Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Firstly, I apologize if i make any mistake.
This is my first post so plz accept my apologies....

A tutor told me that force causes acceleration so i just want to know does every force in this universe causes acceleration?
I mean (i just studied about magnetic fields & forces a few days ago) i read that when a particle enters into a magnetic field it experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of velocity of the particle & the magnetic field,
i came to know that it only changes its direction.
So what are your views????????

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Your tutor is correct. Non-balanced forces cause acceleration.
If I push on the wall, I am applying force, but the wall does not move, i.e. it does not change its (rest) motion.

Understand that acceleration is a change in velocity.
Speed is a scalar (quantity).
Velocity is a a vector (quantity and direction).
Acceleration is not defined as a change in speed, but a change in velocity; therefore changing EITHER speed OR direction (or both) is an acceleration.

When physicists watch the trails of charged particles as they pass through magnetic fields, they are seeing the effects you mention. The particles go through spiral-like motions because the acceleration is normal to (perpendicular to) the velocity.

F= Gm1m2 / r^2 is a law, not because its always true, but because it's a description of what we see. However, there is a theory embedded in this law. The theory is that acceleration is always due to an unbalanced force.

S
OP Offline
S

"The particles go through spiral-like motions because the acceleration is normal to (perpendicular to) the velocity."

So do u mean that...um...
the acceleration normal to the velocity causes it to move in a helical path
or
is it the acceleration causes the particle to move in a circle around the magnetic field causing conductor(or a magnet).

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
It depends on the angle between velocity and the magnetic field.

I found a powerpoint brief that shows this at
http://www.bartol.udel.edu/~clem/208/208l13.ppt

If you dl them, compare slides 3 and 4.

A
A
F=MA; force = mass X acceleration. Yep, the two are inseperable, one a coefficient of the other.

I'm told that things might go a bit wobbly if a moving object approaches the speed of light, unless you're travelling alongside at a velocity close to the speed of light. I'll have to let another poster explain that one.

WARNING; DO NOT TRY TO TRAVEL AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT AT HOME!

"The written word is a lie"
S
OP Offline
S
Thank You very much
That ppt. really helped. All my doubts regarding that are clear now.
And also that ppt. presentation was really cool. Did u google to get that ppt. or something else.

I have a request:
can u can give me the links to other such ppt presentations on topics like electrostatics,current electricity,electromagnetic induction,waves etc.(IF POSSIBLE). That would really be appericiated.

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Yes. Google. I'm not sure why, but it took at least 5 minutes to find the explanation with the graphic that shows it. It seems to me that lots of online classes would have ppts of that available. Maybe I wasn't searching on the right thing.

MIT's Open Courseware project has a number of courses taught by different departments:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-311Spring2004/CourseHome/

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Eng...TheoryTextbook/

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-641Spring-2005/Textbooks/

S
OP Offline
S
Okay, Thankyou very much for sharing your knowledge.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.