Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#35595 07/26/10 12:23 AM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

Japan's solar sail Ikaros, is unfurled accelerating, and flying towards Venus.
Its guidance system has yet to be tested. But in all other respects its a great success.
Japan launched two Solar sails beck in 2004, plus the Americans and Russians have had a go, without much success. All have had unfurling problems due to the thin
silvered 'Mylar' involved.
Its unlikely that our sun would be strong enough to push a solar Sail beyond Jupiter?
But prehaps future guidance in that case could come from a Laser directed from the surface of Mars or an orbiting satellite?

http://www.space.com/news/solar-sail-exploration-hailed-100721.html

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

K
Megastar
Megastar
K
Awesome.

I suppose it should have no trouble getting past Jupiter - it can just keep on floating. Might be tricky coming back tho :P

Can't it be guided by radio like they're doing already?

I
I
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer
Its unlikely that our sun would be strong enough to push a solar Sail beyond Jupiter?

I think the consensus is that beyond mars, solar intensity provides minimal force. But that doesn't mean the sail can only go to mars - it'll go as far as its velocity allows - build up enough speed in the inner solar system and you could escape the suns gravity all together. You just wouldn't accelerate much once you pass the orbit or mars.

The idea of using orbital lasers is an old one, and one which would work so long as you can find someone you trust to have multi-megawatt lasers in orbit.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.