Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#560 11/18/04 07:50 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
The last probable common ancestor to humans and great apes had a body like an ape, fingers like a chimp and the upright posture of humans, according to researchers who unearthed a fossil of the animal in Spain.

advertisement
A husband-and-wife team of fossil sleuths reopened an excavation site near Barcelona, discovering a 13 million-year-old animal that bridges the gap between earlier, primitive animals and later, modern creatures.

This newest ape species, Pierolapithecus catalaunicus, is so significant that it adds a new page to ancient human history.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6522090/

So where are all the fundys going to go and hide? In self-righteousness as always.

DA Morgan
#561 11/19/04 12:09 AM
K
K
Quote:
had a body like an ape, fingers like a chimp and the upright posture of a human...
sounds like some people I know today...

#562 11/19/04 03:19 AM
K
K
Intersting how it was found in Spain?

i need ot go and look at my geologic clock, to see where the continents were 13 mill years ago.

#563 11/19/04 05:18 PM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Kate ... perhaps you should stop hanging out in singles bars.

DA Morgan
#564 11/20/04 06:16 PM
K
K
There is a small thing not pretty good in that discovery, it's because they have found only one partial squeleton but have not restrain themseves to erect a new species on his base. This is not a good thing to do IMHO. How could they be sure this remain don't belong to a pathological individual, which could not be so typical as expected and so should be able to ruin any phylogenetic reconstruction.
Who knows ? Not very parcimonious.

Sensationalism again when the discovery deals with hominids fossils. This must end.

Anyways, it's a nice discovery.

#565 11/22/04 01:13 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
Is this your first exposure to how fossils are found, identified, and classified?

One is all they need.

DA Morgan
#566 11/28/04 07:50 PM
A
A
All I have to say is msnbc shouldn't have big stupid no-frame animated ads that show up in the middle of the screen.

that and I'm glad it looks like they found a hip bone or I'd have some ... "bones" about how they know how the critter stood. Also interesting it was found in Spain, that seems to fit pretty well.

Good article.

#567 12/18/04 06:55 PM
A
A
interesting...i'm willing to wait and see

i suspect that in a few months or years, this fossil too will be "reclassified," though that news, like so many prior, will not make the headlines, and folks will continue to believe the jazz

glad to see your still doing evolutionary evangelism :-)

i see that you have members and junior members now...i also see that you blocked me for awhile

of course, you remember that i was here months before any of you with the exception of kremer (he was here a couple of weeks before me in april of 98)

#568 12/18/04 06:58 PM
A
A
i guess some probably tried to block me because i DON'T hide...

yeah...this fundy is back :-)

#569 12/19/04 12:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"i see that you have members and junior members now...i also see that you blocked me for awhile"

Now, don't go getting uppity! This is a science forum. If you were to apply your powers of observation, you'd soon discern that everyone starts as a "Junior Member". At some magic point, when one has posted a certain number of posts, somewhere between 24 and 32, the computer automatically reclassifies you as "Member. Don't get into the blame game here.

As for blocking you, that's not my department. You'll have to ask Kate. Preferably by email.

As for blocking, are you still blocked off of Geocities by your ISP? If not, let me know and I'll send you the URL to a site with some of my writing if you are interested.

"of course, you remember that i was here months before any of you with the exception of kremer (he was here a couple of weeks before me in april of 98)"

Getting a bit snobby, are we? :rolleyes:

Has it really been that long? Six years? Let's see, Dog years; no, internet years...plus 911 additional factor...hmm. That works out to about sixty five years. Geez, maybe we should all retire soon. laugh

" i guess some probably tried to block me because i DON'T hide..."

Paranoia getting to you again? laugh Just remember this is a Science forum. Stick to the Science; just the Science. We _can_ do this!

Seriously, it's good to see you.

"Amaranth"

#570 12/19/04 03:15 AM
A
A
geocities still blocked on the other side

i'm in cambridge, MA for a few days, returning soon

nice to see you and the folks here too

#571 12/19/04 05:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too bad about the blockade. Some people want civilization but not freedom. It's dangerous to let 1,000 flowers bloom. Do they inspect your hard drive when you return? Don't want anything like subversive poetry or, heaven forfend, especially that pesky Science Fiction, to creep into the country. laugh 9 on the sarcasm meter.

I've got some poems, some short stories and some excerpts from novels on the site now.

http://www.geocities.com/gjsittler/AmaranthRose.html

I am trying to find publishers for my work. It's hard when you're a newbie. I get all finger-tied and can't think of a single thing to write to make a sensible cover letter. My wrists go to jelly and I just can't focus. I can write 100,000 words easier than a cover letter for a novel that size. I've considered a "reduction ad absurdum" approach.

return address
editor's address
Hi.
Me write 130,000 words. You read. You publish. We both richer.
Bye.

Somehow I don't think that would go over very well. frown

"Amaranth"

#572 01/02/05 09:44 PM
P
P
Are you sure it wasn't something a dinosaur deposited?

#573 01/25/05 01:34 AM
A
A
Amaranth, nice poems.

#574 01/25/05 06:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aww.... Gee, thanks! (Blushes deeply) I'm glad you enjoyed them. Some of them are a bit...harsh. Yo soy una Sen~ora sincera...de los creches las Maizes. Poemas son ventanas spiritual.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.