Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13503 12/05/05 05:22 PM
T
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
T
From the Defenders of the Faith, which I've quoted following from the following site: http://prorev.com/religion.htm

[From "Physics for Christian Schools," by R. Terrance Egolf and Linda Shumate (Bob Jones University, 2004)]

"First, all secular science is pervaded by mechanistic, naturalistic and evolutionistic philosophy. Learning that the laws of mechanics as they pertain to a baseball in flight are just the natural consequences of the way matter came together denies the wisdom and power of our Creator God."

"Trying to believe both secular physics and the Bible leaves you in a state of confusion that will weaken your faith in God's Word."

I want so badly for us to reach some kind of compromise. It's not sufficient - for me - that evolutionists win the battle or even the war. We need to win the hearts and minds of the believers; otherwise, we'll be in a position where everyone gets schooled in the stuff and a substantial number of them "don't really believe it," a sort of intellectual balkanization. I want to compromise because I don't want to waste time while there is real work to be done and real questions to answer. I want to compromise because I want my own kids and other kids to SEE us compromise. And I want to compromise because that is the way I think adults should behave.

And then I see tripe like the above and I realize that for some people there just isn't going to be any compromise. It aint just evolution that's under attack. All of science is under siege.

#13504 12/06/05 02:31 PM
You can't win 'em all over!

If someone is concerned that the physics of a ball in flight is going to turn people away from their religion, their congregation must be rather small. I think there has always been a lunatic fringe, and reason means little to them.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#13505 01/07/06 06:12 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Fiend wrote:
"It aint just evolution that's under attack. All of science is under siege."

Finally: Your're getting it.

Now pick up a good copy of Orwell's "1984" and Postman's "Amusing Ourselves to Death" and consider the future.

There won't be one if they win.

All of humankind has spent the last 5,000 years living under conditions we would consider inhumane ... except for a small number of us in first world countries. The people that cloak themselves in the flag, in god, and in other nonsense are trying to take us back to the good old days .... People needs to start asking: "Good for who?"

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.