Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
avg29 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello...

I need some information about:
The effect of excessive amounts of CO2(carbon dioxide) in plants and how/why plants release CO2 at night (supposedly.. that's what I heard). Please post.. at least 50 words long, or send me an email to gsvg5@hotmail.com

Last edited by avg29; 02/25/08 01:47 AM.
Megastar
Megastar
From the topic: "Debate! Dr. Gray....."

Dr. Gray mentions that "It is known that vegetation and crops tend to benefit from higher amounts of atmospheric CO2, particularly vegetation which is under temperature or moisture stress."

Well, fortunately, it seems as if we'll be living is such a world (temp. & moisture stress), so "vegetation" will thrive for us.

You might want to research this a bit (google), to get a more complete, balanced and true picture.

I seem to recall hearing that increased CO2 causes increases in vegetative growth, but limits somatic growth.
Somatic growth (fruits and seeds) is where we get much of our nutrients, so maybe the benefit isn't all that clear.
Increased CO2 promotes quantity, not quality.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: avg29
Hello...

I need some information about:
The effect of excessive amounts of CO2(carbon dioxide) in plants and how/why plants release CO2 at night (supposedly.. that's what I heard).

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

I am pretty certain that plants actually breath in C02 during the day, which together with Sunlight, produce sugars, and grow.
Plants are the only living things on this Planet that produce their own food, together with minerals and water.

But at night with no light, they breath in Oxygen (respiration)
which is why they are taken out of Hospital rooms at night.

I have no idea as to how they might be effected in a 100% C02 atmosphere?
You might try fast growing mustard an cress under a clear glass beaker or cup......Exhaling your own C02 using a straw into the beaker, a few times a day, to see what happens?
Or better? Use 100% C02 from a carbonated fizzy drink, via a rubber tube.
Sorry I cant help more.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Megastar
Megastar
At night, when plants are not producing glucose (via photosynthesis), they are growing and developing (burning that glucose).

To do this they use normal "animal" metabolic pathways (i.e. Krebs Cycle), respiring CO2.

At least I think that's right....
Some plants have unique metabolic pathways too (CAM, C-4 plants).

I'd think 100% CO2 would kill a plant within a day.
I think even 4-5% will kill a plant. I know there is some fairly low optimum, over which higher concentrations are detrimental.

Pyrolysis creates reduced carbon! ...Time for the next step in our evolutionary symbiosis with fire.
A
avg29 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
THanks for your help. laugh

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: samwik
At night, when plants are not producing glucose (via photosynthesis), they are growing and developing (burning that glucose).

To do this they use normal "animal" metabolic pathways (i.e. Krebs Cycle), respiring CO2.

At least I think that's right....

I think even 4-5% will kill a plant. I know there is some fairly low optimum, over which higher concentrations are detrimental.

How much C02, or even how little Oxygen would be required by a plant to grow and live would make an interesting project
I know the Americans built a closed greenhouse with all sorts of plants in it. Putting in a couple of scientists, to see just how long they might survive, about 30 years ago.

Then again, 60 million years ago, and even before the Dinosaurs ruled the Earth.
Plant and tree life was huge, when we had less Oxygen in the atmosphere than today.
Interesting huh?

Megastar
Megastar
Originally Posted By: samwik
.............................>

At least I think that's right.............

Are you sure you have got the correct cycle?
Hans Adolf Krebs, of Germany, recieved the Nobel prize in 1953,
for his discovery of the Citric Acid cycle. (Biomedicine)

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 02/26/08 01:35 AM.

Megastar
Megastar

Are you sure you have got the correct cycle?
Hans Adolf Krebs, of Germany, recieved the Nobel prize in 1953,
for his discovery of the Citric Acid cycle. (Biomedicine)

Thankfully (after all those years trying to memorize the horrible thing) I think I am correct.

Krebs Cycle

The pyruvate molecules produced during glycolysis contain a lot of energy in the bonds between their molecules. In order to use that energy, the cell must convert it into the form of ATP. To do so, pyruvate molecules are processed through the Kreb Cycle, also known as the citric acid cycle.
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004535/aerobic_respiration.html
&

Citric acid cycle in E.coli and plants

The citric acid cycle is highly conserved in all organisms. There are metabolic differences, however, under different circumstances. ....Oxaloacetate itself is used up in this reaction and needs to be replenished from the combination of two acetate units produced in the complete oxidation of pyruvate. This is performed by the glyoxylate cycle in bacteria (and plants; in the organelles called glyoxysomes). In this cycle, isocitrate is split by isocitrate lyase into succinate and glyoxylate. The latter can be linked with acetyl-CoA to form malate and CoA in a reaction catalyzed by malate synthase. Acetyl-CoA is formed from ATP and acetate by a phosphoryl group transfer to form acetyl-phosphate and ADP.
http://www.whatislife.com/reader2/Metabolism/pathway/tca.html

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Just a passing comment, since I know next to nothing about it, and certainly don't have a definitive answer to the original question.

When considering the optimum CO2 level for a plant, I would think it might be very important to consider other variables affecting enzyme activity and photosynthesis, such as levels of light, temperature, moisture, and minerals (particularly for the production of the CO2 fixing enzyme, phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase).

I gather that when aquarists use rather intense lighting, such as the penetrating metal halide sort, they find that artificially increasing the water's CO2 content produces much more luxuriant plants.

This is an interesting page about plant physiology:

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/4140bowman/lectures/4140-06.html

You might find more answers here:

http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/about292.html

Megastar
Megastar

Hi redewenur, the two above URL's you found are wonderful.
I have learnt such a lot from them.
Makes me realise that for a Science Forum, I am 'waffling' too much.
Thanks. Mike Kremer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how & why does co2 kill plants?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does anyone know why & how Co2 kills plants? can anyone tell me??? please? long explanation and explain... Thanx so much!

Superstar
Superstar
CO2 is important in establishing the homeostatic mechanism whereby both plants and animals maintain their internal pH. If there is too much CO2, the CO2 absorbs into the cytosol and affects the internal pH, dropping it into the acidic end of the carbonate-bicarbonate buffer system, thus poisoning the enzymes which need a specific pH to function.

So too much CO2 will acidify the leaves and kill the plant.

If you don't care for reality, just wait a while; another will be along shortly. --A Rose

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.