Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
U
http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2

"Gravity?which is taught to our children as a law?is founded on great gaps in understanding. The laws predict the mutual force between all bodies of mass, but they cannot explain that force. Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power."

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
J
j6p Offline
J
I think believers could do a better job advancing their agenda if they would adopt something more along the lines of; God created a vacuum by removing himself. And that's the condition that we live in now.
If they tried something along these lines, it would be easier for them to blend their beliefs with the scientific community's.

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by j6p:
I think believers could do a better job advancing their agenda if they would adopt something more along the lines of; God created a vacuum by removing himself. And that's the condition that we live in now.
If they tried something along these lines, it would be easier for them to blend their beliefs with the scientific community's.
I wonder where he/it went?

J
j6p Offline
J
Hmmm, maybe just a little beyond the range of our sensors.

H
H
The mentioned article published in the Onion is besides a big cranck, a good example of how well freedom of speech works: give everyone a chance to speak his or her mind and those who tell credible things can give new insights, those who make ridiculous claims make themselves known as such and are useful for an incredible good laugh. :0))

Another example of how well freedom of speech works can be found in another Science-a-go-go Forum, also about gravity, see
http://www.scienceagogo.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000313;p=0

where a few people have tried to insult the raiser of this forum, but eventually those who discuss on the basis of arguments really appear to have the last decisive word. So again, freedom of speech works.

Again, besides the onion article being a hoax, to obtain arguments from an alledged holy book makes critisizing these arguments a blasfemous act which some folks still see as a crime...

Regards, Hugo
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Uncle Al ... to quote James Traficant ...

"Many of them are so dumb they could throw themselves at the ground and miss"

DA Morgan
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No, it's the great flying spaghetti monster. He is everywhere, always, making everything move as he chooses. Hail to the great flying spaghetti monster!!

D
D
I suppose God made 1+1=2. He decided that a line and line = something that looks like a duck. And it gets more complicated. A spaghetti monster in a spaghetti world.

E
E
Enough already..........I had a great laugh with the Pastafarians............now this is just depressing me.........free speech ends when your fist ends up in my brain

Erich J. Knight
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pastafarians. I like that. Hail to the great spaghetti monster! May he get equal time in Kansas. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh hey gravity is really cool. that bushy guyz disoverc it rite? lol idk i tot like knew ton. i learn in school.

im gonna look at my notes brb

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Uncle Al, that was a great post:

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.php?issue=4133&n=2

"Gravity?which is taught to our children as a law?is founded on great gaps in understanding. The laws predict the mutual force between all bodies of mass, but they cannot explain that force. Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power."

Rep: This was the first time I read some of the ?science? the deeply religious folks gave been offering. ?Things fall to Earth because God is pushing them down? If their God existed he should have better things to do- like educating those PhD?s and Doctorates.

Even so there is a lingering mystery related to the effects of gravity. It is not believed to be dependent on electromagnetic effects yet the only things we find with similar effects are magnetic and static attraction. I argue, to the annoyance of some, that the positions of the orbiting objects has nothing to do with mutual attraction of the objects and that the respective objects could be swapped around and the orbits would be unchanged. If the Mass of an object did equate to the attraction exerted then Jupiter, it would seem, could have been pulled much closer to the Sun than it is, or not, depending on other factors unrelated to just Mass.

Those Bible thumping educators must learn a different science from ours.
jjw

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.