Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45013 08/27/12 03:44 AM
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Every now an again you get some truely fascinating arguments in physics and ego's and one of those has just erupted.

The question is does QM allow for multiple universes to exist in other words a many worlds interpretation.

In the yes corner Brian Greene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Greene)

In the no corner Luboš Motl
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubo%C5%A1_Motl)

You will note Luboš actually translated Greene's book "The elegant universe". They are both string theorists so they aren't natural combatants infact usually you would say they would be on the same page.

Greene explained his views in his 2011 book "The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos" and it has obviously got some support out in the public.

Here is Luboš Motl reply and proof

http://motls.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/simple-proof-qm-implies-many-worlds.html

Obviously Luboš won't be translating Brian's latest book :-)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, I was most impressed by the responses of the Miss USA contestants talking about whether math should be taught in school. The biggest problem with that is that it is not real. snopes.com debunks it. But then that's the way things go.

As far as many worlds is concerned I am most familiar with it in Science Fiction, where it is diluted to being based on human choices. That is the universe splits at points where a significant choice is made by somebody. That of course is even more ridiculous than the quantum many worlds.

One of the problems with many worlds of course is that if a universe comes into being for every quantum probability the question of where the universe came from gets to be even more of a problem. Each universe has all the energy existing in the single universe before the split, where did all that energy come from?

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I believe there are those who try to solve the problem of where all the matter and energy comes from by reasoning that there is already an infinite supply on hand, and that the formation of a universe is simply a matter of organisation.

The problem I have with this is that for a universe to appear instantly from the infinite soup, information would have to travel faster than light.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂţ»­ľW
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.