Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48357 03/22/13 01:33 AM
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
Science has been pushing back the age of the universe. New info shows it's older than we thought.

http://news.yahoo.com/universe-older-previously-thought-study-shows-200805019.html

Not for Paul.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Good info. I just found some more. Ethan Siegel has a discussion of the results that they found on his blog. What The Entire Universe Is Made Of, Thanks to Planck!. He expands on the news with some interesting details.

Bill Gill

C is not the speed of light in a vacuum.
C is the universal speed limit.
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
The fact that the Big Bang happened about 13.8 bya is not exciting. What is exciting is the fact that we can know it.

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
The fact that the Big Bang happened about 13.8 bya is not exciting. What is exciting is the fact that we can know it.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

....and the possibility that the Universe is slowing down, as it ages.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
....and the possibility that the Universe is slowing down, as it ages

What I read is:

"Compared to the previous best measurements, the universe is...expanding a little more slowly than currently accepted standards."

- which says that the acceleration is a little less, not that the expansion is slowing.

So, the revised Hubble Constant is about 42miles/s/Mpc. You see? Douglas Adams was right, the answer is 42 grin

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
....and the possibility that the Universe is slowing down, as it ages

What I read is:

"Compared to the previous best measurements, the universe is...expanding a little more slowly than currently accepted standards."

- which says that the acceleration is a little less, not that the expansion is slowing.

So, the revised Hubble Constant is about 42miles/s/Mpc. You see? Douglas Adams was right, the answer is 42 grin

What Pete reads is....

I appreciate your opinion.
However, since the Universe is expanding more slowly....I feel
its expansion must be slower as well. q.e.d

I intimated above, that both measurements may well be tied to the age of the Universe and therefore
could be changing as the Universe ages.
A future detailed map of the oldest light in the Universe in another 50 years would answer this idea.

Since Age...is tied to the process of slowing down, in my personal case, grin -as well as a number of actions in the physical world, my idea could prove correct.

Interesting Video, re:- ancient light.

http://www.space.com/20333-ancient-light-of-the-universe-snapped-by-planck-mission-video.html

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 03/22/13 01:08 PM. Reason: moved icon

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
One thing that was interesting in Eric Siegel's post was that they found no evidence of a neutral neutrino. The main reason I noticed was that there was an article about neutrinos in the latest Scientific American (April 2013). In that article the author mentioned the possibility of a neutral neutrino as a 4th flavor. They said that we might be able to detect it in the microwave background. So the fact that it wasn't found seems to close that question.

Bill Gill

R
Megastar
Megastar
R

Since the facts are not a matter of opinion, we should tidy this up. It is not stated, nor suggested, that the universe is expanding at a decreasing rate over time. It is stated that the rate of expansion is slower than previously thought. Can you see the difference, Mike?

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Bill
In that article the author mentioned the possibility of a neutral neutrino as a 4th flavor. They said that we might be able to detect it in the microwave background. So the fact that it wasn't found seems to close that question.

Bill Gill

They did say 'might' . How conclusive should we take it's non-detection to be, I wonder?

M
Megastar
Megastar
M

Since the facts are not a matter of opinion, we should tidy this up. It is not stated, nor suggested, that the universe is expanding at a decreasing rate over time. It is stated that the rate of expansion is slower than previously thought. Can you see the difference, Mike?

Mike replied;-

The matter of opinion, or
the difference, as I see it...only came to 'light' because of the latest more accurate measurements, which shows the expansion is now slower than we thought.
If a third set of future measurements (50 years on) show the same effect,
i.e yet a slower rate of expansion than our present (2013 year) readings,
what might you think then?

Clue...there are two possibilities, and I have stated mine.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
In that article the author mentioned the possibility of a neutral neutrino as a 4th flavor. They said that we might be able to detect it in the microwave background. So the fact that it wasn't found seems to close that question.

Bill Gill

They did say 'might' . How conclusive should we take it's non-detection to be, I wonder?

There is basically nothing totally conclusive in science, especially when you are talking about something that is still open to interpretation. I would say that this observation lowers the probability of the existence of the neutral neutrino, but doesn't necessarily completely knock it out.

Bill Gill

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
If a third set of future measurements (50 years on) show the same effect, i.e yet a slower rate of expansion than our present (2013 year) readings,
what might you think then?

Clue...there are two possibilities, and I have stated mine.

The present readings are showing no such 'effect'. They are showing the previous readings to be incorrect; but, of course, you're free to believe what you like, evidence notwithstanding.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R

Bill Gill

...I would say that this observation lowers the probability of the existence of the neutral neutrino, but doesn't necessarily completely knock it out.

Bill Gill

Agreed. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant in your previous post.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.