Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 619 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44271 07/17/12 05:20 PM
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
BACK TO EDEN shares the story of one man’s lifelong journey, walking with God and learning how to get back to the simple, productive methods of sustainable provision that were given to man in the garden of Eden. The organic growing system that has resulted from Paul Gautschi’s incredible experiences has garnered the interest of visitors from around the world. However, never until now have Paul’s methods been documented and shared like this!

http://vimeo.com/28055108

OMG !!!
this guy paul is a super smart smart person.
I have never found a super smart smart person before.
and he has a great name to match his super smart smartness!!!

Tutor Turtle posted a link to this video in another thread on
this forum , I watched it and thought that it was such a well
prepared film that delivers such an awesome message that it
deserved its own thread in the forum.

thanks TT

note: this is science even though it contais references that
( some ) on the forum do not entertain.

if this thread is deleted or moved , I will move also.
simply because this is something that I entertain.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
Superstar
Superstar
I agree that the film is outstanding. But it really needs to go in Not-Quite-Science. It is not Hard Science. So please don't be offended when I move it tomorrow.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Had an idea of what you are referring to when saying it's not hard science. Not that it doesn't apply to scientific principles already in use, or that Science isn't interested in the simplicity of what is being demonstrated, or that it has no scientific value. But that it hasn't been presented by a team of scientists in some journal, or sanctioned by the big name chemical fertilizer companies that might fund genetically altered seeds to grow in a sterile soil.

Personally, I'm not offended since I'm not the one who started the thread. Still, I'm amused.
My first thought was to create a section that is titled, Not exactly not science, but possibly not of interest to scientists not engaged in a particular field of study, cause it'll probably put me out of a job.

No offense.

I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around!!

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Rose II

you do what you got to do.
and
I will do what I got to do.

I believe that there is an enormous amount of scientific
data in the film , you cant see it in the form of scientist
performing experiments and collecting data and publishing the findings.

even though he is not a scientist , and he points that out clearly , his process or method of growing crops out performs any published data from a scientist.

and isnt science supposed to find better ways to grow food?
or to make food better by retaining vitamins / minerals.

he has found ways to grow food easier, with less water , with no chemical fertilizer , which converts to less costly, and
more beneficial for human consumption.

this is what science should be.

so from my viewpoint if this thread is moved then this forum is not a science forum.

and as I said I will also move.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
TT

it would probably take a actual scientist to see the value of
the information contained in the film.

I think rose II writes books or sells books that are fantasy related on the web site she spams in her signature line.

she never post anything as far as I can tell , but it seems that she is the one who has the job of making sure that people are threatened with banishment and making sure that each post is in its correct place (where she thinks it should be) or located , we cant blame her if she moves the post , the blame should be placed directly on science itself as it is her illusion of science that dictates what she thinks is or is not science.

and that illusion could only be the fault of science.

Superstar
Superstar
I have no illusions about Science. I happen to have some very good qualifications in the field, including a published paper in PNAS, a peer-reviewed journal, based on some research I did on the NIH Scientist Trainee program, not that it would interest you in the least. But I was taught how to discern good science from poor science. I seldom post things because it isn't very often that I find something in my major field of interest, which happens to be Microbiology, not that you would care. Most of the people in this forum are not interested in Biology, so my posts don't get much response. I no longer list my website in my signature, so as not to be in violation of spamming the forum. I do sell books. They are science-based Science Fiction. Not exactly a common interest around here. Your posting on this subject happens to interest me greatly, from a Biologist's point of view. But it is still long on religion and short on Science, and belongs in Not Quite Science.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Long on Religion..
Ah so that is what caught your attention, his references to God as his inspiration.
What caught my attention was the practical application and success of his methods, as well as the (Jesse James Twin) Botanist who compared sustainable Gardening to the current system which wastes 1% of the earths topsoil every year. 7 Billion tons in the U.S. 75 billion tons worldwide. His system creates topsoil while the current system exposes it to wind and water erosion, poison and bugs.
He also addressed watering, since he doesn't have to water using his methods. Weeds and how easy they are to prevent or control without chemicals, as well as Pesticides, and how he doesn't have to use them because of the health of his plants. The fact that bugs prefer stressed plants which are grown in depleted soils that are heavily treated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides meant that his healthy plants weren't as attractive. Also the moisture content of his vegetables was as amazing as the testimonies made to their superior taste.

People hear what they want to hear I suppose, and then make the subject about what they wanted to listen to.
You must have an interest in religion to have been drawn in that direction watching his film.

Not saying it belongs in the Science section. Your point that certain scientific topics are not of much interest to the general populace might make for better exposure to the mainstream public, where the success of this particular method is going to be more exposed and most likely spread.

E
Megastar
Megastar
E
I am on scientific. Neither is this video. It belongs very nicely in NQS. That's what NQS is for.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Originally Posted By: Ellis
I am on scientific. Neither is this video. It belongs very nicely in NQS. That's what NQS is for.

Then don't you also belong in NQS? Whatever are you doing here in general science?
Scientists in science and all others in NQS with everything that is not scientific.

Can we have an anal section too please?

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P

science focuses on physical things , not spiritual.
and science should not see or recognize the things that are not physical.

those who dont think the video belongs in general science are not focusing on the science available in the video , they are focusing on the spiratuality content of the video.

which from the view of a scientist should not happen.

all civilizations in the past have had a religion in one form or another ,yet scientist have studied them even though they were a religious people.

and when scientist find that a civilization developed a
certain skill they still document that finding.

even if that skill is mingled with religious writings found
at the site.

scientist dont concern themselves with religion they concern themselves with data.

and this video has plenty of data gathered over many years
concerning methods of food production , and food production is one of the most important science subjects I can think of.

P
paul Offline OP
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
P
Rose II

Quote:
I happen to have some very good qualifications in the field, including a published paper in PNAS, a peer-reviewed journal, based on some research I did on the NIH Scientist Trainee program, not that it would interest you in the least.

you would be surprised at the number of things that interest me.

I have a one million dollar bill stuck to my refrigerator door!

its purpose is to hold significant papers or notes so that I
wont forget them.

that is the only value it has , its just a magnet that performs a task that it is designed to perform.

however I must put work into it in order for it to perform its task.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.