Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#8447 07/29/06 08:53 PM
J
OP Offline
J
What happened to my original thread?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did you look for it down below? I know I didn't do anything to it.

Amaranth

J
OP Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Amaranth Rose:
Did you look for it down below? I know I didn't do anything to it.

Amaranth
Yes I did; went through list of last 30 days and could not find it. Maybe I am blind, but I do not think so.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I don't think so either.

On the positive side ... we had wandered lightyears away from the topic.

DA Morgan
J
OP Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
I don't think so either.

On the positive side ... we had wandered lightyears away from the topic.
Quite correct. Another positive side is that nobody could find a glaring fault in my model. Thus, if, as my model indicates, Cooper pairs do not form, it has serious consequences for quantum field theory. The Higg's field is based on the same principles.

I am taking a short holiday and will think about you guys when sitting on the beach.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Enjoy your beach. Wear sunscreen. The broiled look is out unless you're a steak.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JB wrote:
"The Higg's field is based on the same principles."

Personally I've never been all that keen on Higgs fields. That said ... this is SAGG ... not peer review. In other words it is essentially meaningless.

I hope you have something better to do than think of us. If not you are a very sick individual in need of a life. Enjoy!

DA Morgan
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
...Another positive side is that nobody could find a glaring fault in my model.
Except for the fact that it is based on an unphysical assumption, and makes at least one more unphysical assumption in the process, and that there is no physical evidence that the theory is correct...and that many of your arguments are identical to those made for BCS...except for that, it is a fine model.

J
J
Quote:
... Another positive side is that nobody could find a glaring fault in my model. Thus, if, as my model indicates, Cooper pairs do not form, it has serious consequences for quantum field theory. The Higg's field is based on the same principles.
Let's see, your model is based on the idea that electrons form a lattice and jump from site to site. No one has observed such a lattice in a suprconductor even with tons of neutron diffraction work done. You assume that the density of carriers is based on a 1-D model that is modified to fit the data. Many of your supporting arguments have to do with how the kinetic energy of the electrons can push them out of the gap, destroying superconductivity---identical qualitative arguements made for BCS.

Let's see, BCS can actual predict a gap energy, you can fit the data and get a similar number...if you modifiy the number density to fit.

Yes, except for those points, and possibly more, there are no glaring errors.

Even your optimistic presentation doesn't prove--or even imply--that your theory is correct.

Predict something not in BCS and get some emprical proof.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Thanks JAG for lucidly writing what I was thinking.

No doubt this is what the editor/reviewers were thinking and they were being kind to JB in the form letter they sent.

DA Morgan
J
OP Offline
J
I am having a wonderful holiday; and succeeded to get a (expensive) connection to the internet. Thus I will not be able to respond regularly; however I feel I must respond to what JAG wrote above:

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Arthur God:
Let's see, your model is based on the idea that electrons form a lattice and jump from site to site. No one has observed such a lattice in a suprconductor even with tons of neutron diffraction work done.
Have neutron diffraction showed Cooper Pairs? What experimental proof do you have for these unlikely entities?

[/QB][/QUOTE]
You assume that the density of carriers is based on a 1-D model that is modified to fit the data. Many of your supporting arguments have to do with how the kinetic energy of the electrons can push them out of the gap, destroying superconductivity---identical qualitative arguements made for BCS.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Obviously there could be qualitative similarities in my model and BCS. In my model the movement of the carriers are effetively one-dimensional owing to the tunnelling mechanism that applies. When calculating the ratio of carriers along such a linear chain as a function of temperature, you get the correct formula; which also fits the experimental results for BOTH the low-temperature SC's and the "high temp." SC's. BCS cannot do so.

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Let's see, BCS can actual predict a gap energy, you can fit the data and get a similar number...if you modifiy the number density to fit.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Can it predict which materials will form energy gaps?. Most definitely NOT. BCS is not predictive and therefore fails the primary property that an acceptable physical theory should have. In my model, you can either calculate the energy gap (this is done in my book) or you can measure it experimentally and then PREDICT whether the material would be a superconductor or not; as one expects from a real physical theory.

[/QB][/QUOTE]
Yes, except for those points, and possibly more, there are no glaring errors.

Even your optimistic presentation doesn't prove--or even imply--that your theory is correct.

Predict something not in BCS and get some emprical proof. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I have empirical proof that my theory can model the CuO ceramics. Show me that BCS can do so. Which should be consideredd the better theory?

Before the end of the year I will publish some additional experimental results that hopefully will remove all petulant doubts; however when a person wants to believe that the Kaiser is wearing clothes, you cannot help him/her. Those with open minds, watch this space!

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
What you are missing JB is that writing a paper in a peer reviewed journal is not a joust.

That one subject-matter expert, JAG in this case, would state concerns, is sufficient to demonstrate that your paper contains some serious gaps.

If you want to be successful you will need to put the pride-of-ownership into the closet and do a complete rewrite that addresses the issues.

Arguing that there isn't a dead rhino in the middle of the living room doesn't make it go away.

Hate to be somewhat harsh here but the doubts are not petulant. You need to drop the attitude or find another profession.

DA Morgan
J
OP Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
What you are missing JB is that writing a paper in a peer reviewed journal is not a joust.

I do not understand the game you are trying to play. I have probably published more papers in peer reviewed journals than you have. Furthermore I have been a peer reviewer for many journals; including Physical Review. I know very well when a peer reviewer is incompetent. You are not in a position to lecture me on so-called "jousting".

[/QB] That one subject-matter expert, JAG in this case, would state concerns, is sufficient to demonstrate that your paper contains some serious gaps.[/QB] The fact that JAG decided to defend the BCS theory (that the Kaiser MUST wear clothes) does not show up any "serious" gaps in my manuscript. It only shows that Jag's understanding is a bit limited; he wants to see wqhat he wants to believe. Therefore I have tried to make the manuscript simpler so that he/she will have a opportunity to see that the BCS theory CANNOT model superconduction between two contacts to a superconductor. It is amazing (even shocking) that the "experts" did not pick it up for nearly 50 years. In addition Jag then claims that I have grabbed the one-dimensional concept out of the air. It is not the case. When you have N charge-carriers out of a number N(0) at temperature T; then for any sub-collection you will have the same ratio. If this sub-collection lies along one dimension, then the average distance between them along that direction will be inversely proportional to the subset of charge-carriers. It is just simple physics which JAG has been unable to follow. Furthermore he does not answer my questions based on his defective reasoning; for example, what must be the properties of a metal for Cooper Pairs to form?

[/QB] If you want to be successful you will need to put the pride-of-ownership into the closet and do a complete rewrite that addresses the issues.[/QB]

All relevant issues have been addressed. I have always thanked people who have pointed out ways to improve my manuscripts. Most of JaG's criticisms are, however, based on misconseptions and by deliberately ignoring relevant aspects in the manuscript.

[/QB] Arguing that there isn't a dead rhino in the middle of the living room doesn't make it go away.[/QB]

This is more applicable to you: Arguing that BCS can model supercponduction between two contacts doesn't make the fact go away that it cannot do so.

[/QB] Hate to be somewhat harsh here but the doubts are not petulant. You need to drop the attitude or find another profession. [/QB]
I have no "attitude". My manuscript has been read by better scoentists than JAG; and their analyses were positive. Maybe you should drop your pedantic attitude and discuss the physics in my manuscript. Are you able to do so?

J
J
Quote:
Have neutron diffraction showed Cooper Pairs? What experimental proof do you have for these unlikely entities?

You have missed or dodged the point. Neutron diffraction would have detected your proposed lattice of electrons. The fact that no one appears to have seen this lattice--using experiments that would observe it--is evidence against your theory.

Quote:

Obviously there could be qualitative similarities in my model and BCS. In my model the movement of the carriers are effetively one-dimensional owing to the tunnelling mechanism that applies. When calculating the ratio of carriers along such a linear chain as a function of temperature, you get the correct formula; which also fits the experimental results for BOTH the low-temperature SC's and the "high temp." SC's. BCS cannot do so.
When one assumes a non-physical situation to fit data, it can not be taken as proof. Why would the number density of electrons scale as R and not R^3 for tin?

Take a single electron on a site. Why is the conduction one dimensional? It should have sites in 3D that it can "tunnel" to.

What is the distance R at, say, 2K for tin? Is this commensurate with the physical lattice? If not, why not? If so, will it still be commensurate at 3K? Given your equation for R, the answer is no. Why would an electron tunnel a distance that has no correlation with the crystal lattice?

Assume a single crystal of a non-cubic material. Do the properties of the superconductor vary depending on the direction of the current? Say the material is HCP. The nearest neighbor distance is different along the C-axis than along the basal-plane. Wouldn't Ro be different for these conduction directions?

Incommensurate electron charge-density-waves are allowed, but they are rare. If they exist, can you actually predict it? CDW's can be predicted by band-structure calculations.

CDW's have been observed in potassium. The CDW is even incommensurate with the lattice. However, a temperature dependence of the lattice parameter of the CDW is not reported.

Quick, what does your theory predict is the distance between charge carriers for potassium at 4.2K

After you post that, I'll post the citation to the paper and we can compare the numbers.

Quote:

Can it predict which materials will form energy gaps?. Most definitely NOT. BCS is not predictive and therefore fails the primary property that an acceptable physical theory should have. In my model, you can either calculate the energy gap (this is done in my book) or you can measure it experimentally and then PREDICT whether the material would be a superconductor or not; as one expects from a real physical theory.

"this is done in my book"

Ah, you can predict the gaps, but you chose not to. Well, you can't defend your paper with unpublished results. Is this done correctly in your book? Do you make unphysical assumptions in your book?

"BCS is not predictive"

Bunk.

Google searches
"bcs theory predicts" 242 hits
"bcs theroy prediction" 11 hits

including
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/212_fall2003.web.dir/T.J_Barry/bcstheory.html

with the statement
"This BCS theory prediction of Cooper pair interaction with the crystal lattice has been verified experimentally by the isotope effect. "

Sounds like some evidence for Cooper pairs...

Quote:

I have empirical proof that my theory can model the CuO ceramics. Show me that BCS can do so. Which should be consideredd the better theory?
Where? I can say that I have emperical proof that BCS can exactly model every High-Tc superconductor ever produced. Does that prove that BCS is correct? No, because without *showing* my proof, it is just an empty statement.

Quote:

Before the end of the year I will publish some additional experimental results that hopefully will remove all petulant doubts; however when a person wants to believe that the Kaiser is wearing clothes, you cannot help him/her. Those with open minds, watch this space!
1) even if BCS is wrong, that doesn't make you right. Drop that argument. Let your paper/work stand or fall on its own. Claiming that BCS is wrong is merely a smoke screen and it doesn't work here.

2) if a person wants to believe he/she is correct, you can't help him/her...why does this seem to be an argument that either of us can use? Since you tend to miss the point often, I will spell it out. Someone could give definite proof that your theory is nonsense and I suspect you would discount it.

3) predictions of BCS...how about the isotope effect. Very well done in BCS. You waived your hands and said that an effective mass of the charge carrierers would probably do the same thing. Well, when you calculate the effective mass, post it.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JB wrote:
"I do not understand the game you are trying to play."

This is not a game. This is someone that teaches at a university and has a degree in science telling you that you are coming across as about 80% attitude and 20% aptitude.

You've called a publisher an idiot.

You've railed against the phraseology of a rejection letter.

You've seen that there are legitimate concerns about what you wrote.

And you you continue to use phrases like:
"will remove all petulant doubts".

I know the meaning of the word petulant and I assume you used it with intent. If not here it is:

1. Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
2. Contemptuous in speech or behavior.
Source:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petulant

JAG tried to help you and you think him irritable?
JAG tried to help you and you think him ill-tempered?
JAG tried to help you and you think his behaviour contemptuous?
Really?

And then you accuse me of "game ... play"? Get an attitude adjustment. No more help from me but an apology to JAG is certainly due.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JB wrote:
"I do not understand the game you are trying to play."

This is not a game. This is someone that teaches at a university and has a degree in science telling you that you are coming across as about 80% attitude and 20% aptitude.

You've called a publisher an idiot.

You've railed against the phraseology of a rejection letter.

You've seen that there are legitimate concerns about what you wrote.

And you you continue to use phrases like:
"will remove all petulant doubts".

I know the meaning of the word petulant and I assume you used it with intent. If not here it is:

1. Unreasonably irritable or ill-tempered; peevish.
2. Contemptuous in speech or behavior.
Source:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petulant

JAG tried to help you and you think him irritable?
JAG tried to help you and you think him ill-tempered?
JAG tried to help you and you think his behaviour contemptuous?
Really?

And then you accuse me of "game ... play"? Get an attitude adjustment. No more help from me but an apology to JAG is certainly due.

DA Morgan
J
J
Quote:
This may come across as being part of the stodgy old establishment, but it is a fact.

If I have the option of believing that a Nobel Prize winning theory that has been in constant use for decades over a new theory which has been rejected twice by peer review...I will pick the Nobel Prize winning theory.

I'll probably be correct 99.99999% of the time. If I could get odds like that in Vegas, I'd be a rich man.

The burden of proof is on you. I believe you haven't met it. This is at least as valid as your belief that your theory is going to be earth shattering.

J
OP Offline
J

J
OP Offline
J

J
OP Offline
J

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.