Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9222 11/09/06 09:47 AM
B
Brad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi.

I would like to put forward my views on the impending disaster awaiting mankind as soon as our oil reserves run out!

My view is that for millions of years, our oil reserves have been lubricating the earths plates. Now, as our oil reserves run out, we will see a marked increase in Earthquakes, Volcanoes etc due to increased friction in the earths plates.

It makes sense. after all, before the oil reserves were formed millions of years ago, there was a much greater occurance of seismic activity all over the world. As the masses of ferns broke down over millions of years and created our oil reserves, this created a lubricant which seeped down between the continental plates, giving us our peaceful almost seismic activity free world which we know and love today!

I admit that my views are controversial, but please do not say you have not been forewarned of the impending disaster looming, as soon as our oil reserves are depleted.

Live Green! ride a bike! Water power! peace!

Discuss please.

Your views are welcome.

#9223 11/09/06 12:25 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
the oil pools are hundreds of miles above the plates. how can they be lubricating the plates.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#9224 11/09/06 12:38 PM
B
Brad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yes some are only a few miles down. But when we drain these we will have to go for the reserves which have seeped into the cracks between the plates. It is here when the real trouble will begin.

I am writing a paper titled "Continental Drift- a Sticky problem with an Slippery solution" (which should be published later this month) here I will explain everything.

Proof if you need it! Can be found in the fact that there are NO oil reserves near the Himalayan mountain range (THE TALLEST peaks in the world) despite extensive drilling and surveying operations by Chinese and Tibetan geologists. These peaks are caused by friction due to Plate movements

#9225 11/09/06 05:38 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Quote:
My view is that for millions of years, our oil reserves have been lubricating the earths plates.
Petroleum does not exist at anywhere near tectonic depths. It cracks to methane and char long before those depths. 80-100 miles depth is the diamond stability zone. Russia's Kola peninsula, 1989, 7.6 mile deep hole. The rock at depth and pressure, 180 C, oozed back into the borehole.
Quote:
there are NO oil reserves near the Himalayan mountain range
The Himalayas are limestone. Petroleum is trapped in sandstone. Do you know what a millidarcy is?

When the Kola drill string was withdrawn for the last time workers heard souls cereaming at the bottom of the bore hole. That is the intellectual rigor to which you aspire. Why don't you look up the composition of ultrapressure lubricants? Hydrocarbon does not lubricate under those conditions; other chemistries are involved (e.g., lamellar solids like phthalocyanines from pressure condensation of phthalonitriles or FeCl2 from reaction of halogenated chlorocarbons at point of contact).

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#9226 11/09/06 07:26 PM
Brad,

What evidence do you have to show that the rate of movement of tectonic plates is changing?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#9227 11/09/06 08:19 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Soilguy asks:
"What evidence do you have to show that the rate of movement of tectonic plates is changing?"

I've looked and found none with one minor exception. That being some near-surface earthquakes in areas like Long Beach California caused by subsidence and has nothing to do with tectonic plates.

DA Morgan
#9228 11/10/06 01:09 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
My understanding is that oil is formed as sea level rises or land sinks in a basin. Accumulated vegetation is buried and heat and pressure change the material to oil, amoung other things. The relevant plates are therefore moving before any oil is even formed.

#9229 11/10/06 01:42 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
My understanding is the same but I am deeply suspicious of it as there are large amounts of petrochemicals throughout the solar system and the universe where clearly it is not of biological origin.

DA Morgan
#9230 11/10/06 02:30 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
DA. I seem to remember reading something about water and carbon can combine to form oil under huge pressure and heat. The magazine was of doubtful reputation though.

#9231 11/10/06 10:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brad your views on the impending disaster awaiting mankind as soon as our oil reserves run out posses some interesting questions with merit!

I'm looking forward to your pioneering paper, could you please forward me the info on where this paper can be obtained.

"It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science"

#9232 11/10/06 11:20 AM
B
Brad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My apologies, Uncle ?Jules Verne? Al. I stand corrected. I didn?t know you drilled down to a depth of 100 miles and confirmed with your own eyes, the myth that Oil cracks to methane and char. J/k but u get my point.

Perhaps English is not your first language but I do not understand the word ?cereaming? perhaps before you begin insulting other people?s intellectual aspirations you should first learn how to spell.

For all you serious scientists out there, I say this.

The real problem here is that the last time the Earth, shifted poles in 10,045 BC, there was an abundance of oil trapped between the continental plates. The massive pull on the earth resulting from this resulted in a relatively smooth, massive movement of the Earths plates. (I say relatively smooth, although ancient literature points towards huge floods in Mesopotamia and south American). Ancient Maps such as the Piri Reis map back up the theory of massive Continental Movement.

How else do you explain these completely accurate maps of the landmass locked below the Antarctic existing, hundreds, even thousands of years ago, These maps have FYI, been confirmed by British scientists conducting ultrasound tests in the 1950?s, therefore proving the theory of Earth Crustal Displacement. (Using Oil as the perfect Catalyst)

This time around there is no oil as a lubricant so the disasters will be even greater.

#9233 11/10/06 12:19 PM
B
Brad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
@ Terrryt and DA Morgan. I never said that the plates were not moving before oil was formed. Just that our recent relatively smooth plate movements can be massively attributed to the presence of oil.

#9234 11/10/06 07:19 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Brad wrote:
"My apologies, Uncle ?Jules Verne? Al. I stand corrected. I didn?t know you drilled down to a depth of 100 miles and confirmed with your own eyes, the myth that Oil cracks to methane and char. J/k but u get my point."

He didn't have to. Physics is physics and chemistry is chemistry. And what Al wrote doesn't change because it is done in the earth rather than in a diamond anvil.

DA Morgan
#9235 11/10/06 07:20 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Brad wrote:
"I never said that the plates were not moving before oil was formed. Just that our recent relatively smooth plate movements can be massively attributed to the presence of oil."

I understood what you wrote as you intended it. But you are incorrect.

Is there an increase in earthquakes? Absolutely. But they are due to subsidence ... not plate tectonics.

DA Morgan
#9236 11/11/06 07:44 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
............... Ancient Maps such as the Piri Reis map back up the theory of massive Continental Movement............................
How else do you explain these completely accurate maps of the landmass locked below the Antarctic existing, hundreds, even thousands of years ago,
This time around there is no oil as a lubricant so the disasters will be even greater.
Sorry to disagree with you Brad, but no one knows just how old the (original?)Piri Reis maps are.
Bearing in mind the age of parchement they were drawn upon. It is pretty certain that they were copied from a set of far older maps. Since at the time that the existing Piri Reis maps were drawn, the Antartic was covered in ice as now.
Also if you look at the maps, you will find the other southern continental land masses are drawn in their place, just as they are today. Therefore there was no massive continental movement as you state?
The Antartic has proven abundent reserves of coal, so one should come to the conclusion that the Antartic was free of ice, and had at least a temperate climate, sometime in the past?
Accepted as fact today.

No oil as a lubricant you say?
What about hot water, steam, creeping thru rocks?
Whats wrong with that as a lubricant?
Have you ever read Professor Thomas Gold?
He categorically states that all the oil in our Earth (and on the planets) is produced by microbes.
Microbes that eat rocks, and produce waste methane as well as oil.. These microbes are not active in modern limestone (produced by other organisms like chalk). Methane is produced by living organisms, and is certainly found with oil, always above it, when trapped in non porous rocks. Note, Limestone is porous, a reason why you dont find it or oil in the Himalayas?.
The Mars surveyor craft found a low % of Methane in the Martian atmosphere, which scientists believe is a pointer to some sort of life beneath its surface.
I dont think there is any combination of chemicals that can produce Methane, other than microbe life?
Prehaps Uncle Al, can help on this one, he is the Organic Chemist/Physicist, in this forum,

According to T. Gold you will find oil everywhere beneath the Earth, if you drill deep enough, since its always being produced by microbes
In collaberation with the Finnish goverment some years ago. T. Gold et-al drilled for oil, to prove his theory. Oil was found after going down some five miles deep. Geological surveys stated none would be found.
Also note that NO plant or leaf cells have ever been found in crude oil, ever.
It so happens that there is more oil beneath our feet than anyone expected.

Thomas Gold stated:-
Millions of Americans learned in grade school that oil deposits originated in the age of dinosaurs, when vegetation in lush forests was buried and subjected to high heat and pressure. Those extreme conditions supposedly transformed the hydrocarbons in vegetation into the hydrocarbons of petroleum.

"That's nonsense," snapped Thomas Gold, a scientist at Cornell University. "There's not a shred of evidence from chemistry, geology, or any other science to support it. It has no place in textbooks and school classrooms." Oil is often called a 'fossil' fuel; the idea being that it comes from formerly living organic matter. This may have been plausible back when oil wells were drilled into the fossil layers of the earth's crust; but today, great quantities of oil are found in deeper wells that are found below the level of any fossils. How could then oil have come from fossils, or decomposed former living matter, if it exists in rock formations far below layers of fossils the evidence of formerly living organisms? It must not come from living organic matter at all!
Thomas Gold, is as contentious as ever.
But his ideas are worth reading up on.

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

#9237 11/11/06 09:04 AM
T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Mike wrote:

"How could then oil have come from fossils, or decomposed former living matter, if it exists in rock formations far below layers of fossils the evidence of formerly living organisms? It must not come from living organic matter at all!"

I'm familiar with the rainbow coloured reflections that float on water round cow drinking troughs. I have always thought it was a result of oil formed from anaerobic decay of vegetation. Perhaps this is not so but if it is surely oil is being formed on earth as I write this sentence.

The word "fossil" originally meant something dug up from the ground, not necessarily ancient.

#9238 11/11/06 03:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Mike wrote:
"I dont think there is any combination of chemicals that can produce Methane"

Check this out:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query...p;dopt=Abstract
There is methane on pluto and even I would have a hard time attrbuting that to a biological origin.

And don't forget the large amounts of methane on Titan. Life? Perhaps there we can hope so.

DA Morgan
#9239 11/11/06 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
@ Terrryt and DA Morgan. I never said that the plates were not moving before oil was formed. Just that our recent relatively smooth plate movements can be massively attributed to the presence of oil.
OK, there's your hypothesis. How do you test it?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
--S. Lewis
#9240 11/11/06 06:12 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Put oil under pressure equivalent to the depth in the earth where tectonic plates move.

1. Does it still exist?
2. Does it lubricate?

Uncle Al gave the best answer of which I am aware.

DA Morgan
#9241 11/18/06 03:06 AM
M
Megastar
Megastar
M
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Mike wrote:
"I dont think there is any combination of chemicals that can produce Methane"..........

There is methane on pluto and even I would have a hard time attrbuting that to a biological origin.

And don't forget the large amounts of methane on Titan. Life? Perhaps there we can hope so.
Not if it came from Space, Daniel.
Prehaps you forget that there are enormous clouds of Methane, and other Gases in Space. Just how do you account for that?
Dont forget that there are clouds of Microbes clustered about in space, all contribute to Methane, and Oxygen, as they come 'come to life' near a warm Planet or Galaxy.

Its my opinion that clouds of Methane molecules,
and other mols can dribble down, to a planetry surface, riding Gravity, Sunlight, or Solar wind Plasma's.
THINK, just how many Molecules landing upon a suitable surface does it take to multiply and produce Googols of Methane on the surface over millions of years?

FOLLOWS:- A comprehensive list of Gases and other Chemicals found in Space.

P.S Our Earth Volcanoes throw out Microbes, and more into Space, every time they erupt.

http://www.ph1.uni-koeln.de/vorhersagen/molecules/main_molecules.html

--------------------
"You will never find a real Human being - even in a mirror." .....Mike Kremer.

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.