Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C
HA!!! Yes because the old and entrenched companies will not fight tooth and nail to prevent a new technology!

Look extra, as I keep saying the technology does pay for itself. You choose not to see it simply because you are looking at older technology. There are advancements literally every day and it is slowly making news, but people who have switched to solar or wind have repaid whatever pollution that was caused by lowering the amount that will be caused in the future. If you look at the links for Powerlight it gives you a break down of exactly how much pollution is saved when using solar technology.

Quit parroting old information.

J
J
Hmm some where along the line, the topic of this got changed from globule warming to how screwed up the french are and politics.....

How many of you have taken into consideration all of the volcanic eruptions since the 1700's?
And what about all the cold spells that follow them?

C
C
It's called tangents, I rather like them. Keeps conversations going for hours. My friends and I have the best 4am, Denny's and coffee fueled conversations due to tangents.

C
C
Actually Archer, Morgan is getting ready to be at several conferences regarding his chosen work.

As far as how things are in Iraq: look up a blog written by a woman who lives there: Google Riverbend...

Our destabilizing Iraq has killed more not just because of bombs from both sides but from lack of proper medical care owing to hospitals being blown up and several other factors.

I despise the senseless killing in general because we have not yet accomplished the original mission of CATCHING BIN LADEN or have you forgotten him.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, Saddam hated religious fanatics and his country technologically and standard of living wise was better off when he was in office. All we have accomplished is to destablize another part of the Mideast.

C
C
By the way, as there is no formal count being done by either the government in Iraq or the US government of civilian dead any numbers you read are highly questionable.

D
Megastar
OP Offline
Megastar
D
If we were not faced with the near inevitability of long-term hostilities in the middle-east before ... we certainly are now.

And for reasons of international politics? Hardly. We are doing it for reasons of domestic politics. Because we haven't a political party in power anywhere, or even capable of being influential anywhere, willing to stand up and tell the truth

The time has come for first-world folks to lower their standard of living, stop iving beyond their means, and discuss HOW not whether, to level the economic playing field with other countries. Well that and stop consuming energy you are incapable of producing internally.

Denial is not the name of a river.

DA Morgan
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Chaoslillith wrote one April 06, 2006 02:14 PM
...my point that we as a country already have the world's most technologically advanced and largest military )escept for China as far as size there is no way we could match them. There is no need for us to keep spending billions on defense R and D not to mention all the wasteful spending the DOD does on a daily basis.)....

and we aim to keep it that way. stop r and d and in a decade we will no longer be a superpower, well be a colony of someone else.

...We could take a small percentage of the money that goes to the DOD, use it for alternative enery and another small percent and use it for education and the DOD would not lose anything. Renewable energies do their jobs...

yes and then another country would have that much more incentive to use their newly developed super weapons that we have no ability to defend against with our antiquted defense systems.

Archer, my uncles in Germany who are hardly rich state that their solar has more then pad itself off. ... It is not that expensive anymore.

http://www.partsonsale.com/

http://wholesalesolar.com/solar-panels.html#Anchor-Wholesale-11481

http://wholesalesolar.com/packages.html

its funny, i used these to see how long it would take me to pay off a system to replace my electricty, it came out as 54.3 years. how is that cost efficent.

...For those who do not feel like clicking the large array package was $13,000. Less expensive than just about any new car...

yes for a small home. say a one bedroom for one person with no computer etc.

There are plenty of people who can afford to do it. Most people though are not aware that it can save money and pay for itself in a few years, unlike a car which depreciates, solar cells actually enhance the value of your home...

yes there are some ppl that can afford it. but then those ppl dont think anything about buying a new car every year either. most of us cant do that.

...Most Americans still think it is a treehugger, crazy idea that only pinkie-hippie-commies will use. We will have the last laugh however as heating oil and electric prices continue to rise and those off us with solar power will stay have free electricity...

no, most of us americans realise that its not hippies anymore, its the super rich that dont have to worry about actually making the money back because the goverment will pay for it, with tax breaks etc. The majority of americans dont make enough money to have the kind of taxes that would be helpful to get this system.

...What you forget Archer, is that once installed, most people make money from the power company or at least never have to worry about outages or power bills ever again. That in itself is worth the initial outlay in hot place like Arizona where the electric bill in summer can be $200-400 a month depending on your house. 13.000 / 400. At that rate a solar array takes 32 months to pay itself off. Those government buildings I am sure got their money back within a few years.

yes, but they can also get their money back using passive things to cool the building. many of those building claim its the solar power that helps them and puts all the savings towards paying for that system, without putting anything towards paying for new type windows, better siding, heat reflective roof coating, ets. why, because these are not one time expenses. if they have to spread the savings on the entire package, they will lose money.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
C
C
"you must be one of the planet's most willfully ignorant people."
- - I notice a trend here, DA. There are two types of people on the planet, the ones who agree with you and the really stupid ones...

Here's a puzzler for you: Do you know whay they call Greenland GREENland?

If you get really bored here, you could always help Ehrlich write his next requiim for the blue planet!

Friendship is like peeing your pants. The whole world can see it, but only you experience the warmth.
C
C
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chaoslillith:
[QB] Ok, as I am only 31 I do not remember a global cooling fear, pretty much all I have ever seen in the news is global warmning. I believe what I see, ie Kilmanjaro, Inuits in shorts, waterfalls running down glaciers that were frozen solid only a few years ago. Would you like links?
- - As someone who's been around for nearly 60 years, I definitely remember the very first Earth Day and the first Global Environmental Summit where Global Cooling was the focus.

"I am also aware of the fact that more and more scientists are ever more concerned."
- - Very few of them are actually climatologists.

"By the way, my parents never discussed a global cooling trend fear in all the talks we had about the environment."
- - Ask them to come clean about it. They're probably just embarrassed to admit it.

Meanwhile, Greenland was once Green and the mean temperature of our planet has been warmer than it is today. When it dipped to about 2-3? cooler than the current averages, it was called "The Little Ice Age!"

People are freaking out over temperature changes at the second decimal place, and assuming these represent irreversible trends that will give us a global average temperature that will make the seas boil. It won't happen. These things are cyclical, and when it warms a bit, that triggers cooling influences and vice versa.

Friendship is like peeing your pants. The whole world can see it, but only you experience the warmth.
C
C
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Archer:
[QB] I think there is one key point that these have in common, City, State, Federal all have deep pockets, to coin a pharse, they have what it takes, to take what you got..
- - You correctly surmise that these projects were done with taxpayers' funds and the "savings" is based on not actually having to pay the full cost.

Alternative energy is not yet economically viable. Hopefully it will be some day, but for now it's all done with smoke, mirrors and taxes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.