Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6954 05/18/06 07:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"SCIENCE CAN FIND inspiration in the strangest of places. Take maggots. Most of us don't like maggots. We think these larval stages of insects are dirty and smelly, and the way they wriggle is creepy. But the lowly maggot is providing scientists and physicians with a valuable ally in the battle for knowledge and against disease."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-cobb7may07,0,6794238.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

And here I thought maggot therapy would be a psychiatrist for little bugs! Shows you what I know. wink

#6955 05/18/06 10:01 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
There are some that eat maggots.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Content?oid=22880&category=22578

If you Google "maggot eaters" you will get some sites that refer to the French as maggot eaters in part because soem of the Frence now post signs saying "no Americans" at restaurants. I say, let them eat maggots.
jjw

#6956 05/21/06 08:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can see using maggots as therapy for medical purposes, but I draw the line at willingly consuming them as rotten food. I'm sorry, but that has a "Yuck Factor" that's way too high for me. I'll take my cheese plain, thanks.

#6957 06/11/06 09:32 PM
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by jjw004:

If you Google "maggot eaters" you will get some sites that refer to the French as maggot eaters in part because soem of the Frence now post signs saying "no Americans" at restaurants. I say, let them eat maggots.
jjw
Ooh la la! La Francophobie!

And in London, those pubs that have signs -

No dogs,
No Irish.

How d'you think we feel...?

?La foi transporte les montagnes. - C'est vrai. - La raison les laisse o? elles sont. - C'est mieux.? Bourgault, Pierre
#6958 06/11/06 09:39 PM
L
L
On the contrary, there are times when you could be glad that the maggots are eating you -

"In contrast to a surgeon, maggots are small and can be highly precise in debriding only necrotic tissue over 1 or 2 days. Maggots derive nutrients through a process known as “extracorporeal digestion.” They secrete a broad spectrum of proteolytic enzymes that liquefy necrotic tissue. This process allows maggots to absorb dead tissue in a semi-liquid form over the course of several days. In an optimum wound environment, maggots increase in length several times within a period of 3 days leading to the efficient removal of necrotic tissue when they are removed. Maggots used in maggot therapy do not damage healthy tissue. They precisely operate at the junction between healthy and necrotic tissue."

Wikipedis - Maggot therapy

?La foi transporte les montagnes. - C'est vrai. - La raison les laisse o? elles sont. - C'est mieux.? Bourgault, Pierre

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.