Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
the headline read...
RISING TEMPERATURES CAUSE OF HIGH GAS PRICES
funny headline to say the least.

perhaps this would have been a little clearer.

GAS CAUSE OF RISING TEMPERATURES WHICH CAUSED HIGH GAS PRICES

thats sort of like this headline
OIL COMPANIES ADMIT THEY ARE RESPONCIBLE FOR PEOPLE USING MORE GAS THAN THEY NEED TO WHEN THEY BUY LARGE SUV'S VS SMALLER CARS THAT GET THREE OR FOUR TIMES THE MILEAGE THAT SUV'S GET

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
oil companies are not responsible for the choises of people that decide they want suv's rather than small economy cars. Its the people who buy those vehicles (and over powered smaller cars) that are responsible for the oil companies selling so much gas.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
K
K
There is no point discussing whether the article leaves any question or not. Look at the recent exceptional weather events in the warm countries. The drought prone desert Barmer district in the western state of India(rajasthan), is experiencing heavy floods. This regions has no history of such a heavy rain fall. What do you say climate change or...???

Keats
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
It completely wrong to say they have never had any heavy rain, which is what that statement suggest. instead it is more correct that there have been none recorded. Every part of the world has experience heavy rain at some point.

No one is arguing wheither or not there is climate change. what the arguement is about is how much of it is mans doing. According to the GWA, at one point, man was the solo cause of it. They have since backed down from that and now claim he is the primary cause of it. Others claim that there is more causes to it than we know of, and that there are cycles that are occuring. some of these are at the point where they will cause a considerable increase in temperature at this point, but some of these cycles are indicating a cooling trend soon. Some will have a cooling trend by middle of the century, others some time after 2100.

what many people are not willing to see is that the climate of the earth is very dynamic. its always changing. We are in an upswing now, but for how long?

Very few people have every claimed that man has had no effect on climate. Some have claimed that less than 2 percent of the change of the last century is due to man, while others claim its 98 percent. The reality, im sure is somewhere in between. personally i believe that less than a quarter of it is due to man. The most we have done is accelerate it a few decades (imho).

but to answer your question, yes, there is a climate change.

E
E
Lovelock was interviewed in the Post yesterday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...6090101800.html

He covers some of the issues of this thread.

It sounds like he is running out of hope for us

Erich J. Knight

Erich J. Knight
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
might want to check out that link. it did not return anything.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Erich, your link 404'ed on me. Do you have another?

Amaranth

E
E
The End of Eden
James Lovelock Says This Time We've Pushed the Earth Too Far

Quote:
"People say, 'Well, you're 87, you won't live to see this,' " he says. "I have children, I have grandchildren, I wish none of this. But it's our fate; we need to recognize it's another wartime. We desperately need a Moses to take us to the Arctic and preserve civilization.

E
E
sorry about the link

I don't agree that we're too far gone. I don't think he is taking account of the nano revolution in energy, the potential,(if needed),in weather control technology, and the prospects of CO 2 sequestration strategies like Terra Preta Soils and Ocean Fertilization.

Erich J. Knight
J
J
This Gaia topic is now hitting multiple news sources. While the Washington Posts article strikes me as being an advertisement for his speech he was to be giving last Friday, other's are commenting on it. I found mention of it on the http://tim.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2006/9/5/2296987.html page. Tim Denton wrote:

"The tendency of humans to look for answers to scientific issues and natural catastrophes in human sin is ancient, mistaken, and perennial."

John M Reynolds

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
ok, so if this is going to destroy the worlds life, how did life live 55 million years ago?

i do believe they guy (tim) from John's link is on the right track here. good one, John.

Did you see this from the same guy.

http://tim.blogware.com/blog/Politics/_archives/2006/9/3/2290390.html

Quote:
In the last 40 million years the earth has been cooling, caused by a steady leaching of atmospheric CO2 into the earth. This has been accomplished by the fact that rainwater chemically reacts to atmospheric CO2 to produce a weak solution of carbonic acid, which has in turn combined chemically with silicates, calcites, and other metals. The bicarbonates thus produced wash off into the ocean, where the end up on the ocean floor.
I also like this comment.

Quote:
One?s view of the net direction of global temperature is an artifact of the timescale on which you base your judgments. The discredited ?hockey stick? graph, which shows global temperatures lurching upward in the last 50 years, and which is so much beloved of the IPCC and the global warming crowd, takes on a new significance in the light of these longer vistas: if real, then no more significant than the trembling of a leaf.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.