Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41472 11/15/11 02:37 PM
O
Orac Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
O
Jester over at resonaances is report a possible CP violation in the LHC.

http://resonaances.blogspot.com/2011/11/lhcb-has-evidence-of-new-physics-maybe.html

Please don't ask me what the hell it all means I have no idea this is way outside my league.

I would be lucky to understand about half of what he has written there you really have to love those litle particle things to get that deep in.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Orac #41473 11/15/11 03:21 PM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Well, I read it. Sort of. I didn't understand what it was about either. I got the idea that there might be some kind of unexpected effect, but they weren't really sure yet. One thing that I did pick up on was that the standard deviation of the result was 3.5 Sigma. I recall that other times it has been said that they usually like a 6 Sigma result in physics, so this may be a false alarm

Maybe Ethan over at Starts With A Bang will discuss it.

Well, nothing there yet. He is going on about a new site that is about to open up with a lot more real scientific information than you can get from a lot of the media. He will be editor of the health and science sections. I will have to follow that as soon as it starts up.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.