Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 424 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41733 12/03/11 01:08 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
The Sensitive Scientists’ Guide to Crackpots

All you need to know to make an informed choice as to the type of crackpot you want to be:

Type 1. The Pre-crackpot.

Choose a way-out idea; the more outlandish, the better.
Shout loudly about its veracity. Post in large font with lots of bold type and vivid colours.
Deny the qualifications and/or sanity of anyone who does not accept your theory without question.
Frequently indulge in name-calling.
Berate and verbally abuse anyone who asks a question.
Never accept that any part of your idea could be wrong.
Never answer questions, or even give the impression that questions might need to be answered.
Always be rude and abrasive.

Type 2. The Fin-crackpot.

Select an idea. Spend lots of time and effort turning it into a theory that will overturn accepted scientific belief.
Write a book.
Acknowledge that your idea could be wrong (but, of course it isn’t).
Accept that any relevant experimental results are valid, but question the interpretation of such results.
Appear to answer questions, even if you usually evade them.
Use plenty of repetition.
Never indulge in name-calling, however tempting it might be.
Always be courteous, it’s very disarming.

Type 3. The Sorin-crackpot.

Think of a theme, rather than an individual theory. (E.g. all current scientific belief is absurd).
Post long, involved explanations about various scientific ideas that demonstrate your point.
Link to lots of obscure references in languages that few (if any) will understand.
Use emotive terminology.
Suggest that all current scientific ideas are maintained by some form of conspiracy.
Having posted, vanish until you are ready to fire your next broadside.
Always avoid discussion.
Never answer questions.

Type 4. Rev-crackpot.

Select a broad-based concept.
Post long rambling contributions, about anything.
Where possible, answer a question with another question. Where this is not possible, answer a different question.
Make your answers as long and convoluted as possible.
If you agree with something someone has said, do it in such a way as to suggest something else might have been better.
Ensure that any point you make can be taken in as many ways as possible, this makes it easy to wrong-foot people.
Occasionally mis-interpret something someone has said so you can be “hurt”.
Counter a perceived criticism by defining a word from the “critical” post, whether the definition is relevant or not.
Always be polite.
Never paint yourself into a corner where God is concerned.

Type 5. BS-crackpot.

Think of an idea that has “infinite” ramifications.
Defend it with lavish verbosity.
Admit that your ideas are probably wrong, but act as though they were right.
Persist, niggle, argue; always politely of course; never back down.
Resist being drawn into mathematical arguments; you will undoubtedly come off worse.
Always answer questions. Whatever the question, try to refer to infinity somewhere in the answer.
Never let a serious discussion stand in the way of getting silly.

NB. This is purely a work of fiction any resemblance to any person, living or dead, is completely accidental.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41734 12/03/11 02:49 AM
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I'm glad I don't recognize any body from SAGG in your post. It is nice to have a forum where we have nice polite discussions about real science.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill S. #41735 12/03/11 03:26 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Quote:
It is nice to have a forum where we have nice polite discussions about real science.

On almost any other forum I would suspect a touch of sarcasm there, but not on SAGG, of course.

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41741 12/04/11 02:40 PM
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
I note that an instance of Type 1 has reared its ugly head again. One must accept that mods sometimes have a tricky task weighing freedom of speech and expression on the one hand against crass provocation and abusiveness on the other. In such cases, the ball tends to be in the court of forum users, and it's my hope that they will not demean themselves by providing direct responses to that uniquely unsavory brand of Crackpottery.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
redewenur #41745 12/05/11 02:17 AM
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Never seen any of those types ... really I haven't :=)

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
Bill S. #41791 12/12/11 08:52 PM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
I checked out the link. The thing that I really liked in it is the reference to string theory. I tend to agree with what was said. I am far from being able to understand any of the math, but string theorists are talking about stuff that doesn't seem to have much to do with the real world, they can't even tie their work to any real observations. It is all mental gymnastics, with no evident reality.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
Bill S. #41795 12/13/11 03:12 AM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
Bill, I'm a little sorry to say this, because I have a sneeking liking for string theory, but I have to agree with you. With much less regret, I have to say the same for multiverse theories. Having said that, I'm only a hitch-hiker, so what do I know. frown

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41797 12/13/11 03:57 AM
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
At least you could tie string theory to other stuff!

Bill S. #41800 12/13/11 04:02 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
That's (K)not bad!

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41801 12/13/11 04:05 PM
B
Bill S. Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
B
I was just thinking how easily a thread can become silly, then I remembered; this one was silly when it started. laugh

There never was nothing.
Bill S. #41802 12/13/11 04:27 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
Im glad we now have a few established guidelines for reference purposes just in case we get a real crackpot in the forum.

this way we can tell who the actual crackpots are.

mostly I believe that most people who are considered to be crackpots are being considered to be crackpots by actual crackpots!

but the actual crackpots actually believe themselves to be
non crackpots because the so called knowledge they have acquired along with the so called knowledge that there peers have acquired fits into the same sized box with the same lettering.

and if someone comes along and tries to put more stuff into their box they and there peers reject the stuff because there boxes are already full , they didnt get expandable boxes.

and besides their boxes have a lock on them that prevents insertion of new stuff.

it doesnt really matter if the stuff is right or wrong stuff , it just wont fit in with the stuff they already have in their boxes.

so they just decide that any new stuff couldnt possibly be correct or worthwhile stuff that should be put in their boxes even if they could put more stuff in their boxes.

which they cant.

they will have to get expandable boxes first.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.