Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 424 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
IMO, more impressive than teleportation experiments.

It will be interseting to see what other interpretations are placed on the results.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
To show that the diamonds were truly entangled, the researchers hit them with a second laser pulse just 350 femtoseconds after the first. The second pulse picked up the energy the first pulse left behind, and reached the detector as an extra-energetic photon.

If the system were classical, the second photon should pick up extra energy only half the time – only if it happened to hit the diamond where the energy was deposited in the first place. But in 200 trillion trials, the team found that the second photon picked up extra energy every time. That means the energy was not localised in one diamond or the other, but that they shared the same vibrational state.

Could this not be interpreted as saying that only the photons from the lasers were entangled, rather than the diamonds?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
If the system were classical, the second photon should pick up extra energy only half the time – only if it happened to hit the diamond where the energy was deposited in the first place.

Why, in a classical system, would the energy not dissipate through the diamonds?

There never was nothing.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
It's called photoexcitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectrochemical_processes)

The incoming photon is absorbed by exciting one of the atom electrons to a higher state. The electron will eventually drop back down and emit the energy back out but in a very predictable way or emission.

The energy does not dissipate throught the diamond because it is converted to an elevated electron shell and the drop down from that level gives you your emmission. There is no ability within that process for energy to move around.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
The incoming photon....

Is a photon not a quantum object? Surely, in a classical interpretation, the incoming light would have to be considered as a wave.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Wiki
(Photoexcitation) The absorption of photon takes place in accordance to the Planck's Quantum Theory.

This still seems to leave my last question unanswered.

There never was nothing.
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
You asked two questions

1.) The photons are not entangled becuase the photons became excited electrons in an atom so the photons don't exist anymore.

2.) The energy is not dissipated throughout the diamond in a conventional sense because the energy became an excited electron. The electron may well spread throughout the diamond but thats not really spreading the energy throughout the diamond in a classic sense which would imply each atom received a part or a bit of energy.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Thanks Orac.

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.