Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar

The rise and fall of species on Earth might be driven in part by the undulating motions of our solar system as it travels through the disk of the Milky Way, scientists say.

Two years ago, scientists at the University of California, Berkeley found the marine fossil record shows that biodiversity—the number of different species alive on the planet—increases and decreases on a 62-million-year cycle. At least two of the Earths great mass extinctions—the Permian extinction 250 million years ago and the Ordovician extinction about 450 million years ago correspond with peaks of this cycle, which cant be explained by evolutionary theory.

Their idea hinges upon the fact that, appearances aside, stars are not fixed in space.

In particular, our Sun moves toward and away from the Milky Ways center, and also up and down through the galactic plane. One complete up-and-down cycle takes 64 million years— suspiciously similar to Earths biodiversity cycle.

The galactic bow shock is only present on the north side of the Milky Way’s galactic plane, because that is the side facing the Virgo Cluster as it moves through space, and it would cause superheated gas and cosmic rays to stream behind it, the researchers say. Normally, our galaxys magnetic field shields our solar system from this “galactic wind.” But every 64 million years, the solar systems cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

'When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays,' Melott told SPACE.com.

The boost in cosmic ray exposure could have both a direct and indirect effect on Earths organisms, said KU paleontologist Bruce Lieberman. The radiation could lead to higher rates of genetic mutations in organisms or interfere with their ability to repair DNA damage, potentially leading to diseases like cancer.

'I think its a very nice idea,' said Philip Appleton, a Caltech astronomer. 'I think were only beginning to come to grips with these kinds of behaviors. We’re realizing that not only do galaxies interact with each other gravitationally, but also that the environment they re traveling through the 'wind' they create can actually produce noticeable effects.'

Full Article Here

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070423_cosmic_evo.html

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Well, Mike, we seem to share a common interest. I posted this in the General Science forum a few days ago: "Galaxy bow shock and biodiversity cycle"

A different link, though:

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/Phys-fossil-biodiversity.html

I think it's tremendously interesting. About 25 years ago there was a theory of mass extinctions based on this movement of the Solar System through the galactic plane. That seems to have bitten the dust, but the biodiversity correlation in very convincing.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Mike. I read Rede's post a few days ago but, to get a different view I looked at your link. Basically a blank page. Lovely shade of green though. What's happened?

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Hmmmm, sounds as tho' you just got the green/blue background.

I dont think it uses "Quicktime"
But cut-down the URL to its basic ie. http://www.space.com/
...and go for the Science, tab first.

Mike Kremer.

Superstar
Superstar
I've clicked on Mike's post and found the article in question. Maybe your browser was having a bad hair day.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Originally Posted By: terrytnewzealand
Mike. I read Rede's post a few days ago but, to get a different view I looked at your link. Basically a blank page. Lovely shade of green though. What's happened?

As Amaranth said...must be me having a bad hair day, my browser slipped up?
I posted a possible answer in my second posting.
Wont post here again Redwenur, has done a great job elsewhere

Mike Kremer.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Thanks all. While flicking through I found this:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/070426_petm_volcano.html

I'll put it on climate change.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Mike: "Wont post here again Redwenur, has done a great job elsewhere"

- you're an honourable man, as ever grin

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.