussion
in your favor , but lessens the value of your input into the discussion.

L
L
I'm very sorry to have caused this diversion from something I think is really important: the growth and use of ethanol.

I don't know how ethanol production works now or how it can be improved in the future. I would love to see us use the whole plant in developing fuels. Which technologies and which plants are amenable to that kind of development?

What about Switchgrass? Does it work that way?

I really want to know about these things.

Thanks.

--lylwik

Last edited by lylwik; 03/16/09 10:38 AM.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
lylwik

My main problem with this forum is the consistent negative attitude towards those who have or express their ideas.

You will find that expressing an idea on this forum , will lead
to the wolf pack surrounding , and attacking from all sides.

Quote:
really important: the growth and use of ethanol.

It is important to expand the use of a fuel such as ethanol.

Quote:
how ethanol production works now or how it can be improved in the future

The reason I posted the idea about the plastic bubbles , was to sudgest , what I thought to be an improvement in farming , and ethanol production.

Quote:
What about Switchgrass? Does it work that way?

I'm not into biology , sorry.

You would need to direct these questions to those here
who are.

L
L
Paul,

I'm really sorry I became part of the wolfpack. I'll try to do better in the future.

Now, I have the farmland in north Missouri and would like to use it to produce ethanol. I'm interested in switchgrass, or any crop in which the whole plant and not just the head is used. Even when I was growing up on the farm in the '50's, using only that little bit of a plant seemed inefficient. I kept my mouth shut then.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

--lylwik (learning slowly)

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
lylwik

You might want to see if you can grow sugar beets in your zone.

Quote:
The energy requirement for converting sugar into ethanol is about half that for corn.

Quote:
Sugar beet byproducts include beet pulp, which can be sold for animal feed, and molasses, which is also sold for animal feed or further processed to extract more sugar.

Quote:
Sugar beets have gained a greater share of U.S. sugar production over the past decade, now accounting for 58.8 percent of the nation’s sugar output while sugarcane fell to 41.2 percent. Sugar producers and the members of farmer-owned cooperatives are increasingly interested in new technologies and product markets for their crops, including the growing ethanol market.

I would think that by burning any unused parts of the plant
the ashes could be used as fertilizer.

also this would avoid alot of methane release due to decomposition.

Quote:
farmers to take ownership of their processing facilities

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/pub/sep06/ethanol.htm

then you might want to look into these web sites.

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/article.jsp?article_id=2751

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/energy.htm

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/article.jsp?article_id=5441

if you grow sugar beets or a small plant you should be able to
make ( M ) shaped structures to place every 10 - 20 feet in a row, you can then cover the plants with plastic sheeting , then place strips of wood or metal on top of the plastic sheeting where the ( V ) part of the ( M ) is to hold the sheeting down.

this should work , and there might be funding available to test it.

this should capture the evaporated water and direct it back onto the plants.

try a row.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.