DA and I are having a bit of a disagreement on another post and I wanted to post this here instead of hijacking the other thread more.

So, as a person who has graduated massage school and intends to become a therapist I have seen first hand as well as heard from instructors who are nurses and chiropractors how non-Western medicine can help conditions that Western medicine seems to only prescribe drugs for. Now I know the first thing out of DA's mouth will be where are the studies and I will provide them. One has to realize however that we are still working on getting massage viewed as a medical treatment so most medical professionals do like to do studies so I will provide information that is first or second hand experiences.

Multiple Sclerosis - my sister and one of my mom's friends has it. Both of them have completely stopped taking steroids and attend reflexology sessions. Why? In both situations the steroids did nothing to relieve symptoms or improve their conditions whereas the reflexology made the pain stopped and enable them to use the affected limbs much better then they had in years. My sister walks much better after reflexology for several days and her legs are not as stiff and useless. My mom's friend has been unable to use her arm due to pain. She went to reflexology and is using her arm in a normal manner now and has much less pain.

My teacher in massage school who was a nurse spoke of using massage to cure what the client had been told by doctor's was carpal tunnel. It was actually tense muscles in the pectoral area that once they were relaxed the pain and discomfort stopped. I can provide hundreds of examples but what I am curious about is if the people of science here see this profession and what it can do as scientific or not.

The reason I am curious is in trying to discuss some things with DA she kept mentioning people suffering in ignorance. Most if not all the knowledge we learned in school was based on oriental and other ancient knowledge that for a long time was disavowed as useless by the Western Medical community. Slowly that same community is realizing that these things are sometimes better treatments then what is available now.

Just a question for the posters.

With regards,

Chaoslillith