Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Kate Offline OP
OP Offline
K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIkr86xKcwQ&feature=player_embedded

For the second time this summer, amateur astronomers recorded an impact on Jupiter big enough to be seen from earth. Astronomer Masayuki Tachikawa of Japan was able to take the video early Saturday morning, and the impact was quickly confirmed by other astronomers. According to Sky & Telescope, neither Chris Go nor Anthony Wesley, the two amateurs who witnessed the June 3 impact, were watching the planet on Saturday.

I
I
I bet impacts of that scale happen all the time. Jupiter makes for a pretty big gravity "well", and there is a lot of junk floating out there.

I wonder what the size of the asteroid is? Given the optical flash was visible on earth, using an amateur (although big $$$) telescope, it mustof been a doozy.

Bryan

UAA...CAUGCUAUGAUGGAACGAACAAUUAUGGAA
R
Megastar
Megastar
R
It's a good thing that we have this celestial mosquito trap at the gates of the inner Solar System; and a good thing that these events are observed - it should encourage funding for defence against NEOs (Near Earth Objects). Some of these little Jupiter flashes might rate a 10 on The Torino Impact Hazard Scale:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/torino_scale.html

"Time is what prevents everything from happening at once" - John Wheeler

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.