Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 346 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24114 10/31/07 05:04 PM
M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M

When a country can show its seabed is a natural extension of its land territory, it gets the exclusive right to exploit the resources contained in its subsoil.
Russia argues that a ridge under the Arctic Ocean makes the North pole Russian, even though the coast of Siberia is 2,000 km (1,200 miles) away.

Canada said earlier this month it would map its entire Arctic seabed. It is planning to build a deep-water port for patrol vessels near the eastern entrance of the Northwest Passage, which was ice-free for the first time ever, this summer.
Unfortunately the United States is left out on a limb. By not having ratified the UN Convention on the 'Law of the Sea' (UNCLOS) back in 1982.
However, the Bush administration is now desperately trying to do so, since only countries that have ratified it can make continental shelf claims, before a time limit expires.

The situation is now becoming more complicated, since a new island has risen out of the sea north of Greenland.
And it may be only the first of many small islands that are expected to rise out of the sea as the Greenland Ice sheet melts it weight release, causes the land to rise.

A tiny speck of pebbles found off the northern coast of Greenland could open up a new front in the looming battle for control of the Arctic and the North Pole.

As Greenland is under Denmark's administration, this scrap of land just 40 meters (43.7 yards) long could extend Danish territory further north and strengthen Copenhagen's claim on the pole.
Its discovery comes as countries around the Arctic Ocean -- the United States, Russia, Canada, Denmark, Norway and Iceland -- are rushing to stake out the Polar Basin's seabed, for valuable oil, mineral, and fishing rights, plus maritime routes.
Complete story here:-
http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKL2615243720071031?pageNumber=4

Plus older Scienceagogo threads below:-
http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=22497#Post22497

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

When a country can show its seabed is a natural extension of its land territory, it gets the exclusive right to exploit the resources contained in its subsoil.
Russia argues that a ridge under the Arctic Ocean makes the North pole Russian, even though the coast of Siberia is 2,000 km (1,200 miles) away.

Canada said earlier this month it would map its entire Arctic seabed. It is planning to build a deep-water port for patrol vessels near the eastern entrance of the Northwest Passage, which was ice-free for the first time ever, this summer.
Unfortunately the United States is left out on a limb. By not having ratified the UN Convention on the 'Law of the Sea' (UNCLOS) back in 1982.
However, the Bush administration is now desperately trying to do so, since only countries that have ratified it can make continental shelf claims, before a time limit expires.

I put this Item under my previous one that I posted Oct: 2007,
which stated that, Canada is building 2 Artic seaports to be able to control the Artic Northern Sea passage that will soon be used by international shipping, instead of the Panama canal.
Which is too small for the latest tankers.

Now I am very surprised to read that the USA will be claiming nearly all of the Artics undersea Oil?
Also have the US Goverment now ratified the UN Convention on the "Law of the Sea?" (stated in my above post)

In this new surprising URL below, it concludes:-
"The United States should not underestimate Canadian passions on this issue," Borgerson, a fellow at the influential Council on Foreign Relations, wrote in an article in the latest issue of Foreign Affairs magazine. "Unless Washington leads the way toward a multilateral diplomatic solution, the Arctic could descend into armed conflict."
I would be interested to read what Canuck feels about this up and coming issue?
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=7534c4de-0c21-4653-a06b-112bc96b2708&k=6345

Last edited by Mike Kremer; 04/02/08 03:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

R
R
I could see where the United States could claim some of the oil since we do own Alaska, but for the life of me I cannot see where we would be able to claim it all unless we have some sort of an agreement with the Canadian Government which is not mentioned here.

M
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
M
Originally Posted By: Rallem
I could see where the United States could claim some of the oil since we do own Alaska, but for the life of me I cannot see where we would be able to claim it all unless we have some sort of an agreement with the Canadian Government which is not mentioned here.

Originally Posted By: Mike Kremer

An announcement about 1 hour ago by the US Geological Survey states that:-
"The Artic area accounts for about a fifth of the world's recoverable oil and natural gas reserves, the USGS says: 13 percent of the oil, 30 percent of natural gas and 20 percent of natural gas liquids"

Ever since the Russians planted their metal flag under the Artic
sea, the UN ruled that they would decide which of the 5 countries could claim, using their Continental shelves as a basis.

My personal opinion is that this is going to develop into a 'nasty free for all'. Who gets to plant their floating oil rigs first, gets a huge advantage.

Canada is presently building two military sea ports in the Artic area to ensure her security. Things could get politically strained, with neighbors, Russia, Norway, Denmark(Greenland), the USA, and future ships going to use the North West passage.

I cant see the UN making a ruling for some time yet. Since agreements have to be made regarding the hundreds of continental shelf soundings, demarking the 5 countrys.

My idea is:- why not extend the triangular Longditutional lines out from each country, to meet at 0 degrees at the top of the world. Allow that to become the basic divisional line between each country?
It would be cheaper and quicker. The precedent for that are the Lontitudional lines that divide up the Antartica Continent.
If something is not done quickly it will be 'first come first served mayhem'

http://www.ajc.com/r/content/news/stories/2008/07/23/arctic_gas_oil.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080724/ap_on_go_ot/arctic_oil

UN to rule
http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=83580&videoChannel=82

Older Scienceagogo Thread here:-

http://www.scienceagogo.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=22497#Post22497

R
Megastar
Megastar
R
Very significant for the economy of a nation, no doubt, but this is another perspective:

According a Science News bulletin from the Royal Society, the US Geological Survey has estimated that the Arctic Circle holds oil reserves sufficient to satisfy global demand for three years.

Three [deleted] years! Almost laughable.

So much for the remaining non-renewable energy sources.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.