Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1169 04/05/05 09:31 PM
J
Johan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am writing a thesis on ultrasonic measurement, but now i need to know the speed of sound in different materials, like petroleum oil and parafinnic wax(deposited from crude oil). Is there anyone who can give me a link where I can find these values?

Johan VS

-Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a raindance.
#1170 04/06/05 02:54 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
The Speed of Sound in various liquids will vary, according to its temperature, pressure, density and cavitation.
One method might be, to get hold of an Ultrasonic Cleaner. Stick an additional Piezo electric transducer onto one side. Single pulse the Cleaner, with both transducers connected to a very fast dual trace Oscilloscope. Thus measuring the pulse/echo return.
A more simplistic idea would be:-
Stick two piezo transducers into opposite ends of a long glass tank. To prevent pulse/reflective overlap (for ease of measuring) use the shortest pulse possible. Simply discharging a small capacitor into your 'transmitting' transducer might work?
Get your University boffins to help out, it could turn out to be an interesting project.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#1171 04/09/05 03:56 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
The only way to know for a given sample of indeterminate composition is to ping it, measure time delay of propagation, and find out. Are they dispersive media for propagation vs. frequency? Does amplitude matter? Look at the densities of liquid and solid paraffin. A highly compressible medium will have its properties depend on temperature and depth.

Are the media inhomogeneous over the distance of a wavelength or more? Are there particulates to cause scattering? Is there composition stratification?

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.