Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7518 07/01/06 07:11 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi every1...
I have this school project, you have to make a device which can carry an egg four metres, not further, no less. Without batteries, eletronic devices, and me. Any idea how to construct one which can hold a hardboiled egg?
Thanks,
evil person

#7519 07/01/06 03:59 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
a basket on a string comes to mind. put the egg in the basket, and slide the basket along the string. the basket can be lined to protect the egg.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#7520 07/01/06 07:46 PM
P
P
You would encounter some difficulty with a
four meter, weight bearing catenary.
There would be enough 'sag` to stop your
basket unless there was a LOT of tension
on the line.
How about a pair of 2 pulley blocks,
(which can be arranged to pull a line
four meters for a one meter drop of a
weight).
This will give you a four meter gravity
traction engine to pull your egg basket
across a floor.
Hint: Size the weight to just overcome the
friction of the system so the basket with
the egg stops at four meters.

Uh, DeHammer, - He who aspires to 'realise`
should learn to spell it. -- **REALIZE!**

#7521 07/01/06 10:53 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Hi esg:

It is not just everyday that a genius prods this forum for advice, you say,

"I have this school project, you have to make a device which can carry an egg four metres, not further, no less. Without batteries, eletronic devices, and me. Any idea how to construct one which can hold a hardboiled egg?"

This brings back my model airplane days. I think the power of choice will be twisted rubber bands. The distance limit is tricky but possible. It seems that speed is not a factor so a fast start with a sudden finish should be acceptable. 4 meters (I really dislike meters) is about 12 feet + a bit. The next challenge is the "carry" part because I would prefer a rolling egg to get there all nice and tidy. So I suggest a minature baby style buggy to nestle your egg. The hind wheels have a rubbeg band fastenened to the bottom of the buggy so when you wind up the wheels the axel can turn to make the cart move. The fron wheels have just enough line wrapped around the axel to permit the cart to travel the 4 meters. In theory by trial and error as part of your testing you will learn to rotate the back wheels enough for the trip and to fail towards the end. While the rubberband is unloading its tension it mus have the means to take the line from the front wheels so at the end of four meters they will brake the travel.

I think it sound harder than it is and done right will be very impressive. I note another member brought good old gravity into play but to me that requires a lot of secondary devices for height and etc. Another way I thought of was to use the egg weight as our motivation and that would satisfy those hungry for some gravitation while preserving some artistic merit.
Incidentally a hard boiled egg makes it easier.
jjw

#7522 07/02/06 02:04 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Pragmatist:
really?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/realise

5. realise - be fully aware or cognizant of
agnise, agnize, realize, recognize, recognise
cognise, cognize, know - be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of information; possess knowledge or information about

#7523 07/02/06 08:56 AM
K
K
I sincerely hope that you're not now going to start arguing about US vs British spelling?

#7524 07/02/06 03:07 PM
B
Superstar
Superstar
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Pragmatist:
OH - SO YOU YANKEES ARE NOT CONTENT WITH DOMINATING THE WORLD'S CULTURAL LANDSCAPE AND TURNING US ALL INTO BLIMPS WITH YOUR BURGERS AND FRIES, HEY? NOT CONTENT WITH DOMINATING FILMS WITH YOUR HOLLYWOOD ACTION MOVIES, HEY, ARE YOU? OH NO, NOW WE MUST ALL SPELL JUST LIKE YOU WITH YOUR Zs!!!! WELL US BRITZ WILL FIGHT YOU TO THE END.

laugh Just joking Kate.

Blacknad.

#7525 07/02/06 05:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Methinks we rather strayed from the point of this thread, which was to design an egg carrier. Let's keep to the science and let spellings be spellings. Let us not forget that the US and the UK are two nations divided by a common language. smile

#7526 07/02/06 08:20 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
perhaps the string would have had too much give. maybe a wire. the thing is that if you calculate it right, the point where it reaches the bottom of the sag (more likely using trial and error) would be the point where you want it to stop.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.