Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9589 11/25/06 06:04 AM
samwik Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
Hey! Has anyone heard about this? I remember when the ?Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Interfacial Electrochemistry? came out with the Cold Fusion thing back in the (late 80's?). This sounds new and different.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/nov/19/teen_creates_nuclear_fusion_basement/

But to his friends, Thiago is known as ?the mad scientist.?
In the basement of his parents? Oakland Township, Mich., home, tucked away in an area most aren?t privy to see, Thiago is exhausting his love of physics on a project that has taken him more than two years and 1,000 hours to research and build ? a large, intricate machine that, on a small scale, creates nuclear fusion.

Then, deuterium gas ? a form of hydrogen ? is injected into the vacuum. About 40,000 volts of electricity are charged into the chamber from a piece of equipment taken from an old mammogram machine. As the machine runs, the atoms in the chamber are attracted to the center and soon ? ta da ? nuclear fusion.

?Originally, he wanted to build a hyperbolic chamber,? she [mom] said, adding that she promptly said no. But, when he came asking about the nuclear fusion machine, she relented.

*_*

Oh, well if it's just a nuclear fusion machine, okay....

~samwik

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
#9590 11/25/06 05:59 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I heard about it. I suspect the amount of "fusion" is marginal if present but the articles don't give much reason to believe one way or the other.

Mostly I just admire the kid for doing what he's done.

DA Morgan
#9591 11/25/06 11:47 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
A reversed-voltage Geiger-Muller tube filled with deuterium gas with a trace of methyl iodide will give you hot fusion at the center electrode nice as you please. So? It's an economic joke -thoroughly detailed and costed for production of tritium by the DoD. Even the idiot DoD couldn't rationalize the cost/curie. Back to fission reactors and Al+Li alloy.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#9592 11/27/06 10:01 AM
E
E
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:
A reversed-voltage Geiger-Muller tube filled with deuterium gas with a trace of methyl iodide will give you hot fusion at the center electrode nice as you please.
This boy have used different, and interesting to me, setup.
The reporting is idiotic as usual, 't does not even stress that it is NOT cold fusion, but a hot one at low temp, as voltage substitute for temp.
At the first glance seems to be much better than costly tyre setup, as it allows direct current instead of pulses.
I hope boy has good sense of remote controlling the thing, since it obviously produces a lot of x-rays, some gamma-rays and neutrones etc.

E laugh S

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.