Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Every body wants to knock any claim bordering on perpetual motion; and I wonder why? We know it flies in the face of physics as we know physics but is current knowledge always so perfect to crush new concepts?

Based upon our own mortality we are living in the heart of a perpetual motion machine. How perpetual must something be to impress us? Can we agree that a clock that ran for 2 years on ?free? energy be a step forward? How about 20 years? How about 20 million years? As obvious as my point is we seem to ignore what is closest to home. There should be no bars to efforts at new discoveries. If such bars truly exist they will demonstrate them selves whether ?it has been written? or not. Cheers.
jjw

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
if you want to override something like the laws of energy, you must be ready to show major work on how it is wrong. just building something and calling it perpetual motion is not going to work. Its one thing to say that something works off the cycle of the planet, or from earths own energy source, or from wind or temperature differences, but a completely different thing to claim its from "free" energy.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
I guess I must think that the Sun's energy is "free". Try to forgive me.
jjw

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
the sun's energy may be free, after you have made the solar cell. that unfortuantely makes it not quite free.

J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Dehammer:
I do not think we should converse on these items.
i have watched your conflict with DA and at times I thought you had some thing to say and at times I was not of that mind.

What you or any one else does with sunlight has not one iota fact of whether the sun produces free energy for us earth people. You, as is your style at times, find fault with what others are saying because you, as in this instance, are confusing an energy source with the USE of an energy source. This means we are wasting time in such exchange. We seem to be on different wave lengths- yours may be better!
jjw

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
you talk of perpetual motion, then add about free energy. yes the sun does send energy our way, as does the magnetic field of the earth. Yes we can use them free, after we build something to use it. that does not make the solar powered device perpetual motion, because it requires an input. I would love to be able to use the free energy the earth and sun gives us, but alas, im not rich enough.

im afraid i was not able to switch gears fast enough to see where you were going with that earlier post.

E
E
Whats New by Bob Parks at UMd:

4. PERPETUUM MOBILE: "ALL GREAT TRUTHS BEGIN AS BLASPHEMIES."
This is the slogan of Steorn, a Dublin company that is assembling
a jury of scientists to evaluate a device using moving permanent
magnets to produce free energy. WN has exposed so many of these
devices in the past that it gets depressing. So this time we
examined the slogan instead. It's from George Bernard Shaw's
Anajanska [1919], but the full quote must have been been lost.
We've found the full quote: "All great truths begin as
blasphemies, but all blasphemies do not become great truths."

Erich J. Knight
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Erich:

Well done. When people get excited about their work and discoveries there is an honest error present for exeggeration. It may not be evident but I try to be brief here. This may deter full developement of ideas.

Please do not think that I favor perpetual motion or for that matter that I have some back pack against it. My point is simply that if truth demonstrates such claims are unfounded the failure of the claim will be very apparent even when we do not crush the thought out of hand. I favor giving all new ideas a fair hearing and, if bogus, they will commit a self distruct.
jjw

E
E
[quote]giving all new ideas a fair hearing[/qoute]What about honest hearing?

es

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
I wonder why this thread stays up top.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It stays up top because of the symbol at the beginning of it that results when you press the "feature topic" button at the bottom of the forum.

Amaranth

T
Megastar
Megastar
T
Ah ... very good.

Megastar
Megastar
Not sure why I need to have another rant at "Steorns Free Energy Machine"
Prehaps because everyone would like to believe in it, but very few publicly dis-own it, and throw it out like dirty water.
Prehaps its because this modern 'dream maker' paid a ?10000 ($19000) for a full page Advert in the Economist.
Have the public become starstruck by the high profile publicity company he employed?
Safe in the knowledge that the UK does not even look at Free energy machine Patents.
Or prehaps its because he has 18 backers for his project. Non of whom seem to have any credentials,
apart from money?

See their names here-
http://www.steorn.org.uk/members.htm

Other Companys are suddenly appearing out of the woodwork like- www.magneticpowerinc.com
I mean lets face it...were it true, the owner of the idea, would become as rich as Croseus, or at least the richest man in the world. Everyone would love to ride on the gravy train.

Nalthough Steorn cant patent his device in the UK or the USA... he can patent the seperate parts that go to make up his machine.
I believe this is one patent attempt-

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2006/08/another_steorn.html

Today there was a photograph of Steorn excecutive Sean McCarthy together with the TESTING RIG for his Companys Perpetual motion machine.
Prehaps thats where he and the the world will realise his mistake. With his super (110%?) un-efficient Test Rig, that has not been set up properly.
Test rigs for large conventional motors etc are usually required to drive very large heavy flywheels, in a start/stop mode, plus all the ancillery measuring equipment.
Why have a test rig?...just let the Free energy machine run and run forever!
Oh I forgot, its better to say you have a test rig
it gives future backers the idea that it will produce large amounts of power!

Further more Steorn asserts that his Free energy machine can be scaled up to drive cars, trucks and boats, all by setting up a series of magnetic fields in a certain way, and moving a magnetic object thru the field, you get an energy kick, apparently from nowhere.

Lets hope when his 18 backers get red faces will refrain from doing the same to their dream-maker.
Hohum Yawn,
http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

C
C
Here is a proposal that can work:

Maxwell\'s demon through the looking glass

E
E
If the second law is to be violated it will probably be only at the nano scale, involving the Casimir effect and/or Van Der Waal force.

Erich J. Knight
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.