Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
It sounds like the cost of a higher education is about to plummet. First-tier institutions of higher learning are beginning to offer free online courses. Imagine taking Physics online from a UC Berkeley professor, complete with homework and tests. The mind boggles. Even old farts like me could retread into a new field with that kind of opportunity.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/elite-colleges-transform-online-higher-124855202.html

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
R2

would you retire when you reach retirement age?

it takes longer to get a online education.

some people just keep working after they reach retirement age
because they want to stay healthy and they need to be around people
and they have a need to be accomplishing something.

but you already have your core components dont you?

maybe thats why you like to move post around and bann people
so much , you need something to do , and we are available.

I think you should do the online courses myself , because that
might keep you busy and it would give us a break.

LOL

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
would you retire when you reach retirement age?

it takes longer to get a online education.

Doesn't that depend on how old you are when you start?

BTW: is "an" going out of fashion?

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
BTW: is "an" going out of fashion?

I guess so..

it will not be missed.

som*ti*es thi*gs ar* n*t mi*sed.

th* diffe*ence betw**n (a) an* (a*) *re min*s*ule.

s* wh* th* f*** *****

*O*

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Some of us like to keep our minds active. It helps keep us young.

Retire from what? You don't know the least thing about me. You don't know what my life is like. And you could care less. You just see me as a spoiler of your fun, someone to rail against when you are upset by something I do. An authority figure, to be taunted and teased. It is a sign of your immaturity that you do these things. I, on the other hand, have to overlook the jeers and jibes and continue to do my job, keeping the forum from being over-ridden with spammers advertizing their wares and worse. If on occasion I move a topic to another heading doesn't mean I am against the topic, it just means that logically it doesn't fit where it is put. Like it or not, I keep the peace on the forum.

And the grammatically correct form of the definite article "a" to use in front of a word beginning with a vowel is "an", not "a".

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I only asked.....didn't say I cared.
Quote:
*re

Should that have been "*s"?

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Rose
And you could care less.

I've noticed a growing use of this (with various persons) where "couldn't care less" might seem more appropriate.

Is this American usage? Not a criticism; just a question. smile

There never was nothing.
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
yes mam.

kind of like the hall monitor?

Quote:
Some of us like to keep our minds active. It helps keep us young.

it really does, and Im glad you are finally
participating in the forum as a member.

you have posted some interesting stuff.

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Is this American usage? Not a criticism; just a question.

this is A science forum.

LOL

P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Quote:
Should that have been "*s"?

you got me on that one.

yes it should have been "is".

sorry

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Bill S.
Originally Posted By: Rose
And you could care less.

I've noticed a growing use of this (with various persons) where "couldn't care less" might seem more appropriate.

Is this American usage? Not a criticism; just a question. smile

I'm not sure whether it is an Americanism, but it is widely used here. "Could care less" doesn't really make sense, but a lot of people use it. If you pay attention there are a lot of phrases of this general type that are widely used. You just have to accept them.

Heck, I've never figured out where the phrase "No better than she ought to be" came from. I have looked on the web, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the original source. In case you have some how missed that phrase it is used of a woman/girl who is free with her favors. But I don't think I ever heard of a man who was "no better than he should be".

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
That's an interesting expression Bill because it is very close to one from my homeland which an approximate translation is "she isn't worth the animals".

What it comes from is wives were "owned" and could be bought and sold, and in my homeland for animals.

So if you bought a cheap wife you got what you paid for is what the expression means.

These days wives are not owned but the expression still lives on which is where I think your expression comes from.

Last edited by Orac; 08/14/12 04:20 AM.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
Bil S- Until recently the expression was "couldn't care less" which makes perfect sense. Now "could care less' is heard very often and I think it is an American variation- it also makes no sense, and so doesn't mean the same as "couldn't care less" although that is the phrase which it usually replaces.

It is my second most annoying language slippage. I am glad to see the back of my first dislike--- 'cere-MOAN- y'-- instead of 'ceremony' . Here's to another 4 years without it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.