Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Anyone knows about substances found in brain who works as self-stimulation of the same brain. ?

confused

mfm
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Is English your first language? Are you in grade school? A meaningful answer must be scaled to its target's abilities.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
M
OP Offline
M
Not at all, its spanish. Did you understood my question about brain substances or not ?

mfm
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
It's called "addiction," e.g.,

http://www.davidbrin.com/addiction.html

Get pierced or tattooed without anesthesia, get a happy flow of endorphins and enkephalins. Do it again and again. Or cut to the chase,

Google
wireheads niven 229 hits

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
D
D
Thanks Al, David Brin's ideas are very interesting and gave me something to think about. But I disagree with him because he doesn't hold them objectively enough, he has an agenda like all of us perhaps, but his is too obvious. Phrases like: life's wholesome pleasures; We all know self-righteous people. Brin explains his problem as such... "Except a relentless increase in irrationally indignant behavior, everywhere in society and across all political spectra". People have been saying this since the dawn of time. Brin wants calmness and stability which he sees as more reasoned than violence and instability. Put too bluntly and too briefly which I apologise in advance for. He's simply picked a side, in analising the facts of addiction, suited to his lifestyle. And not suited to the life of someone at the bottom of the pile. He pretends this advanced thinking suits all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't blame Brin for wanting calmness and stability, but too much of a static society tends to negate any social progress. Without struggle there is no need for excellence, and without excellence there can be no goals to achieve. I wonder if Brin's Science Fiction works are utopian in nature? Not having read any of his work I'm withholding judgment, of course.

Not that I'm in favor of violence, I just think that it will always be with us. Unless we are willing and able to teach our young people how to get along and play on the team, whether it is in sports or in marriage or parenthood, we will always have some individuals who rule from might, not right. Peace comes with a pricetag; some indviduals may not be able to learn non-violent ways of coping. For some individuals, violence is habit-forming; it gives an adrenaline rush and a feeling of euphoria afterwards, I understand, and I can see how it would be easy to form an addiction to that. So do some people thrive on stress while others suffer greatly. It's the challenge! If it is addictive, then people will be found addicted to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree he seems to have an agenda. I wonder what his science fiction is like, if he thinks like this. Utopias, anyone? It's hard to create a perfect world with us imperfect humans in it. I'd have to see some of his work before I judged it, so I'm holding off on an opinion. From what he says in the website, it sounds like he thinks peace is progress.

He does raise the question of positive addictions, though. If exercise or marathon running can do that for people without drugs, why are so few people doing it? I know a great many self-righteous ones, though, that seems to be a common addiction. ;-)

M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:
It's called "addiction," e.g.,

http://www.davidbrin.com/addiction.html

No, please, isnt that i find.
My query is about real susbtance which is produced for the human brain, and it can be consumed for the same brain. I search for his name, or the investigation team that extracted such substance.
shocked

mfm
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
perhaps if you were a little bit more verbose about the subject others might understand what your asking.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:
perhaps if you were a little bit more verbose about the subject others might understand what your asking.
But how to explain about something that only knows its existence ?

Ill try, object of discovery this year 2006, in the firts months, perhaps March, April. The news was published in the newspapers specialized on science.
Its not a drug, but like a drug, issued for the brain. His goal is the stimulation of the cerebral activity, i think- its my opinion- stimulate the intelligence, like a catalyst in the chemicals reactions.
Enough just ?

mfm
E
E
"...consternation turns to lucidation!"
'I think we're all bozo's on this bus', by Firesign Theatre

'Utopian',,, I would have to say that you've hit it,,, though as one of my favorites (as a young sci-fi enthusiast) it pains a bit to see the simplification. (It was Brin, 'Uplift Wars', and Brunner, 'Stand on Zanzibar',,, that turned me toward biochem and genetics,,, way back in the day wink

Utopian, but not without the struggle, first, and the epiphany,,, and just a bit of help from where one least expects it,,, real life stuff~

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by manfermef:
But how to explain about something that only knows its existence ?

Ill try, object of discovery this year 2006, in the firts months, perhaps March, April. The news was published in the newspapers specialized on science.
can you give a link to the magazine ariticle. that way we can understand what you are refering to.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
can you give a link to the magazine ariticle. that way we can understand what you are refering to. [/QB]
If i have the link i didn't published that post, sir.

I read that article in a web page and lost mysteriously from my favourites.
mad

mfm
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
mfm:

I tried to find something on what I think your point is soley on potential brain injections. If I was really serious I would concentrate on animal testing due to the limited efforts of that kind on people. I did not search that. Not being my interest I got bored with the effort.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/biomedical/cfnr/Abbott%20Neurochem%20Int%2010-031.pdf

That paper discusses various studies for brain fluids and injections.

The following may touch on your interest.

[PDF] of CSF CSF Bulk Flow
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
drawal and reinjection of metrizamide-containing CSF. Because of the delayed mixing observed ... containing CSF from adjacent brain substance. Ventricular ...
doi.wiley.com/10.1002/ana.410020610 - Similar pages

The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, and Critical Care ...
After reinjection of labeled RBCs, 1 mL of heparinized blood was drawn every ... the probe will detect significant blood from outside the brain substance, ...
www.jtrauma.com/pt/re/jtrauma/ fulltext.00005373-199509000-00012.htm - Similar pages

[PDF] Experience with the antirabic vaccination in the two world wars
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
the works of Hempt. The brain was exhausted by the means of ether,. with the aim of separating the inactive lipoid substances from the cellu-. lar elements. ...
www.springerlink.com/index/L1528KL17V66G015.pdf - Similar pages

Good luck, jjw

M
OP Offline
M
Many, many tks, for your links...
Ive tried some of them, and subcribe to
http://refscout.com/login.html
receiving by email a list of news weekly.

When finded i'll advise
Tks, again

mfm

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.