Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been experiments involving cabbage fermentation (a/k/a sauerkraut--sort of), and it's raised some questions for me that I hope someone here can answer.

1. What's the difference between fermenting sauerkraut aerobically, and anerobically? "Traditional sauerkraut" is fermented anerobically. But I did an experiment in which I fermented the cabbage aerobically, and it seemed to produce a similar result. What I did was, I put some spices in brine, quartered a head of fresh sabbage, weighted it down so that it was below the surface of the brine, and covered it with a paper bag (to keep out dust etc).

2. Can someone tell me why it is that cabbage seems to take so long to ferment, compared to, say, kerby cucumbers? Cucumbers are finished their fermentation in 10 days, give or take a day or 2. But cabbage, which is shredded and thus has far more surface area, seems to take several times as long to ferment. Why? What's the difference in the sugars? (I assume we're talking about sugars.)

Thanks.

D
Megastar
Megastar
D
1. The difference is whether oxygen is available and thus which bacteria will/will not take part in the fermentation. That you didn't find a difference in what you did is somewhat understandable but when conducted rigorously I would expect a difference.

2. Cabbage may, and I'm just speculating, contain less sugar.

DA Morgan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.