Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#8705 08/18/06 05:03 AM
D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"here's a couple examples of your links."

I don't see any links? Does anyone else see them?

dehammer wrote:
"we were talking about male witches. you cliamed we are called warlocks"

I did not. I never said that. I posted a link to Wikipedia that begins:
"Warlocks are, among historic Christian traditions, said to be the male equivalent of witches"

If you have an issue with Wikipedia take it up with them. I'm bored with your game so go ahead ... get in the last word, sentence, and paragraph. YOYO!

DA Morgan
#8706 08/18/06 06:03 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
those were the links you gave. i did not show them. i was discussing them.

i dont have a problem with wikipedia, what i do have a problem with is that you did not read the ariticle enough to see that its only christians that claim that. yet you claim you are not a christian. why would you accept the christian only definition of it instead of the true definition of it, the one that everyone but the christians use.

incase you have not really been paying attension, the only change in perspectives ive had since i started was that i was originally of the opinion that the supervolcanos were going to destroy the human race. Rics helped me out in understanding that they were not that powerful.

YOU on the other hand do vacilate quite frequently.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#8707 08/18/06 01:17 PM
T
T
"No it isn't. In both cases we are talking about an assemblage of parts where the assemblage is capable of doing things the individual parts can not do."

Protons and gluons are not able to ask questions about the origin of the universe. A collection of them can.

Carbeurators and axles are not able to drive down the road. But a collection of them can."

I'm not saying that an assemblage of consituent parts can't form together and display attributes that non of them individually possess. I don't think that that statement lends any evidence to your argument that "The universe is aware" and I don't have any issue against it. Howerver, I am attaking the premise that: If a part posesses a property (Me posessing awareness) then the whole posesses the property as well (The universe is aware).

In my example using the blocks, I hopefully showed that using your reasoning only amounts to a confusing way of talking about things. Let me review that argument briefly.

Build a tower out of muli-colored blocks. One block is grean, one red etc. By your reasoning I should say the tower is green. But the tower is not green it is multi-colored. So saying the tower is green, really means that the tower has a green block in it.

Now examine the website logo.

By your reasoning The logo is orange. But it really only has parts of it which are orange. Of course by your reasoning as well the logo is green. So I can say two seemingly contradictory statements about the logo, and according to your reasoning they are both true. I think it is less confusing and more accurate to say the logo contains orange and green.

The same applies to the universe as well. By your reasoning the universe is aware because it contains with in it things that are aware. Now I can also say the universe contains things that are not aware therefore the universe is not aware. So there we have again two contradictory statements that are according to you both true. I say that's confusing, and that it is clearer to say the universe contains within it things that are aware, and things that are not aware.

Now the point of all this is to show that your statement that the "the universe is aware" is not a fact, but a logical argument subject to philosophical scrutiny. I find that under that scrutiny your argument doesn't hold up. I reject your premise because it a)Leads to contradictory statements and b)makes communication less clear instead of more clear.

What specific issues with this argument do you disagree with?

At this point I'll concede that I am a part of the universe becasue I don't think that I need to to argue against it at this point.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.