Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49466 08/18/13 03:48 PM
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Researchers have found evidence that cat purring is beneficial to our bones.

http://suite101.com/article/cat-purring-heals-humans-too-a301041#.UhCJr_Mgv6c.facebook

I can imagine a doctor prescribing medications to an osteoporosis sufferer, and ending with, "and get yourself a cat."

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B

Alfie says he'll fix your bones, any time you like!

There never was nothing.
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
LOL Pretty cat, Bill. All my cats died last year after some mysterious illness hit them. So I am without cats. It makes my life more mobile, but I miss their purring. I guess there are tradeoffs in life. I won't have another cat until I am sure whatever killed my darlings is out of here. It hurts too much to lose them.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Our sympathy for the loss of your cats, Rose. We lost three in fairly quick succession a few years ago. Nothing is able to replace them. Of course we can't tell Alfie that. He says it would be sure to help if I sent a soothing picture of him. In fact, he considers it very unfair that there are so many people in the world who lack the immense benefit of his presence.

He specially chose this picture because it reminds him of one of the few times we have actually given him something worth eating.

There never was nothing.
Megastar
Megastar
Of Course! Decades ago, many visionaries, with whom I agree, predicted:

One day humanity, with the help of science, will be convinced that, in life there is always a role--FOR GOOD, OR ILL--for what is called: The three basic components:

1. the physical, or somatological, component--the cat, the dog, whatever it is we love.

2. the mental, or psychological, COMPONENT--they things we learn from our experience with life, and

3. the spiritual, or pneumatological, component--the way react to what we experience, physically, mentally and spiritually. Make common sense?

In brief: Life is like a tripod. There is a physical, mental spiritual pod. Omit any one and the other two will not work.

Last edited by Revlgking; 08/22/13 01:24 AM. Reason: Always helpful

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
R2

they meow and they purr , and you can shut them off.

they dont eat food but they still consume energy.

no litter box cleaning either.

you could even carry them around with you.

I dont know if they have the motor thingy in them though.

or is the motor thingy what purring is ?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/400548633534?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2648060416/h290ABE80/[/img]

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Megastar
Megastar
RevLindsayGKing
• a few seconds ago

In the 1960s, we were adopted by a young ginger-coloured cat--one the family grew to love--who had already adopted our, then a pre-teen, daughter. This happened at her school, near to where we lived.

Quite some time later, Taffy suffered a near-fatal run-in with a motor cycle. How he managed to drag his badly-damaged rear end back home was a mystery to Jean and me. Immediately we found him, we took him, then in a state of shock, to the local vet with one thought in mind:

"Put him out of his misery..."

Following an X-ray, taken to assess the damage done, the good vet told us: "The prognosis is not good ... extensive surgery is needed..." Then he gave Taffy some pain-killing medication and suggested: "Take Taffy home. Let us see if he survives the night. He did! Without expensive care, he went on to live, happily for all concerned, to be 12. Ask us about how we found out about the value of using the adult-size-sleeping-pill solution for .............

G~O~D--Now & ForeverIS:Nature, Nurture & PNEUMA-ture, Thanks to Warren Farr&ME AT www.unitheist.org
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
I hate cats so I am doomed to never be healed smile

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Orac
I hate cats so I am doomed to never be healed

People who hate cats were probably mice in a previous incarnation.

There never was nothing.
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
I think this research could lead to development of a device which recreates the purr of a cat without the cat. That would solve the problem for cat-haters like Orac. If it were a little box that you could just turn on and hold, I'm sure people would be more likely to use it, and you wouldn't have to clean a litter box or provide food and water for it. Not to mention accidentally stepping on tails or finding cat hair on your favorite suit.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.