Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
R
"Scientists have confirmed for the first time that an important component of early genetic material which has been found in meteorite fragments is extraterrestrial in origin, in a paper published on 15 June 2008...The materials they have found include the molecules uracil and xanthine, which are precursors to the molecules that make up DNA and RNA, and are known as nucleobases."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-06/icl-sct061308.php

Uracil has the ability to absorb light. Is it possible that it could have been an energy source for the first self-replicating molecular structures?

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
R
R
I printed out the article and after I read the articles on quantum physics I'll read this one too.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: redewenur
"Scientists have confirmed for the first time that an important component of early genetic material which has been found in meteorite fragments is extraterrestrial in origin, in a paper published on 15 June 2008...The materials they have found include the molecules uracil and xanthine, which are precursors to the molecules that make up DNA and RNA, and are known as nucleobases."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-06/icl-sct061308.php

Since Uracil has the ability to absorb light. Is it possible that it could be an energy source for the first self-replicating molecular structures?

Reply=Mike Kremer

A wonderful and important find, redewenur.
Since Uracil has the ability to absorb light, I wonder whether it might act as the power house for 'living' molecules out in Space? Just a thought.

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 06/16/08 01:03 PM.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
deep32
Unregistered
deep32
Unregistered
D
A very amazing and really wonderful foundation by redewenur.
I like it and will definitely read it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.