Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21792 05/25/07 05:52 AM
samwik Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Infants stun scientists with 'amazing' insights:
Babies only look clueless - they know a lot more than you think

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18849824/wid/11915773?GT1=9951

"...they can hear the difference between foreign language sounds that elude most adults."

"Infants in their first six months can tell the difference between two monkey faces that an older person would say are identical, and they can match calls that monkeys make with pictures of their faces."

"...presented in the May 25 issue of the journal Science, is that infants just 4 months old can tell whether someone is speaking in their native tongue or not without any sound, just by watching a silent movie of their speech. This ability disappears by the age of 8 months...."

Originally Posted By: ...just from a related link. FOR AN ENJOYABLE READ
Title: She moves in mysterious ways. Theories on why women ....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18039615/
"Male nipples are trivial; they are laughable. Female orgasm is a definite phenomenon, more Technicolor as opposed to male orgasm."
& "Hence the big red butts advertising "Sexy girl here!" meant to appeal to our visual sense."

"Ben Franklin noted that he could 'understand French better by the help of his spectacles.' "

I bet there are some fascinating genetics involved with brain structure and function. smile

~Samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
E
Megastar
Megastar
E
New born babies react to their mothers' smell with eye movements, and they recognise her face and/ or voice (mouth) very early too. ( I was going to type "primary carer instead of mother, but I believe the research was on mothers and babies). It used to be considered that babies were insensate, but that idea is disappearing with more research on neo-nates.

Sam-The research above makes sense in view of the fact that if you wish a child to be bi-lingual you must expose it to both languages from day one!

Yay Ben1--I definitely hear better on a phone when I wear my glasses!!

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It's not all that surprising when you think about it. After all humans have survived for a couple of million years and had genes for language development for an unknown stretch of that time. The basic elements must have had survival value as long ago as Homo erectus.

T
Tim Offline
T
Yeah, I read that article, too, pretty interesting.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.