Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 388 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#798 12/31/04 12:13 AM
P
Philege Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Is it possible that the earth wobble which caused the latest undersea earthquate has shifted the earth off its axis even slightly. Could this be causing the 'snow' in Dubai and our sudden rise in winter temperatures? Also could this latest quake have been the result of underground nuclear testing?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
No no no no no and no and no and no!

This is scienceagogo.com not ineverpaidanyattentioninscienceclass.com

Reality is not a science fiction movie on TV.

DA Morgan
P
Philege Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Is the Tsunami not reality? I don't understand your comment ineverpaidanyattentioninscienceclass. Where do you get this conclusion? Is what I said so far fetched? Remember when the earth was considered flat not so long ago by even renouned scientists who scoffed and laughed at any suggestions that the earth was round. Was my question not considered pithy enough? I am sorry if I got the wrong impression about your site, I thought it was a discussion forum on anything relating to science. Thanks for your encouraging comments.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
No no no no no and no and no and no!

This is scienceagogo.com not ineverpaidanyattentioninscienceclass.com

Reality is not a science fiction movie on TV.
Perhaps a little more reasonable consideration and reasoning answer, Dan, dear, a bit less knee-jerk foaming at the keyboard. The question seems reasonable to me, and shows signs of incipient cognition. I'm disappointed in your reply; I really thought better of you. To tell someone "no" answers only the question of the moment; to explain why "no" is the answer teaches reasoning skills that last a lifetime. Perhaps you'd care to say again, and maybe "show your work"?

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Ok Rose:

Q1: Is it possible that the earth wobble which caused the latest undersea earthquate has shifted the earth off its axis even slightly.

A1: No. The wobble does not change the axis only the point in space where it points. And since that is not static ... what minor change there will be ... will affected predicted future positions ... not actual positions.

Q2: Could this be causing the 'snow' in Dubai

A2: No. The effect is far too subtle to affect anything as macroscopic as weather with so little lead time.

Q3: and our sudden rise in winter temperatures?

Same as #2. The effect was so minor as to have no affect on temperatures except, perhaps, cumulatively over many years.

Q4: could this latest quake have been the result of underground nuclear testing?

A4: What latest nuclear testing? Where? When? Of course not. It is the earth doing what it has always done from the moment of its inception and will continue to do until it is burned to a crisp by the sun in a few billion years.

DA Morgan
P
Philege Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you Rose, and thank you DA Morgan, at least I can see now that my worst fears were totally unfounded.

M
Megastar
Megastar
M
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Philege:
I can see now that my worst fears were total unfounded.

Just as well because there are going to be a number of Earthquakes, even a couple more Tsunamis in our lifetimes If you live within 200 miles of a subduction zone "Be Prepared"

"You will never find a real Human being - Even in a mirror." ....Mike Kremer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.