Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 424 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Paulv Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have thought about a relationship between the Big Bang Singularity and a Black Hole singularity. Then I read that there are many others with the same thought.With the more recent theories of multiple Universes Did they have a big Bang sigularity also, then where did those singularities come from. I feel that the Big Bang singularity was made up of many Black hole singularities. I am an EE and a novice in Physics so please bear with me.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Hi Paulv. Welcome to SAGG.

If there was a singularity at the Big Bang, and if there are singularities within black holes, I feel sure that there must be a connection between the two. However, I have grave doubts about the existence of singularities, as we normally understand them, so the whole question could be academic.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Your first challenge is to define what you mean by singularity it means many things to many people

Are your talking about a

=> Gravitational singularity
=> Spacetime singularity
=> Quantum information singularity
=> Mathematical singularity

Depending on your definition I am sure I will have a different view.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
What type of singulatity would you expect to find at the centre of a black hole; assuming you expected to find one?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
A blackhole is simply a spacetime singularity for me as a QM zealot.

For me you squeeze enough matter into a confined space you exceed the carry capacity of spacetime fabric. I really don't view a blackhole as much more than that.

My view is the Quantum information will preserve so it's not a quantum singularity. There is a finite limit to gravity because of carrying capacity so its not a gravitational singularity it heads towards a singularity and is constrained by carrying capacity. If I am right about the above then it is definitely not a mathematical singularity you should be able to calculated in and out of it with the right maths.

I believe in "Evil, Bad, Ungodly fantasy science and maths", so I am undoubtedly wrong to you.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Wiki
A gravitational singularity or spacetime singularity is a location where the quantities that are used to measure the gravitational field become infinite...

It seems that Wikipedia disagrees with your distinction between gravitational and spacetime singularities.

In your definitions, nothing seems necessarily to go to infinity. I thought that was an essential factor in the definition of a singularity, which is the main reason why I have difficulty with them.

There never was nothing.
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Orac, Looking again at your list of singularity types, would the following be a reasonable brief summary?

Gravitational singularity: one in which the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite.

Spacetime singularity: one in which the fabric of spacetime is “ruptured” by being overloaded, possibly by compressed matter/energy.

Quantum information singularity: one in which quantum information is somehow lost, at least from our dimensions.

Mathematical singularity: one in which mathematical calculation breaks down, possibly because of the introduction of infinity.

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Bill S

It seems that Wikipedia disagrees with your distinction between gravitational and spacetime singularities.

Hardly surprising that is the standard GR/SR view as I said QM view it heads towards infinity that but is trucated by QM laws.

Originally Posted By: Bill S

In your definitions, nothing seems necessarily to go to infinity. I thought that was an essential factor in the definition of a singularity, which is the main reason why I have difficulty with them.

In the QM world there is no such thing as infinity ... QM information can not be created nor destroyed so you can't have infinite anything.

In QM things can tend towards infinity but they will be truncated by some bounding condition.

If you want some real horrid mathematics to work thru Lubus has a post on QM bounding of Black holes (http://motls.blogspot.com/2008/07/black-holes-quantum-mechanics-at.html)

Quote:

Fortunately, the Benelux authors find this not to be the case. Quantum mechanics actually imposes an upper bound on the length of the throat. Quantum mechanically, the throat is not infinite but finite! That's great because the spectrum of the dimensions in the MSW theory can stay finite, as every sane quantum person would always expect.

Similarly, they resolve another old paradox involving barely bound black holes. Using the classical equations, you may find solutions that look like barely bound states where the components are arbitrarily far from each other. That also looks paradoxical because there could be infinitely many such increasingly delocalized bound states. In this case, quantum mechanics cuts the maximum distance between the components of the bound states in the black hole.

Basically in the blackhole gravity will look like it is going towards infinity but QM says eventually you exceed the capacity of space to hold that much matter and it collapses.

If we stay with slightly lower pressures like inside the Earths core QM made predictions that the core material would act very different to existing theories and these seem to be proving correct (http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-kind-metal-deep-earth.html)

The more we understand QM the more predictions it is making that seem to solve the problems GR/SR throw up as singularities.

Last edited by Orac; 12/20/11 05:19 AM.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Quote:
QM view it heads towards infinity that but is trucated by QM laws.

I could get to like QM. smile

Quote:
QM information can not be created nor destroyed so you can't have infinite anything.

Take me through the logic of that. Why would the ability to create or destroy Q information let in infinity?

There never was nothing.
O
Megastar
Megastar
O
Originally Posted By: Bill S.

Take me through the logic of that. Why would the ability to create or destroy Q information let in infinity?

Cycles Bill you know

create information --> do something --> destroy information

rinse and repeat and you have infinite universe.

If you can't create or destroy but only change you can't have an infinite universe.

From a QM perspective the universe was born with a finite information and you can change and alter it but not create nor destroy.

B
Megastar
Megastar
B
In theory, what stops you from making an infinite number of changes in a finite universe.

There never was nothing.
P
Paulv Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I thought it would have been obvious for a Black hole singularity but maybe not obvious for a Big Bang singularity.

P
Paulv Offline OP
OP Offline
P
What do we know of that is Infinite. It appears that even QM is is reaching a point where infinity doesn't exist, to the point that they're beginning to accept that the Universe is not infinite.

P
Paulv Offline OP
OP Offline
P
What do we know of that is Infinite. It appears that even QM is is reaching a point where infinity doesn't exist, to the point that they're beginning to accept that the Universe is not infinite.

I don't believe in infinity.

P
Paulv Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm not a student of QM just curious, If your a Qm Superstar (with all due respect) then your way over my head. Besides most of QM is theoretical anyway.

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Originally Posted By: Paulv
Besides most of QM is theoretical anyway.

Since QM theory has been unfailingly and increasingly applied to technology for many decades, it's hard to see what 'most' might refer to.

(btw Paulv, you can use the Edit option rather than multi-post)

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler
B
Megastar
Megastar
B
Originally Posted By: Paulv
I don't believe in infinity.

So where/when did everything start?

There never was nothing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokĀž»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.