Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7878 07/11/06 11:01 PM
U
Superstar
OP Offline
Superstar
U
http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060710/full/060710-4.html

"if all the corn (maize) produced in the United States last year were removed from food supplies and turned into ethanol, just 12% of US gasoline demand would be offset. Turning soybeans into diesel would account for only 9% of US diesel demand"

Maybe if we extended daylight-savings time some more the plants would grow bigger in the extended sunlight. "8^>)

"A US Department of Energy report released on Friday 7 July said that biofuels such as cellulosic ethanol could displace 30% of the fuel consumed in US transportation by 2030."

Dust from Tinkerbell's behind is elevating. I saw the movie, it must be true.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#7879 07/11/06 11:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Maybe if we didn't look for magic bullets, one cure fits all, and other simplistic jingo spin-doctored solutions we could make some progress.

Oh that's right. Voters have simple minds and vote for simple politicians with simple solutions forgetting as Einstein said:
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler"

and

"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them"

Which is it Al? Going to put that intellect to solving the problem or just whining about the solutions?

DA Morgan
#7880 07/12/06 07:58 PM
30% sounds good to me. Do you prefer 30% more dependence on unreliable foreign suppliers? How far will we be toward energy independence by 2030, if we sit on our hands and denigrate the state of alternative energy sources today?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#7881 07/12/06 09:05 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
We'd have never made it to the moon with the likes of Uncle Al running the program.

In fact we'd still be hiding in trees from the saber toothed kittycats ... you know those bow-and-arrow contraptions. Totally unproven technology. Bow's break, strings get worn, arrows go astray.

DA Morgan
#7882 07/16/06 09:20 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
We'd have never made it to the moon with the likes of Uncle Al running the program.

In fact we'd still be hiding in trees from the saber toothed kittycats ... you know those bow-and-arrow contraptions. Totally unproven technology. Bow's break, strings get worn, arrows go astray.
Xorg the cave man: "Look, I rub these two sticks together and they get hot. Maybe we could make fire!"

Uncle Al, the cave man: "No, everyone, it will never work. Look at me, I am really smart. Don't worry, those glaciers will be here forever, I can prove it..."

#7883 07/17/06 01:32 AM
M
M
So, I dunno the history here, but it seems like Uncle Al makes an excellent point. The government guy quoted is clearly inaccurate in his assessment. Wildly inaccurate.

Why all the goofy, ad hominem attacks?

An open mind is a rare and precious thing. If you agree with me, you are open-minded.
#7884 07/17/06 03:15 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The government guy is wildly inaccurate? Specifically which statements. Provide references that show how he is inaccurate.

DA Morgan
#7885 07/17/06 03:23 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Megalotis:
you appear to be fairly new here. if da cant find a scientific reason to attack something, he figures that an insult about the poster is just as good an argument about science. after all, if the person has feelings he cant be a real scientist. IF that dont work, the attacking into a different area will take it away from the arguement he cant win to something he feels he can.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#7886 07/17/06 06:08 PM
J
J
Quote:
The government guy is wildly inaccurate? Specifically which statements. Provide references that show how he is inaccurate.
For my part, it is because Uncle Al is a troll. This subject has been beaten to death in other threads. Note the lack of participation of Uncle Al since the thread was started.

It isn't as though he doesn't have the time to read discussion groups
http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/7499-enviro-plonk.html

It's not as though this is the only time he posts identical threads on multiple forums:
http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/7438-inconvenient-truth.html

It isn't as though they take him seriously either

"I can't believe the people that take Unc so seriously..... "--C1ay (editor and moderator).

#7887 07/18/06 12:54 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer I didn't attack anybody or anything I asked for supporting references: Something you have never provided. So I guess asking someone to substantiate something with a reference to you is an insult. Live with it!

DA Morgan
#7888 07/18/06 12:03 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
dehammer I didn't attack anybody or anything I asked for supporting references: Something you have never provided. So I guess asking someone to substantiate something with a reference to you is an insult. Live with it!
show me here where you were asking for references.
Quote:

the reason i never gave a reference in this thread is that you never asked. in other threads when i had them i supplied them. the interesting things is that you insult people that ask you for references if you cant find one that supports you. you even supply references that support my side of the arguement then insulted me for disagreeing with you.

why should i not tell new people that you are trying to drive them away with your insults. we know how you are. life with that.

#7889 07/18/06 07:47 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer just wrote:
"show me here where you were asking for references."

Is this what you wanted?
"The government guy is wildly inaccurate? Specifically which statements. Provide references that show how he is inaccurate."
posted: uly 16, 2006 11:15 PM

DA Morgan
#7890 07/18/06 08:04 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
roflol. you obviously have a problem distinguishing between things that happen at different times. you insulted someone, and someone asked why. i responded to that. you later asked for reference, not before the question was asked.

therefore telling me that the insult was to ask for references was totally stupid. can you make yourself look any more stupid that this. do you have any more credibility to destroy. i think not. you have none to destroy.

Quote:
DA Morgan posted 07-12-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:
Megalotis posted 07-16-2006 08:32 PM
So, I dunno the history here, but it seems like Uncle Al makes an excellent point. The government guy quoted is clearly inaccurate in his assessment. Wildly inaccurate.

Quote:
DA Morgan posted 07-16-2006 10:15 PM
cant you see the sequence. the question was asked about something you posted 6 hours before you asked for references. the question had nothing to do with your asking for references, it had to do with the fact that you insult everyone here. i simply gave him the warning that you do that to everyone and why.

the 'why' is that if you cant win a debate with facts, or your facts support your opponents view point (something that you don't seem to be able to figure out in advance or even after its been pointed out to you), then you resort to insult hoping to win the augment by chasing off the other people.

#7891 07/18/06 11:20 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Easier to dissemble than to provide a reference eh!

DA Morgan
#7892 07/19/06 01:39 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
1) it would do you no good since you don't read any thing, just insult the people that own the site the link goes to.

2) I'm not the one that was arguing that point. i was explaining why you insulted him. therefore, i was not dissembling.

or was that your explanation of why you were insulting and then dissembling on my explanation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.