Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6334 03/31/06 02:14 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Physicists have confirmed that neutrinos, which are thought to have played a key role during the creation of the Universe, have mass.

This is the first major finding of the US-based Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Search (Minos) experiment.

The findings suggest that the Standard Model, which describes how the building blocks of the Universe behave and interact, needs a revision.

For more:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4862112.stm

DA Morgan
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Physicists have confirmed that neutrinos, which are thought to have played a key role during the creation of the Universe, have mass.

This is the first major finding of the US-based Main Injector Neutrino Oscillation Search (Minos) experiment.

The findings suggest that the Standard Model, which describes how the building blocks of the Universe behave and interact, needs a revision.

For more:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4862112.stm
One of the smartest people I knew in grad school worked on Neutrino oscillations. At least, he did for a summer. At the end of his first summer, he walked into the office of the Prof running the project and told the Prof basicall, "I have no confidence that Neutrino oscillations will be observed in the near future. If they are, I don't think they will be oberved here."

Took a lot of guts. He was correct.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
But now they have been observed.

And the consequence is that the Standard Model must fall as I think we all knew it would.

DA Morgan
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
But now they have been observed.

And the consequence is that the Standard Model must fall as I think we all knew it would.
It will take a while, and a lot of agreement before the Standard Model is replaced.

So they produce a stream of Muon Neutrinos, they have no charge, therefore undeflected by anything.
Meaning that they must be incredibly Googoplex small, to be able to pass between the atomic orbits of everyday matter, and thru our Earth....would'nt you say? So how the heck is one able to be sure of perfect alignment between the Muon producer and the detector, 450 miles away buried in the Earth? Maybe some of those Neutrinos detected, have "oscillated in from space" along a similar alignment/tradgectory?
I'm not tryimg to be awkward, but I bet they got a way to go yet

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Simply put ... measuring the number of detections when the muon producer is turned off ... compared with the number when it is turned on provides a simple yet accurate test.

DA Morgan
P
P
Maybe a dumb question but:
If the neutrino carries energy there is SOME mass.
Wasn't this the origional reason for it's proposal
the "missing mass"?
The model, as I understand posits zero 'rest mass`.
The photon has zero 'rest mass` but has 'real mass`
due to the energy it carries.
Why does 'rest mass` differ from 'real mass` in this
instance?
Pragmatist
"!!I'M SO CONFUSED!!" - Vinny Barbarino 1972

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.