Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 632 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#5902 03/17/06 03:27 AM
E
OP Offline
E
quick question to all you smart science people out there. if a vessel was traveling at the speed of light exactly, and had "head lights" on. Would you be able to see the light in front of you??

E=mc^2
#5903 03/17/06 09:17 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Einstein:
quick question to all you smart science people out there. if a vessel was traveling at the speed of light exactly, and had "head lights" on. Would you be able to see the light in front of you??
A vessel cannot travel with the speed of light relative to another reference frame; however, it can travel at a very high speed that approaches the speed of light relative to your reference frame. Within the reference frame of the vessel the speed of light will still be c, so that the light from its headlights will still move away with light speed and will thus still be observed as usual for light within any reference frame. The speed of light does not depend on the speed of the light source; i.e. you cannot catch up with light ever. It does not matter how fast you move relative to another reference frame, the speed of light you observe will alwyas be c relative to the reference frame moving along with you.

#5904 03/17/06 04:34 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
Lightspeed is identical for all inertial observers. It is a mathematically unavoidable consequence of Lorentz Invariance. Massed particles cannot travel at lightspeed. The point of view of a photon is not an inertial frame of reference.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#5905 03/21/06 06:59 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
what has mass got to do with light?

even if a flashlight is traveling at 1 mph or slower , its light if pointed in the direction of travel would be faster than the speed of light.

mass can be illuminated by a light source but that is about it.

and just because the web site has the word science in it does not mean that these
people are smart?

some of the stupidest people I've ever talked to
held phds.

you determine smart not them and not the piece of paper they have.

ponder this:

the flashlight is already traveling very close to the speed of light.

if the light were switched on would the beam only be a inch or two long?

and would the beam travel any distance should the
flashlight be traveling at the speed of light?
if of course it were possible.

reminds me of a physics instructor that once told me that water would not flow through a pipe of given lenght , I asked him if I crawled inside the pipe if there would be a wall of water that I could stick my finger into.

this made him upset because all of his math told him differently.

always try to use common sence.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
#5906 03/21/06 07:51 PM
J
J
Mass has a lot to do with light. Mass is inertia. If light had mass it would have been able to be stationary relative to an inertial reference frame. Because it has not got mass it always move with light speed relative to an inertial reference frame. A vehicle (with mass) moving with a speed v is stationary within the inertial reference frame moving with it. For this reason the light from its headlights will still move with the speed of light away from the vehicle. Galileo's statement of relativity, subsequently incorporated into Newton's first law, implies that any body with mass has an inertial reference frame within which it is stationary (i.e. both its position and momentum are known at the same time). Heisenberg did not appreciate this scientific fact and interpreted his uncertainty relationship, involving position and momentum, incorrectly. This has led to the farce called the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, and to the quaqmire called quantum field theory.

#5907 03/21/06 11:34 PM
U
Superstar
Superstar
U
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/analysis.png
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/sunshine.png

You've both handily disproven all of physics and all of science with it. What literally hundreds of thousands of physics graduate students have overlooked during the past 70 years you have trivially stumbled upon.

All solid state devices have vanished, GPS quit, and electric power distribution is no more. MRI machines disappeared along with their superconducting magnets. Batavia, IL is exposed as a giant conspiracy of lies. No more double slit diffraction, no more Poisson spots, no more Airy circles. No more Mie scattering as the inverse fourth power of wavelength - no more blue skies.

No more refrigerator magnets.

Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
(Toxic URL! Unsafe for children and most mammals)
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf
#5908 03/22/06 01:24 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
physics is a tool box not a stop sign or speed limit sign.

I have not disproven physics I think it is a great
collection of tools.

sort of like a large collection of pieces of peoples minds and thoughts and experimental results.

after all people made these tools.

3/4 inch of dust build up on the moon in 4.527 billion years,LOL and QM is fantasy science.
#5909 03/22/06 03:07 AM
R
R
Being in possession of a fully equipped toolbox is no guarantee against DIY disasters.

#5910 03/22/06 05:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
REP: Wonder why such a question can arise if you are told that you can not travel at the speed of light.;-0

#5911 03/22/06 06:26 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:

You've both handily disproven all of physics and all of science with it. What literally hundreds of thousands of physics graduate students have overlooked during the past 70 years you have trivially stumbled upon.

All solid state devices have vanished, GPS quit, and electric power distribution is no more. MRI machines disappeared along with their superconducting magnets. Batavia, IL is exposed as a giant conspiracy of lies. No more double slit diffraction, no more Poisson spots, no more Airy circles. No more Mie scattering as the inverse fourth power of wavelength - no more blue skies.

I really cannot understand how you come to all these bizarre conclusions. Why must the Heisenberg uncertainty relationship describe an "uncertain particle" to have all these effects manifest? Can you be bit more scientifically rigorous please? Please derive your conclusions from what I supposedly said incorrectly!

#5912 03/22/06 07:38 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Johnny Boy asks:
"Please derive your conclusions from what I supposedly said incorrectly!"

You said: "Mass is inertia"

And your source of this is?

No doubt your answer will be most enlighteng.

DA Morgan
#5913 03/22/06 09:03 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by DA Morgan:
Johnny Boy asks:
"Please derive your conclusions from what I supposedly said incorrectly!"

You said: "Mass is inertia"

And your source of this is?

No doubt your answer will be most enlighteng.
What mass implies is that the body will "resist" from being accelerated; i.e. it will resist from being moved from its position of rest (an equilibrium position) within its proper inertial reference frame (i.e. the inertial reference frame moving along with it). In fact this is where the term "inertial reference frame" comes from. I have read this interpretation many times in different handbooks and treatises when I studied classical mechanics.

Now applying this concept in a lateral way; resistance of an entity from being moved from equilibrium implies the presence of a restoring force. Thus modelling the free electron in its proper reference frame as experiencing a restoring force when an attempt is made to move it, gives a time-independent harmonic Gaussian wave whose quantum mechanical energy must correspond to the rest mass of the electron. Where does the restoring force come from? By assuming the manifestation of a virtual positive charge, Coulomb's law can be used to derive an expression that models the electron charge within the field of an equal positive charge situated over a fourth dimension.

This model indicates that matter and anti-matter could be separated over a three-dimensional interface (our three dimensional space). It also shows that an electron could have excited states (muon and tau?). It also gives a solution when applying a magnetic field along a z-axis. Using spherical coordinates it is found that the angle with the z-axis must be either 0 or pi for the electron mass-energy not to incease. This can be interpreted as a re-orientation of the axis along the fourth dimension relative to the three-dimensional space axes. etc. I think that this model opens up so many novel possibilities that it should be objectively analysed by the scientific community.

#5914 03/22/06 05:27 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Read what you wrote:

1. "What mass implies is that"
2. "applying this concept in a lateral way"
3. "This model indicates"

Is this science? Not where I teach.

DA Morgan
#5915 03/22/06 05:48 PM
J
J
Quote:
Read what you wrote:

1. "What mass implies is that"
2. "applying this concept in a lateral way"
3. "This model indicates"

Is this science? Not where I teach.
I am glad you are not my teacher. Go to the texts on classical mechanics (probably not the ones you use when you teach) and find out what mass implies. There is nothing wrong in physics to extrapolate from one concept to another: read the Feynman lectures. There is no fault to extrapolate and to speculate on a new proposed model; as far as I know this is done every day.If new models are not proposed and analysed on a daily basis science will stagnate. Is this the case where you teach? I will not be surprised. I cannot understand your beef!

#5916 03/22/06 07:34 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Johnny Boy wrote:
"There is nothing wrong in physics to extrapolate from one concept to another"

I agree. But you are drawing conclusions from your extrapolations that violate known physics.

Please refer back to what Uncle Al wrote.

DA Morgan
#5917 03/22/06 07:49 PM
J
J
Quote:
Johnny Boy wrote:
"There is nothing wrong in physics to extrapolate from one concept to another"

I agree. But you are drawing conclusions from your extrapolations that violate known physics.

Please refer back to what Uncle Al wrote.
What Uncle Al wrote has not been derived by any logical reasoning. In fact I really do not understand how he reached such absurd and bizarre conclusions. What I write does not violate well-proven known physics in any way; only the interpretation of known physics. Please be more specific; what am I violating?

#5918 03/23/06 04:40 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Uncle Al may lead with his attitude ... but he is generally quite good with his facts.

Al ... rather than giving my impression of what you intended to communicate might I ask you to jump in and spell it out? Thanks.

DA Morgan
#5919 03/24/06 04:17 AM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Thank you Einstein and DKV:

If I told you there were 200 tombs in Egypt?s Valley of the Kings you might reasonably ask me how I derived that result. Many things in science have fixed results derived by mathematics, physics or even common sense.

How did we arrive at a speed of light at 186,281 miles a second? What is there about our Sun light that musters out instantaneously at that speed and never changes? What happens to that blast off that inhibits the speed to stay forever the same and why do we think that this scenario is logical?

I think this question is on topic with the posting. Whose going to give us an answer?
jjw

#5920 03/26/06 01:59 AM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
violate known physics
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

laser beam --> container of cessium

known physics violated !!

#5921 03/26/06 05:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Paul, could you provide a bit more explanation of this claim? Not all of us are on the same wavelength that you are.

Amaranth, moderator

#5922 03/28/06 09:21 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P

#5923 03/29/06 02:48 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hey, thanks for your help. Besides that bit of fighting you guys had, the sights and explanations helped alot.

E=mc^2
#5924 04/16/06 08:41 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
10000 years from now, if man is still alive, they will look back at our science and compair it to our understanding if the cavemans chants for the sun to return.

the more man learns, the more he realises, he really does not know anything.
#5925 04/17/06 04:08 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
10,000 years? Try 100!

DA Morgan
#5926 04/18/06 03:53 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
na, 100 years they will only compair us to romans or such.

#5927 04/18/06 02:36 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Al:

I really cannot understand how you come to all these bizarre conclusions. Why must the Heisenberg uncertainty relationship describe an "uncertain particle" to have all these effects manifest? Can you be bit more scientifically rigorous please? Please derive your conclusions from what I supposedly said incorrectly!
Magnetism is a consequence of the theory of relativity.

#5928 04/27/06 09:05 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Dear Count:

Magnetism came before Einstein.
Magnetism can not be a consequence of a theory.
If Einstein is correct he exposed fundamentals.
jjw

#5929 04/29/06 02:37 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
to get back to the original question.

time is relative to the speed. that has been proven. if you were able some how to go as close to the speed of light as it is possible for matter to do, time for you would have slow down so much that the tiny difference in the speed of light would make it appear that the light was still moving away from you as normal.

#5930 04/29/06 11:29 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
I posed the question earlier with no takers.

I repeat with an explanation.

We recite that light travels at about 186,281 miles per second because that is what we measure in this solar system. Forget that reference data.

Who and how does science prove that the measured speed is what it should be everywhere? What mathmatics are there to prove our sun produces light at that speed because of some physical factors that are measurable? Does the assumption exist solely on the basis that the speed measured must be the speed every where? No proof required to arrive at reasons for 186,281 miles per second?
jjw

#5931 04/30/06 12:11 AM
P
P
Dehammer,
You posted:

"to get back to the original question.

time is relative to the speed. that has been proven. if you were able some how to go as close to the speed of light as it is possible for matter to do, time for you would have slow down so much that the tiny difference in the speed of light would make it appear that the light was still moving away from you as normal."

Its called 'relativity` because you cannot measure
your velocity except relative to something else.
No matter what your speed, you will perceive the
velocity of light as 'C`.
It is a property of space/time. If you think in
terms of space alone you are led into error.

( google 'Fitzgerald/Lorentz` contraction.)

jjw004,
You posted:
"We recite that light travels at about 186,281 miles per second because that is what we measure in this solar system."

Miles/second is distance/time - a property
of 'space/time` not 'space`. - Same admonition.

Pragmatist

"Some days it's just not worth chewing
through the Restraints."

#5932 04/30/06 04:30 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Pragmatist posted

Its called 'relativity` because you cannot measure
your velocity except relative to something else.
No matter what your speed, you will perceive the
velocity of light as 'C`.
It is a property of space/time. If you think in
terms of space alone you are led into error.

your speed is how fast your going. it is not something that has to be related to something else.

to measure it, you have to use a seperate frame of referance, say the compareatively motionless stars. at that point you have to use time to measure it.

it has been proven that the faster you go, the slower your the time is in your time reference, as compaired to those out side at a standstill.

in this case the reference is to the speed of light.

if you go close to it, time slows down for you in comparison to the the person that it is not moving in relation to light. if he could see you, to him you would appear to be motionless. if you could see him, he would appear to be moving in a blur.

light would move away from you at light speed, but since your at 99.9999 percent of that speed, it hardly gets ahead of you in terms of the outside observer. in your terms it moves ahead at exactly the same speed as it would otherwise, since your time has compressed for you.

to claim that time is the same no matter what flies in the face of experments done by the air force in the early 70's. it also flies in the face of all understanding of the theory of relativity.

in order to measure things like speed and time, you have to have a frame of reference. since the speed of light is a constant, its frequently used. the problem occurs when your trying to compare things that happen at faster speeds, with a reference of zero speed.

#5933 04/30/06 06:10 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
our planet is traveling around our sun at something like 66,000 mph.

how fast is our sun traveling through our galaxy?
how fast is our galaxy traveling through our universe?

we may be traveling beyond our conception of the speed of light at this time...

if a calculation were taken then all of these speeds should be included in the calculations and the center of (our) universe should be the begining point used in the calculation.

if and only if our universe is the only universe.

if not then we would need to know how many other universes there are , and where is the center point of all the universes.

so is the current speed of light correct?

I wonder...

#5934 04/30/06 06:23 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
to the "DA MORGAN" arguing program loaded on this forum.

I already know you dissagree ok.

so whats the point.

I would argue with you but theres no reason to anymore.

#5935 05/01/06 12:23 AM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
to pragmatist:

You say to jjw
You posted:
"We recite that light travels at about 186,281 miles per second because that is what we measure in this solar system."

You then offer:
"Miles/second is distance/time - a property
of 'space/time` not 'space`. - Same admonition."

Is that supposed to be some mathematical or physics demonstration of WHY light travels at 186,218 Mps. Pleas show the formula that provides that result based on the sun's mechanics or the physical nature of photons that result in that speed. Your " admonition " is misdirected and of no value to me. Thanks anyway.
jjw

#5936 05/01/06 04:15 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
186,281 is NOT the speed of light we measure in our solar system. Never has been ... never will be.

The speed of light is different in different media. That is the entire principle by which prisms and refraction work.

The number is nominally the speed of light in the near-vacuum of space. And it is, to the best of our knowledge, the same everywhere in the universe (though I personally have some doubts).

DA Morgan
#5937 05/01/06 06:10 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
DA you should check your data and not be so anxious to argue from error with people.

Speed of light
?The speed of light in a vacuum is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second (or 1,079,252,848.8 kilometres per hour, which is approximately 186,282.397 miles per second, or 670,616,629.4 miles per hour). This value is denoted by the letter c, reputedly from the Latin celeritas, "speed". Note that this speed is a definition, not a measurement, since the fundamental SI unit of distance, the metre, has been defined since 1983 in terms of the speed of light?one metre is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second. The speed of light through a transparent medium (that is, not in vacuum) is less than c; the ratio of c to this speed is called the refractive index of the medium.
Cherenkov effect in a "swimming pool" nuclear reactor. The effect is due to electrons travelling faster than the speed of light in water.?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So 299,792,458 meters * .62137 = 186,282 miles per second. This is not the best recitation of the speed. Other more focused sources convert to about 186,281.75 miles per second.
It is really curious that you would jump in on such a basic thing to argue. Like your previous argument that the Sun does not rotate at the equator as I said. Lighten up.
jjw

#5938 05/01/06 08:02 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I've read what I wrote and read what you wrote several times and I can't find what you are objecting to?

The original statement was:

And it is not correct. We measure many different speeds for light in our solar system depending upon the medium in which it is traveling.

Again ... clarification requested.

DA Morgan
#5939 05/01/06 11:02 PM
J
jjw Offline
Superstar
Superstar
J
Da you are nitpicking without reason.

Everbody knows that light speed will vary under circumstances wherein the light passes through some medium or other. I specifically stated that the speed of light in a vacuum was measured at 186,281 miles per second, that is the vacuum of space in the solar system near earth. It has been so measured by NASA ans some smart fellows a long time age.

http://itotd/com/articles/284/

"Meanwhile, Foucault was working on a different but equally clever technique, which he demonstrated the following year. Foucault?s method was to shine a sharply focused beam of light onto a rotating mirror, and from there onto a fixed mirror. Once the light hit the fixed mirror, it bounced back onto the rotating mirror and then back toward the source. But because the mirror was rotating, the angle at which it was positioned had changed slightly by the time the beam made its return trip. Consequently, the reflected beam did not line up precisely with the original. Foucault could easily measure the angle between the original light source and the reflected beam, and along with known constants (the distances between the various surfaces and the speed of the mirror?s rotation), it was a matter of a few straightforward calculations to convert that small angle into a representation of speed. Using this technique, Foucault produced a measurement of 298,000 km/second (185,167 miles/second), which is shockingly close to the modern measurement of 299,792 km/second (186,282 miles/second), keeping in mind that the latter figure applies only in a vacuum; light travels more slowly in air."

I guess you have a measurement of your own creation and that is OK too, keep it secret.
jjw

#5940 05/02/06 12:25 AM
P
P
Paul,
The center of the universe resides in your navel,
or anywhere else you choose.
That is the meaning of relativity.
It is pointless to try to create a 'privileged
obsever`.
The point of the 'Big Bang` model is that
everywhere is the center.

#5941 05/02/06 12:58 AM
P
P
Dehammer,
You state that speed is independent of a frame of
reference and then proceed to create one.

>say the compareatively motionless stars.

>it has been proven that the faster you go, the
>slower your the time is in your time reference, as
>compaired to those out side at a standstill.

Yes -Standstill relative to????

>in this case the reference is to the speed of light.
Relative to what???

>light would move away from you at light speed,
>but since your at 99.9999 percent of that speed,
>it hardly gets ahead of you in terms of the
>outside observer. in your terms it moves ahead at
>exactly the same speed as it would otherwise,
>since your time has compressed for you.

Yes, the observer is important.
The observer would also see you as foreshortened
in the direction of travel which impacts your
measurement of 'C` from your point of abservation.

The point is that 'C` , Distance/Time is a
constant for each observer. You can't separate
the two.
You're trying to mix the observations of different
observers indiscriminantly.
Pick a frame and stick to it, then normalize
the observations from different frames to
your chosen frame.
To understand, you must consider this subject in
terms of space/time.
If you try to think in terms of space or time
alone you're apt to fall into error.

Pragmatist

"Lord, are we worthy of the task that lies before us,....or are we just jerking off?"

#5942 05/02/06 07:03 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
jjw004 wrote:
"Everbody knows that light speed will vary under circumstances wherein the light passes through some medium or other."

1. Not everyone knows it.
2. You told me I was incorrect now you tell me being correct is nitpicking.

You can't have it both ways. So what was the point of your first post?

DA Morgan
#5943 05/02/06 02:11 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
a black hole emits no light, is this because the black holes gravity does not allow light to escape, or is it because the objects inside the black hole travel into the center so fast that the objects and its light is gone ...converted into energy and thats why we cant see it.

we can see the energy as it leaves the hole so
energy can escape.

(--> energy has no mass)

if this is the reason we see no light then the speed of light could not possibly be as most concieve it to be.

#5944 05/02/06 04:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Pragmatist:
Dehammer,
You state that speed is independent of a frame of
reference and then proceed to create one.
no, i was demonstraiting the point. two different observers see the things differently due to the effect the speed has. speed itself is not dependent on the frame of reference,

Quote:
Yes -Standstill relative to????
compaired to speed of light the stars are practically motionless.

Quote:
Relative to what???
the speed of light though a vaccuum is a constant, that makes it something that can be used as a frame of reference anywhere.

Quote:
Yes, the observer is important.
The observer would also see you as foreshortened
in the direction of travel which impacts your
measurement of 'C` from your point of abservation.

The point is that 'C` , Distance/Time is a
constant for each observer. You can't separate
the two.
You're trying to mix the observations of different
observers indiscriminantly.
Pick a frame and stick to it, then normalize
the observations from different frames to
your chosen frame.
To understand, you must consider this subject in
terms of space/time.
If you try to think in terms of space or time
alone you're apt to fall into error.
they time distance is constant, but your ability to observer it is diminished as time is compressed. on the other hand light moving away from you is not moving away as fast due to the fact that you are almost the same speed.

let me us a different analagy.

two observers see a train pass a crossing. the train blast the whistle as required.

one observer on the ground near the hears the whistle. as the train approaches the sound is higher due to the fact that sound travels though air at a given pressure and tempature at a constant speed. as the train passes the sound pitch drops. niether the pitch that was heard prior to or after the train passes are the same sound that the person in the train hears. if the train stops and whistles, it will make the same sound as the person in the train heard, but not either of the pitch heard by the one on the ground.

the person on a starship traveling just below the speed of light will have his time streached out as he approaches. the light leaving his ship will be moving away at a matter of a few miles per hour difference. (the speed of light will be the same, but the difference between it and the speed of the ship will be small). but since his ability to see the time in reference to the light, has been slowed, it will appear to be the same as normal.

to the outside observer, who is not moving realitive to light, will see the person in the ship compressed and motionless. he will also see that light is still moving the same speed, and will see the ship is just slightly less than light.

#5945 05/02/06 04:08 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by paul:

we can see the energy as it leaves the hole so
energy can escape.

(--> energy has no mass)

if this is the reason we see no light then the speed of light could not possibly be as most concieve it to be.
actually we see the energy that was almost captured by it, but escaped from just outside the event horizon.

#5946 05/02/06 05:21 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"actually we see the energy that was almost captured by it, but escaped from just outside the event horizon."

If we assume Steven Hawking and quantum mechanics are wrong.

DA Morgan
#5947 05/02/06 09:39 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
actually that is if they are correct. the energy we see is from the event horizon. as things begin to accelerate and time begins to slow. matter is torn apart. that releases energy. that is what we see. once it gets beyound that point, it does not escape normally, only matter being shot out of the poles are coming from inside. and that is only visible if the pole is pointed at you.

#5948 05/03/06 11:13 AM
J
J
I am sorry but I canot let this sentence from dehammer pass: i.e.

"if you go close to it, time slows down for you in comparison to the the person that it is not moving in relation to light. if he could see you, to him you would appear to be motionless. if you could see him, he would appear to be moving in a blur".

light is moving relative to all persons with a speed c; i.e. all persons are moving "in relation to light" (whatever this means) with a speed c". If a person moves relative to you with a speed approaching light speed, you will (according to his reference frame) move relative to him with a speed near light speed. There is no "blur". According to both observers the time of the other observer seems to be passing more slowly; however, within both frameworks the local time passes at the same rate the so-called proper time rate.

#5949 05/05/06 12:23 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
I am sorry but I canot let this sentence from dehammer pass: i.e.

"if you go close to it, time slows down for you in comparison to the the person that it is not moving in relation to light. if he could see you, to him you would appear to be motionless. if you could see him, he would appear to be moving in a blur".

light is moving relative to all persons with a speed c; i.e. all persons are moving "in relation to light" (whatever this means) with a speed c". If a person moves relative to you with a speed approaching light speed, you will (according to his reference frame) move relative to him with a speed near light speed. There is no "blur". According to both observers the time of the other observer seems to be passing more slowly; however, within both frameworks the local time passes at the same rate the so-called proper time rate.
im afraid im having trouble with this.

if two ppl are moving at the same speed in relative to each other, they will see each other moving normal. they will be affect identically. to them, everything will appear to be normal. what will not seem to be moving normal is the things going slower in relation to light. these things will seem to be moving much faster. the slower the other things are moving in relation to light, the faster they will appear to the ppl moving at near light speed. to someone who is not moving in relation to light, will see them hardly moving. that is because time has not dialated for them (if that is the proper term, im not really sure - what else do you call it when time slows for you).

#5950 05/05/06 09:07 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:

to someone who is not moving in relation to light, will see them hardly moving. that is because time has not dialated for them (if that is the proper term, im not really sure - what else do you call it when time slows for you).
This where you violate the most basic postulate of relativity. To say "someone is not moving in relation to light" is the same as saying that light is stationary relative to this person. According to Einstein's postulates this can never be the case. Light will always move with a speed c relative to any person even when different persons are moving relative to each other they will each still measure a light speed c. This means that time becomes a coordinate which can be transformed from one reference frame to another. So if you transform the proper time within a reference frame moving relative to you into your reference frame, then YOU will experience the time to be slower than it is in the original reference frame from which you have transformed it. The time does not actually slow down in that reference frame. I hope this is of help.

#5951 05/06/06 01:25 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dehammer:

to someone who is not moving in relation to light, will see them hardly moving. that is because time has not dialated for them (if that is the proper term, im not really sure - what else do you call it when time slows for you).
This where you violate the most basic postulate of relativity. To say "someone is not moving in relation to light" is the same as saying that light is stationary relative to this person. According to Einstein's postulates this can never be the case. Light will always move with a speed c relative to any person even when different persons are moving relative to each other they will each still measure a light speed c. This means that time becomes a coordinate which can be transformed from one reference frame to another. So if you transform the proper time within a reference frame moving relative to you into your reference frame, then YOU will experience the time to be slower than it is in the original reference frame from which you have transformed it. The time does not actually slow down in that reference frame. I hope this is of help.
totally wrong. i have no idea where you are coming claiming that if someone is stationary to light, light must be stationary to him.

perhaps you missunderstoon me. light is a constant.that make is something that can be used as a universal reference point. being stationary in relation to light mean that light is moving away from you at precisely light speed. someone at zero light speed is not moving at all.

if you are moving in relation to light then light moving in the same direction as you has slightly less speed in relation ship to you and light moving in the opposite direction is moving at slight faster that light speed in relation to you. this does not mean light is actually moving faster, because it cant. what is changed is its relation to you.

if light moved at relationship to the person, then the person in the ship moving .99 light speed moving at 1 away from him. while the person who was standing still would see it moving at 1.99 light. that does not make since. light moves at a constant. at does not move at a speed in relation to someone. the person in the ship would see it moving away from him at .01 times the speed of light, but due to time dialation (or compression which every the term is) it will seem to move away much faster.

if you slow down in relation to time you have to slow down in relation to everything else.

#5952 05/06/06 05:14 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Oh I suspect JohnnyBoy understood you quite well.

You just wrote:
"perhaps you missunderstoon me. light is a constant.that make is something that can be used as a universal reference point. being stationary in relation to light mean that light is moving away from you at precisely light speed. someone at zero light speed is not moving at all."

Which clearly demonstrates that your score on understanding 20th century physics, well really 100 year old 20th century physics is a resounding zero. You just don't get even the most basic of Einstein's concepts.

It would be absolutely impossible for light to be moving away from you at anything other tan "precisely light speed."

Impossible.
Absolutely.
Totally.
Impossible.
There is no other choice.

DA Morgan
#5953 05/06/06 09:17 AM
J
J
Quote:
Oh I suspect JohnnyBoy understood you quite well.

You just wrote:
"perhaps you missunderstoon me. light is a constant.that make is something that can be used as a universal reference point. being stationary in relation to light mean that light is moving away from you at precisely light speed. someone at zero light speed is not moving at all."

Which clearly demonstrates that your score on understanding 20th century physics, well really 100 year old 20th century physics is a resounding zero. You just don't get even the most basic of Einstein's concepts.

It would be absolutely impossible for light to be moving away from you at anything other tan "precisely light speed."

Impossible.
Absolutely.
Totally.
Impossible.
There is no other choice.
Thank you DA.
The other postulate of Einstein that dehammer does not understand is that there is no universal reference point; all inertial reference frames, with whatever speeds they move relative to each other, are equivalent. If you transfer an observer from one to another and he cannot see the reference frame from which he came, he will conclude that he is stationary. If this were not the case, one would not have been able to walk from the back to the front in an aeroplane.

#5954 05/06/06 06:03 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
please explain this the person one is not moveing. person two is moving at .99 percent of light. light is moving away from the second person at light speed, so how fast is the SAME light moving away from person two.

light has only one speed. it cant move away from two ppl at two different speeds.

let me do this in another way.

person 1 is standing still. person 2 is moving away in a plane doing .99 mach (the speed of sound). how fast is the sound wave (from the plane traveling away from person 1) traveling in relation ship to person 1)

the answer for those who cant figure out simple physics is simple. sound travels at a given speed at a given air pressure at a given tempature no matter who is measuring it. the person 1 will measure the speed at the speed of sound. the person in the aircraft will measure it at the speed of sound. yet in relation to the jet, the sound wave is only traveling a small amount faster than he is.

the same is true of light. it has a given speed. einstein proved it. test since then have proved it. our understanding of the distance of object in space is based on this. if speed light changes depending on how fast the person or object generating it is moving, all of our understanding of the size of the universe, not to mention the placement of the stars, will have to be completely rewritten.

(note: for the sake of simplisty i use mach as being the exact speed of sound. aircraft mach numbers are actually just a little bit faster due to the fact that an aircraft traveling at precisely mach would soon have a lot of trouble due to the vibrations caused by traveling at that speed. i cant explain it that well, but being a veteran of the usaf, ive learn a few things concerning mach capable a/c)

light moves away at its speed. if your moving at a different speed, the difference in the speed and yours would not be precisely light speed. that has been proven.

have you ever heard of something called redshifting.

its a long time understood principle.

light has frequency. the color you see is a product of the precise frequency or combinations of frequency of the light that reaches your eyes.

when a object is moving towards you, since light cant speed up the wavefronts are compressed, causing the frequency to increase. this increase cause the light to appear to be reder than it would otherwise. simularly object moving away from you have the frequency of their wavefronts spread out causing the light to be blueshifted (appears to be more blue). this allows scientist to determine the approximate speed and direction of stars in relationship to the earth (or more precisely the observer). if light moving from a star that was approaching the earth moved at precisely the speed of light in relationship to the star, it would be moving faster in relationship to the earth and would therefore never redshift.

a simular situation occurs with train whistles. if you stand at a crossroad when the train blows it whistle, it will sound a certain way depending on its speed in relationship to you. if the train is motionless, it will sound the same as it does to the engineer. if the train is moving towards you the sound increases in pitch, sounding higher in scale than it does to the engineer. as the train moves away, the pitch drops, sounding lower than it does to the engineer. in light this is called redshifting and blue shifting. the speed of light in a vaccuum and the speed of sound at given pressure and tempature are both constant.

if your correct, einstein and all the other scientist are wrong. all the star maps nasa has made are wrong. all the understanding of the movements of the planets are wrong.

i am aware that ppl will see what they see no matter what. since you cant change the placement of your center of awareness, (at least most ppl cant) your not going to see anything from any different perspective than that. the car moving 120 miles an hour will be moving towards you weither its moving along the road or is parked and your falling (at least until impact then everything changes).

i am also aware that there is no "universal refernce point". but you can specify something as a reference point and the speed of light is a good one since it has a constant speed. in any converstation there has to be a reference point or there cant be any understanding.

how much understanding would there be if you were talking with a red shoe as a reference point and the next guy was talking about blue fish. a discussiong of apples and oranges would be with a reference point of fruit, not apples or oranges. otherwise there is no understanding.

#5955 05/06/06 08:50 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by jjw004:
Dear Count:

Magnetism came before Einstein.
Magnetism can not be a consequence of a theory.
If Einstein is correct he exposed fundamentals.
jjw
Yes, that's right. It is the case, however, that if you assume Coulomb's law and special relativity, then you can derive all of the Mawxwell equations. You don't have to postulate a magnetic field, Faraday's laws etc. It can all be derived mathematically.

#5956 05/06/06 09:02 PM
C
C
The speed of light is 1 in natural units. In theoretical physics it is customary not to distinguish between space and time and to use the same units for both. In high school, physics students are often wrongly taught that Length, Time and Mass are incompatible.

#5957 05/07/06 12:30 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer asks:
"please explain this the person one is not moveing. person two is moving at .99 percent of light. light is moving away from the second person at light speed, so how fast is the SAME light moving away from person two."

At light speed.

Both obsevers measuring the speed of light will measure the exact same value.

DA Morgan
#5958 05/07/06 09:56 AM
J
J
I believe that we are all arguing at cross purposes here. Dehammer has a point when the firts observer measures light speed and the speed of the second obserrver relative to the inertial reference frame of the first observer. He will then see that the second observer catches up partially with the light moving away from the second observer; i.e. the light moves away at the speed c-v where v is the speed of the second observer. If this were not so there would not have been a Doppler shift for light; however, the second observer will still observe the light moving away from him as moving with a speed c relative to his own reference frame. In special relativity it is of utmost importance to carefully specify the reference frame relative to which an observation is being made. It is for this reason why two observers moving relative to each other can differ on whether two events are simultaneous. If it is simultaeous in one reference frame it is not so in the other.

#5959 05/07/06 03:06 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
dehammer asks:
"please explain this the person one is not moveing. person two is moving at .99 percent of light. light is moving away from the second person at light speed, so how fast is the SAME light moving away from person two."

At light speed.

Both obsevers measuring the speed of light will measure the exact same value.
the speed of light will be measured by both to be the same, but the one that is moving at nearly the same speed will, if he can overcome the time dialation problem, that the light is only a small amount faster than him. if he cant over come it. the fact that he has slowed down so much will make it appear to him to still be moveing the same speed. this is because he will be moving only 1/386000 as fast as the guy that is not moving in relation to light.

#5960 05/07/06 05:04 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
JohnnyBoy wrote:
"He will then see that the second observer catches up partially with the light moving away from the second observer;"

dehammer has no point. He doesn't understand elementary school level relativity.

He points out the issue rather clearly, above, when he says "if he can overcome the time dilation problem."

When pigs sprout wings and fly.

Time dilation isn't a problem to overcome ... it is the law.

DA Morgan
#5961 05/07/06 05:38 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:
"He will then see that the second observer catches up partially with the light moving away from the second observer;"

dehammer has no point. He doesn't understand elementary school level relativity.

He points out the issue rather clearly, above, when he says "if he can overcome the time dilation problem."

When pigs sprout wings and fly.

Time dilation isn't a problem to overcome ... it is the law.
at our lvl of understanding its does appear to be unavoidable. but then again. it was less than 1.25 centuries ago that "man could not fly" was considered a law too. there might be a way of overcomeing it that we havent the slightest clue about. by the same tolken getting to .99 c is at this time beyound our capacity too. Its a "law" that it would take infinite energy to reach that point. therefore if you total arguement is based on what is the "law", why are you even bothering to post. if time dialation slows your perception to 1/7 that of an outsider, and you are traveling at 6/7 the speed of light, light will seem to be moving at precisely the same speed. but since you will mass 7 times that of what you were originally how would you get to that speed anyway.

we are not discussing things that are possible now.

you do seem to be trying to wrestle me into the reverse of what i was originally saying but im not. if your doing some political game of pushing ppl into the opposite arguement, look else where.

as i have said, light speed is the same no matter what speed you are doing.

time dilation can make the difference between what speed you are going and the speed of light seem to be the same as it would appear to a outsider observer. this is my original point and what im saying all alone.

argue what you want, the speed of light leaving the second person is no faster or slower than the speed of light leaving the person in the ship.

#5962 05/07/06 06:01 PM
J
J
dehammer, maybe you understand what you are saying, but you say it in such a way that it is confusing. Just agree on the following:

1. both observers will measure the same light speed c relative to their reference frames respectively; even though they move relative to each other.

2. Each observer will see a Doppler shift when looking at the other observer and the light moving from that observer, but this does not mean that any of the observers are actually catching up with light within their respective reference frames.

#5963 05/07/06 11:13 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
your 1. assumes that in the process of getting to that speed we dont learn to over come time dialation. in my original statement i stated what you are saying. prior to being insulted and told i know less than nothing.

2. i dont know if doppler shift is the proper term. they do see each other being forshorten in the direction of the movement. doppler is more related to frequency.

i am assuming that you are talking about a large differnce in speed, rather that them having a difference of a few feet a minute.

#5964 05/07/06 11:59 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"your 1. assumes that in the process of getting to that speed we dont learn to over come time dialation."

dehammer wrote:
"2. i dont know if doppler shift is the proper term."

It is. And if you don't know that then you have absolutely no business pontificating on the subject. You should be asking people who do understand it to explain it to you.

dehammer wrote:
"i am assuming that you are talking about a large differnce in speed, rather that them having a difference of a few feet a minute."

The amount of the difference in speed is irrelevant.

DA Morgan
#5965 05/08/06 01:35 AM
C
C
dehammer should take a look here.

Point 12:

Quote:
Note: Typically, a quack will use no math whatsoever (just words), or only the most primitive math possible. They seem to know arithmetic (but not units), so any numbers (if indeed they use any numbers at all) are limited to constants. They don't really comprehend algebra, so even E=mc? is usually beyond them. Thus, if you try to explain to a quack the actual physics at even high school level, he will immediately claim that you are the one who is ignorant.

#5966 05/08/06 01:09 PM
J
J
Hi dehammer,

DA Morgan answered you correctly so I will not expand on it.

You must stop thinking that when you observe time dilation it is really happening within the framework moving relative to you. Neither does the increase in mass you see of a body moving relative to you manifest within the framework moving with that body. Similar for length contraction.

This argument is even applicable in Galileo's relativity. The kinetic energy you measure for a body moving relative to you is NOT present within the reference frame moving with that body.

#5967 05/09/06 09:16 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
two objects or ppl moving at the same speed and directions in relationship to each other will have the same time dialation effected on themselfs as the other. therefore they will not see a difference. to use da analagy, two ppl moving in an aircraft in the same direction will see the same distance between them at the front of the aircraft as at the back of the aircraft. someone setting in a seat will see them both move, but to the eyes of the ppl moving there is no change bewteen them.

simularly a person that was at a point in space that was stationary to light would see both of the ppl move extreamly slowly. but the two of them would see each other move at normal speed, due to the fact that they were affected the exact same way.

lets me move alittle out of known science for a sec to explain this a little bit.

according to einstein and others its impossible for something in our universe to move faster than light. the corrolary is that if something could excape some how from our universe momentary, it would have the potensial to go beyound light. NOT necissarily the capacity, just the potensial.

for this theory (its not mine by the way, i wish i was this smart) to be understandable you have to keep in mind the punt boat. its a boat that the pusher using a pole to push against the bottom of a river. to a passanger in the boat. the boat itself is motionless, while the water and the shore moves past. to the shover, the punt is moving underneath him, and the river and shore are moving past him. to the person on the shore the punt and the shover are both moving.

as this theory goes if you were to create a field around a ship, that acted as an interferance interface, something that seperated you from the rest of the universe, all the rule of the universe would apply inside the field and outside the field. only at the interface would their be a change and that would be the field would seperate the two from each other. according to this theory the engines would have their own seperate fields that in effect created a tunnel though them. it has been proven that mass can bend light and in this theory its used to turn photons into the engine. at this point a shover of some sort would attempt to accelerate the photo. since it cant change its speed, the ship moves instead. the interface would creat the effect of movement on ice, allowing the field to accelerate beyound light. since its neither energy or mass its not affected by the restriction of objects moveing faster than light. basically it would simply be twising the universe around it. the ppl inside the ship would be motionless in relation to the universe they were in contact with so they would not be vialating the restrictions against moving faster than light. thats the theory at least

now if this ship was moving at the exact speed of light, light moving forward of the field would not be moving at all, in relation ship to them. light moving in the opposite direction would seem to be moving at twice the speed of light since they were moving 1x light and the light would be moving 1x light. they would not be affected by the time dialation due to the fact that in relation to the unverse they were in contact with they were motionless.

now if they were moving at .99 light and were moving next to a ship that was doing the same in the same direction without the field, (according to what i was reading recently on the net) the ppl in the second ship would be 1/7 as deep measureing front to back (accounding to the direction of movement) and would be moving at 1/7 as fast. two ppl in the second ship would see each other moving at 1/7 of normal, but their preception would be slowed to 1/7th so they would see it as normal. to them the ship in the field would be 7 times longer than it should be and the ppl in it would be moving at 7 times normal speed.

its possible that we are saying the same thing in different ways.

#5968 05/09/06 09:37 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"simularly a person that was at a point in space that was stationary to light would see both of the ppl move extreamly slowly. but the two of them would see each other move at normal speed, due to the fact that they were affected the exact same way.

lets me move alittle out of known science for a sec to explain this a little bit."

Why don't you not move outside of known science and try just fixing what you wrote above. Wrong again! Why are you writing this stuff? Where did you get the idea any of it is valid?

DA Morgan
#5969 05/10/06 05:28 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Why are you writing this stuff? Where did you get the idea any of it is valid?
where did you get the idea that its not. as i pointed out its theory. i also read the stuff that was on the net about relativity.

think about this. if your correct then if something ever goes near the speed of light, the atoms are not going to be able to funtion together because each will be distanced to the other by the relativity. if im correct the atoms will be able to be the same in relation ship to the near by atoms and the components in relationship to the components of the same atom.

no, everything moving the same has to be affect the exact same, therefore in relation to the things around it moving the exact same speed everthing will be appear to be normal. otherwise, its a mute question becuase nothing will be able to approach even a small portion of light without the atoms tearing each other apart.

#5970 05/10/06 02:04 PM
J
J
Dear dehammer,

Maybe you have your own way of saying things; but I cannot follow you. Either I am stupid, or else as Mark Twain purportedly said: "Today I have met a man who knows more things that are not so than any other man I have met".

#5971 05/10/06 04:15 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"as i pointed out its theory"

No it isn't. Theory does not equate with any wild-eyed concept that can be written down in a sentence using nouns ad verbs.

Learn what a "theory" is.

Johnny Boy ... I think you have as clear an understanding of dehammer as anyone. He can't tell a theory from a fiction. Can't tell the difference between a meteorologist or climatologist and a geologist or botanist. And seemingly is incapable of demonstrating integrity by acknowledging when not just wrong but REALLY wrong.

DA Morgan
#5972 05/10/06 07:56 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
dehammer wrote:
"as i pointed out its theory"

No it isn't. Theory does not equate with any wild-eyed concept that can be written down in a sentence using nouns ad verbs.

Learn what a "theory" is.
theory is something that is projected from what is known, has some facts that are pr oven, and some things that are not yet proven. once they are tested, either the theory is discarded, corrected or proven.

leonardo de vinci had a theory of flight. if you look at his diagrams many of them have been proven wrong. does that mean that it was useless. no. it was advanced by other ppl. today as a result we have the capacity to fly to the moon or even other planets. the method of getting to the stars is still theoretical. had you asked many of the ppl of da vinci's time, they would have told you that flight was a "wild-eyed concept that can be written down in a sentence using nouns ad verbs."

relativity is still considered a theory even though there has been some proof, because as extensive as it is, there are still some areas that have not been tested.

Quote:
...He can't tell a theory from a fiction. Can't tell the difference between a meteorologist or climatologist and a geologist or botanist. And seemingly is incapable of demonstrating integrity by acknowledging when not just wrong but REALLY wrong.
really, i am the one that cant tell. i quote a well known source, that tells you that meteorologist are interested in the short term weather conditions, while you maintain that they are the ones that are interested in long term. these are called climatologist, which you don't acknowledge. so far i have not discussed botanist, so how would you know if i knew who they were or not.

before you claim ppl are wrong, why don't you find out the reality of this world.

you cant even quote your own sources right.

Johnny Boy, i understand what I'm trying to say, and logically i cant see how it can be other wise. some of what i understand is also being said to tell me I'm wrong. again if its what I'm saying and your saying, how can i be wrong and you be right. due to what was said here i have been reading up on this, and there is a lot i don't understand and stay away from. perhaps i do understand it and am saying it in a way that confuses everyone. perhaps my image of what I've learned is in err. perhaps what you are saying is comfusing me. i just cant see it happening logically.

either way its obvious that I'm not going to be able to convince you and da is getting to the point that hes not worth discussing. he getting to insulting. since he even argues with dictionary definition and claims that anyone that follows those definitions is wrong, ill not be responding to his insults here anymore.

its been enjoyable discussing this subject with you, Johnny Boy, and with a few others. good day to you.

#5973 05/10/06 10:05 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"theory is something that is projected from what is known, has some facts that are pr oven, and some things that are not yet proven. once they are tested, either the theory is discarded, corrected or proven."

NO! And not just NO but damned NO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Please try educating yourself just once before posting.

DA Morgan
#5974 05/12/06 02:11 AM
K
K
Can you guys please stop this idiot slanging? If you have science stuff then post it, otherwise don't.

[attempt to get thread back on topic]

Faster Than Light Effect Baffles Boffins
Physicists are scratching their heads after seeing light travel through a doped optical fiber almost instantaneously. The researchers plan on taking the experiment further and putting one of Einstein's key tenets to the test...

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20060411212755data_trunc_sys.shtml

[/attempt to get thread back on topic]

#5975 05/12/06 05:14 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
dehammer wrote:
"theory is something that is projected from what is known, has some facts that are pr oven, and some things that are not yet proven. once they are tested, either the theory is discarded, corrected or proven."

NO! And not just NO but damned NO!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Please try educating yourself just once before posting.
i have.

Quote:
Theory has a number of distinct meanings in different fields of knowledge, depending on the context and their methodologies. In common usage, people use the word "theory" to signify "conjecture", "speculation", or "opinion." In this sense, "theories" are opposed to "facts"
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

there are ppl that are working on faster than light theory and this is one of them. in order to prove or disprove whether or not ppl can go faster than light, the must first speculate, then theorise, then look for ways of disproving or proving the theories.

i understand how this works. its been theorized that things can go faster than light if they can seperate themselfs from the things in this universe. its possible that we might never go to .99 light, if we can learn to go around that restriction first. from what ive read the speed of light restriction is only a theory, albet one that has had some test that support it.

i wonder if they could create an energy field that would use what ever it is that cause the second pulse to be created, and project it in front of the ship. then the data from the ship would hit the field long before the ship, creating two copies. then if the second hit the original they would cansil out leaving only the version of the ship created in by the field, which would repeat it causing the ship to effectively skip though space. it would arrive at its destination long before the light from its launch arrived.

#5976 05/12/06 07:01 AM
E
E
Hey this is my first post here and I'm just a sophomore in highschool. I'm obviously very interested in science and I came across this site when I was reading an article about elecrtron entanglement.

Anyway I'm trying to understand more about this topic now. I know light, even from a stationary object, can go faster than the measurment of the speed in a vaccum. "Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered."

So if you could explain this example that I am going to put together after reading all posts thus far.

So imagine the experiment to measure the speed of light using one stationary mirror and one rotating. Imagine all of that equipment was on a desk along with observer 1. Observer 2 is stationary.

Now assume the whole desk (and observer 1) is moving 99.99% of the speed of light. I imagine that observer 1 would see the same thing as if the desk were stationary.

Heres my real question. Would observer 2 see the light as moving 1.9999 times the speed of light? From what I've read it seems not, but why?

#5977 05/12/06 11:44 AM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Empire:
Hey this is my first post here and I'm just a sophomore in highschool. I'm obviously very interested in science and I came across this site when I was reading an article about elecrtron entanglement.

Anyway I'm trying to understand more about this topic now. I know light, even from a stationary object, can go faster than the measurment of the speed in a vaccum. "Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered."

So if you could explain this example that I am going to put together after reading all posts thus far.

So imagine the experiment to measure the speed of light using one stationary mirror and one rotating. Imagine all of that equipment was on a desk along with observer 1. Observer 2 is stationary.

Now assume the whole desk (and observer 1) is moving 99.99% of the speed of light. I imagine that observer 1 would see the same thing as if the desk were stationary.

Heres my real question. Would observer 2 see the light as moving 1.9999 times the speed of light? From what I've read it seems not, but why?
You are correct to conclude that observer 1 will still see the same result; because observer 1 and the equipment remains stationary relative to each other no matter how fast the desk is moving.
The point you have to realise is that observer 2 will always (also) measure the speed of light as c relative to his/her "stationary" position, no matter how fast the desk moves relative to him/her. According to observer 2, the second mirror will move away from the light reflected from the first mirror. So the light will have to travel a further distance to reach the second mirror. I hope it helps.

#5978 05/12/06 11:57 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
welcome. sorry but my understanding of this pheonomon has been question to much for me to give you a good answer.

please do keep the question coming. curiosity has its own rewards.

#5979 05/14/06 03:26 AM
E
E
Thanks for the posts but I still have some questions.

Imagine a spacecraft moving close to the speed of light. Observer 1 is in the spacecraft and observer 2 is outside. I am trying to keep in mind that speed is distance/time and the person is aging slower traveling near the speed of light.

They both are holding a flashlight in the same direction and turn them on exactly when they are next to eachother.

Will observer 1 see the 2nd flashlight moving across space in slow motion? In relation to observer 2's stationary position will the 1st flashlight be moving faster? Will it apear to observer 2 that the 1st flashlight is affected by a dopler effect because the source of the light is moving close the the speed of the light? Thanks in advance.

#5980 05/14/06 09:20 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Both observers see the light moving at c.

DA Morgan
#5981 05/15/06 12:22 AM
P
P
Empire,
It's called relativity.
There is no such thing as 'stationary` except as
compared to a selected observer.
There is no absolute frame of reference.
To restate your question: Two observers are
traveling with respect to each-other at a
substantial fraction of C, each emitting light.
What do they observe?
Each will see a blue shift on approach.
Each will see a red shift on departure.
Each will observe time dilation and flattening
in the other.
Each will see the same relative velocity
in the other.
Each will measure C as the same.
Pragmatist

#5982 05/15/06 02:53 PM
J
J
Quote:
Thanks for the posts but I still have some questions.

Imagine a spacecraft moving close to the speed of light. Observer 1 is in the spacecraft and observer 2 is outside. I am trying to keep in mind that speed is distance/time and the person is aging slower traveling near the speed of light.

They both are holding a flashlight in the same direction and turn them on exactly when they are next to eachother.

Will observer 1 see the 2nd flashlight moving across space in slow motion? In relation to observer 2's stationary position will the 1st flashlight be moving faster? Will it apear to observer 2 that the 1st flashlight is affected by a dopler effect because the source of the light is moving close the the speed of the light? Thanks in advance.
I am sorry I was off-line yesterday. Both observers observe from their respective reference frames within which each one is of the opinion that he is stationary. If both switches on a flashlight along the direction in which they are moving, the trailing observer will not see any light coming from the leading observer. The leading observer will see the light from the trailing observer approaching him with a speed c; however, it will be redshifted (Doppler shift) because the leading observer will see the slower moving trailing observer moving away from the leading observer. If the leading observer points his flashlight backwards towards the trailing observer, then the trailing observer will also see this light travelling towards him with the speed c. It will also be redshifted because the trailing observer will see the leading observer moving away from the trailing observer. I hope this is of help?

#5983 05/18/06 11:20 PM
E
E
Okay I get what you're saying now...BUT who, and how, did someone come to the conclusion that the leading observer would see a redshift as opposed to a light approaching slowly?

#5984 05/19/06 12:31 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
that came from an understanding of wave principles.

its the same for train whistles.

if you stand near a train crossing, as the train approaches, the whistle goes higher "redshifting" in to higher frequencies. this is because sound cant change its speed for a given temp and pressure. therefore the waves are closer together, increasing the frequency of the sound. after the train passes, the waves are farther apart causing the sound to drop (the same as blue-shifting for light). doppler radar does the same thing with radar to give a better understanding of clouds.

astronomers have seen that galaxies that are moving away from us have a distinctive redshift and those (few i believe) moving towards us, are blueshifted.

with the observer, the light cant move at any different speed that it does, therefore the light will be redshifted as he moves forward.

#5985 05/20/06 02:10 AM
P
P
Origionally posted by Empire:
"Anyway I'm trying to understand more about this topic now. I know light, even from a stationary object, can go faster than the measurment of the speed in a vaccum. "Scientists have seen a pulse of light emerge from a cloud of gas before it even entered."

You should understand that the effect referred to is
a result of a change of the shape of a pulse of light.
The pulse itself, as a whole, does not violate 'C`.

While something might come of the study of this effect in the future,
right now it is just a curiosity.

#5986 05/20/06 09:21 AM
J
J
Quote:
Okay I get what you're saying now...BUT who, and how, did someone come to the conclusion that the leading observer would see a redshift as opposed to a light approaching slowly?
It seems that i just cannot get to my computwer in time. this time i fell ill and had to spend two days in hospital. Thank God for antibiotics!

Accordng to the trailing observer (who is under the impression that he is stationary) the leading observer is moving away from him. Vice versa, according to the leading observer (who is under the impression that HE is stationary) the trailing observer is moving away from him in the opposite direction. Both observers measure the SAME light speed and the same speed v with which each is moving away from the other. Therefore both observe a redshift in the light emanating from the other observer.

#5987 05/20/06 09:24 AM
J
J
Quote:
Quote:
It seems that I just cannot get to my computer in time. This time I fell ill and had to spend two days in hospital. Thank God for antibiotics!

Accordng to the trailing observer (who is under the impression that he is stationary) the leading observer is moving away from him. Vice versa, according to the leading observer (who is under the impression that HE is stationary) the trailing observer is moving away from him into the opposite direction. Both observers measure the SAME light speed and the SAME speed v with which each is moving AWAY from the other. Therefore both observe a redshift in the light emanating from the other observer.
I am sorry I used the qoute command instead of the edit command. I am still a bit weak from the fever I have had.

#5988 06/14/06 04:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok check this equation out al=006843/,00912<1>=fa,zx-474758809-0909707[08

#5989 07/13/06 04:58 AM
S
S
Quote:
Hmm, this is a good one. This question appears also in the Cornell U physics class.I will give you the standard, mainstream answer from same webpage.They have a whole bunch of cool problems on that website. Here goes the answer:

If we admitted by ABSURD that the rocket COULD be accelerated to run at .99999c speed (it cannot, no massive particle can run at c) , the light from the headlights would STILL run at c in front of the rocket and wrt the rocket! So, we would see the light cone of the headlights.
I know that you may have received a lot of other answers but this is what SR predics. Unfortunately, we cannot put it to test smile

#5990 07/13/06 05:52 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Sugeo: Time does not pass for a photon. It would be reasonable to assume that the theoretical rocket traveling at c would similarly not experience time.

I'm not sure your assumption holds.

Though neither does the entire analog as it is, it appears, impossible to test.

DA Morgan
#5991 07/13/06 06:15 AM
S
S
Quote:
Sugeo: Time does not pass for a photon. It would be reasonable to assume that the theoretical rocket traveling at c would similarly not experience time.
This is why I used all the disclaimers (.999999...9c, ABSURD, etc) wink

#5992 07/15/06 10:18 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
I cannot understand why men are always attaching limits to things that do not belong to them.

the speed of light is whatever speed you can get light to travel at...

my point here is as follows...

laser beams are in common use today.

a laser beam only works because (((( LIGHT ))))
photons are reflected off of mirrors several thousands/millions/who knows of times until its ((( SPEED ))) is great enought to pass through a
partialy silvered mirror at one end.

the initial light (is light) and its initial speed is (the speed of light) isnt it?

then what purpose does the reflecting off the mirrors serve?

#5993 07/15/06 11:48 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I don't know. What is the purpose served by making statements are are nonsensical and then asking questions easily answered by going to google or wikipedia?

I read the explanation in 1963. It hasn't changed since then.

But the willingness of people to be lazy seemingly has.

DA Morgan
#5994 07/16/06 11:29 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
you obviously have no idea what how a laser works. as someone that spent years learning it, ill explain.

one of the mirrors (on most mirrors) is a straight full reflecting surface. the other is a partial reflective surface. youve all seen mirrors like this. when you drive, the mirror inside the car has two settings. during the day, you have it set one way and can see clearly behind you via the mirror. at night, when a car is behind you, you turn it to the second setting and the light does not seem so bright. a person setting in the car with you, will see the light hitting your cheek or your forehead. the reason is that the mirror has two surfaces. the front is a partial reflective surface, reflecting about 10 percent of the light. the second surface (the back one) is fully reflective. the two surfaces are set a short angle apart. that allows you to see the two images at a different spot.

in a laser the second mirror (low reflective) reflects a part of the laser back, and allows the rest to pass. depending on the size and type of laser it could be anything from a 1 percent to a 99 percent reflective. there are even a few that dont have a second mirror. a small number of them actually dont have mirrors. they have an exciter laser, usually something like a led laser, that is beamed though a medium, taking the energy from the molecules as it passes.

the mirrors and medium does not increase the speed of the laser. if it did, there would be too many varibles for the laser to work.

#5995 07/17/06 03:28 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
The point of the mirroring, which often happens by total-internal-reflection (TIR) is that photons Stimulate the Emission of Radiation ... thus SER in laSER. If the photons do not make multiple passes there is less likelyhood that they will collide with an excited atom and stimulate further emission.

This is not significantly different than the reason why neutron reflection is used in nuclear weapons.

DA Morgan
#5996 07/19/06 03:06 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
OK..So what I should have said is that the light ENERGY emmited increased instead of the speed of light increasing.

so if I excite atoms with light ( photons ) and make them emit radiation inside a medium
(such as a ruby for instance)
and I contain some of the light ( photons ) inside the (ruby) by placing mirrors on each end of the ruby , one fully mirrored and one partially mirrored the photons will bounce back and forth between the mirrowed surfaces exciting more and more atoms until the partially mirrored surface can no longer contain the photons and they escape , or is it the energy that escapes.

if I can use a 12 volt battery at 100 amps and produce a light source greater than that which could be produced by the battery itself without the laser then has ENERGY increased?

So tell me what actually increases?

I know the intensity of the initial light source does not change.

I know the intensity of the light emmited from the laser is greater than the initial intensity of the light source.

if the laser uses 1 unit of ENERGY in 1 unit of time , and the laser outputs 2 units of ENERGY in 1 unit of time then what has happened?

#5997 07/19/06 04:51 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
No Paul you can not get something for nothing. You can take the energy in your battery and produce coherent light from it. But you will, at best, get a few percent efficiency with your ruby. It is the coherency that counts.

Here's a hopefully useful analogy. Stand out in the sun on a hot day and look at the top of your hand. Nothing is burning. Focus that light through a lens (losing 5-10% of the energy) onto your hand and you will be in a world of pain.

Nothing increases. What you are getting is focus.

The intensity is not greater from the laser. The energy is not greater. Coherent light is essentially giving you a greater impact with a lesser force.

HTH

DA Morgan
#5998 07/19/06 05:48 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
The point of the mirroring, which often happens by total-internal-reflection (TIR) is that photons Stimulate the Emission of Radiation ... thus SER in laSER. If the photons do not make multiple passes there is less likelyhood that they will collide with an excited atom and stimulate further emission.

This is not significantly different than the reason why neutron reflection is used in nuclear weapons.
the only way you can have "tir" is if you use cavity dump pulse lasers. these have 2 high reflecting mirrors (hrm) but will open for a single pass of the light so that all of the energy in the cavity will dump out in a single pulse. in a normal laser one is a hrm and other a lrm (low reflective mirror). it only reflects a percentage of the energy, anywhere from 1 percent to 99 percent, perhaps even with a few points past the decimal. It all depends on what kind of medium and how big it is.

one of the ones that does not use mirrors at all is what is commonly called a jet laser. it uses a fuel that after combustion has high energy co2 and no2 as its exhaust. the exhaust is then fed into a chamber that causes it to travel a wide but low path, where a initiator beam is fired into it, to cause the stimulation. some forms of this will have the beam chamber a little higher and cause the beam to travel though it on parallel course two to four times. the trick is that no part of the exhaust has the beam travel though it more than once. this is suppose to create a extremely powerful beam. it was hoped at one point that it could be used as an antimissile or aircraft gun. while it worked on drones, it never was very effective on faster, bigger targets like aircraft, and even less on smaller, even faster targets like missiles.

one of the biggest laser in the world was called antares which was suppose to be used to create a hydrogen fusion to powered an electric power plant. scientifically it was a smashing success as it manage to cause fusion in more materials that hydrogen. it total took them off guard when it caused aluminum fusion.

financially, it was a huge bust. it did create more electricity than it used, enough to provide energy for a very small town. the cost to do so would have provided electricity for a medium size city using more conventional means. most dye lasers use a laser initiator too, using mirrors to change the path, rather than bounce it back and forth.

#5999 07/19/06 05:56 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by paul:
OK..So what I should have said is that the light ENERGY emmited increased instead of the speed of light increasing.

so if I excite atoms with light ( photons ) and make them emit radiation inside a medium
(such as a ruby for instance)
and I contain some of the light ( photons ) inside the (ruby) by placing mirrors on each end of the ruby , one fully mirrored and one partially mirrored the photons will bounce back and forth between the mirrowed surfaces exciting more and more atoms until the partially mirrored surface can no longer contain the photons and they escape , or is it the energy that escapes.

if I can use a 12 volt battery at 100 amps and produce a light source greater than that which could be produced by the battery itself without the laser then has ENERGY increased?

So tell me what actually increases?

I know the intensity of the initial light source does not change.

I know the intensity of the light emmited from the laser is greater than the initial intensity of the light source.

if the laser uses 1 unit of ENERGY in 1 unit of time , and the laser outputs 2 units of ENERGY in 1 unit of time then what has happened?
its not so much the intensity that changes as the fact that all the energy is in the same wavelenght and in the same phase.

light is a sinewave. in normal light the light will have many different wave forms, each giveing you a different frequency of light (it appears different colors). most laser has only one frequency, and the all the energy will be in the same part of that wavelength. there are some lasers, mostly weaker ones, such as helium neon lasers (hene)that lase (release light) in multiple frequencies. others such as argon can do so, but due to the fact that choising a single wavelenght gives considerable more power, they use a prism near the high reflective mirror to tune it to which ever frequency they choise. others use two lrms inside the cavity to cause the meduim to only release in the one frequency they choice.

the energy that you put in will give you the same energy out no matter how you do it, just some things can cause it to be more usefull than others. da analagy to the lens and the sun is a good one.

#6000 07/19/06 09:51 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"the only way you can have "tir" is if you use cavity dump pulse lasers."

Every ... and I mean every ... Gallium Arsenide and Gallium Arsenide Phosphide laser uses TIR ... not mirroring.

But thank you for your contribution.

DA Morgan
#6001 07/19/06 10:23 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
i went to college in the 1980's. at that time there were no such thing as total reflective mirrors on both sides of all laser cavities. one side it has total reflective (or to be more precised high reflecive since even aluminum mirrors allows some forms of radiation to pass) and on the other it has a mirror that allows some of the light to pass through. when you built the lasers in the 1960's how many years did you study lasers.

did you know that they have even taught chimps to assemble things now. if a few decades they may have them trained to assemble lasers. that will not mean they will understand them, just that they can build them if they are given all the parts. to understand lasers you need to actually study them, as in go to school to see how they work, operate, and what different kinds of lasers that exist. I did. Did you? your answer says not. there exist lasers with no mirrors at all.

if they dont have mirrors how do they reflect the light. light is reflected by mirrors. most of them use metal mirrors but they still use mirrors and some of them use plain old glass mirrors. grantted these are not the type that you go to walmart to buy, but they are still mirrors and they are not total reflective on both sides of the cavity (except for cavity dump lasers as i pointed out earlier).

you may be able to talk rings around me with talk about oracle programs, but when it comes to lasers, i know what i'm talking about.

if you would like to know more about lasers here is a site that gives an explination that even a junor high school student should be able to follow. anyone that has kids that wants to know about lasers, heres is the place to send them.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/laser.htm

da, i see part of the problem. you were talking about solid state lasers which are basically what you described, while most lasers are not. the most common lasers are gas lasers. although with the popularity of key light lasers (laser pointers used for key holders to show your keyhole) the solid state ones are getting more common. the thing is that even the solid state have a kind of mirror on both ends.

#6002 07/20/06 02:12 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
I personally had GaAs and GaAsP diode lasers in the 70's. Where did you go to school?

DA Morgan
#6003 07/20/06 01:21 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Texas state technical institute of Amarillo. AAS in laser electro optics technology. yes, diode lasers existed in the 70's but they were not that common. there was little use for them then, and the most common uses required a lot more energy. one of the most common at that time was the hene lasers. they were used as pointers before the diode laser began to be more user friendly. most research had been done with co2, argon and such like gas lasers. after the kinks were worked out in tunable dye lasers they were used for most of the research. oil companies frequently used co2 for the research they needed lasers for and henes were used for leveling and such. only after diode lasers became more powerful, cheaper and longer lasting did they start to replace hene in many applications. that does not make them the only type of laser existing. in fact i don't think that even today do they make up the majority of lasers. in this i could be wrong. I have not done a lot of reading up on lasers for a while, not since i could no longer work in the field.

#6004 07/20/06 05:45 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"yes, diode lasers existed in the 70's but they were not that common."

They were in my lab.

Either way it renders your original statement invalid. Perhaps you would wish to acknowledge that you were in error?

DA Morgan
#6005 07/20/06 07:56 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
DA
Look at all the times that you have been wrong!!!

Where are your acknowledgement'(s)...

here's mine by the way... I dont know SQUAT about lasers basicaly.

how about a hollow earth?
how about gravity has gravity?

why didnt you ever reply to my questions about the oblong earths gravity?

avoidance doesnt make it go away it just avoids it.

#6006 07/20/06 08:12 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
____DA__WROTE:_____________
Here's a hopefully useful analogy. Stand out in the sun on a hot day and look at the top of your hand. Nothing is burning. Focus that light through a lens (losing 5-10% of the energy) onto your hand and you will be in a world of pain.

OK... you know where the earth is , and its distance from the sun.

now build a imaginary "hollow sphere that big"
the sun in its center.

insert everyone that ever existed and billions more standing on the inside surface of this sphere.

let them do the same " hold a magnifying glass and point it at their hand"

then measure the total area that is being heated
in all the hands...

what would the total heated area be?
more than the surface area of the sun?
if not remove the people and keep only the magnifying glasses and the sphere.
except add a few hundred thousand billion more magnifying glasses to focus the suns light energy onto the spheres inside surface...

now is it bigger?

now with the(losing 5-10% of the energy) loss you speak of how much heat (energy) do we now have?

how much did we begin with?

was there any type of increase?

was there any type of energy used other than the suns energy?

your reply...

#6007 07/20/06 10:14 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
dehammer wrote:
"yes, diode lasers existed in the 70's but they were not that common."

They were in my lab.

Either way it renders your original statement invalid. Perhaps you would wish to acknowledge that you were in error?
show me where i ever said they did not exist.

show me what this has to do with wheither or not there is an increase in energy from putting mirrors on a ruby.

anothe point, i said "all laser cavities". diodes dont have laser cavities.

#6008 07/21/06 01:37 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dehammer wrote:
"show me where i ever said they did not exist."

I grow weary of your inability to remember what you have written or to understand what others write. Here it is:

"i went to college in the 1980's. at that time there were no such thing as total reflective mirrors on both sides of all laser cavities."

My reference was to TIR not to totally reflective mirrors on both sides of anything. I find it almost incomprehensible that you actually went to college so ... Look up YOYO in an internet dictionary if you don't know what it means. Because that is where this thread has led.

DA Morgan
#6009 07/21/06 05:00 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
you grow weary of me not remembering, yet you cant find where i said that LED's did not exist. since you claim i did, maybe its your memory that is messed up.

i find it incomprehensible that someone with no more manners than you and no better ability to read can be a college instructor. you cant even post only threads that support your arguements rather that a good percentage of the time posting ones that destroy your arguement. all of my comments earlier were about lasers with cavities and things and you then attacked me about it. i might have missed a small point but it appeared at one point that you were claiming that all lasers did not use mirrors. even diode lasers used mirroring. IF you understood anything about lasers you would know that. the only difference bewteen normal type cavity lasers and diodes is that the mirroring effect is done by polishing the ends of the diode, rather than putting mirrors at the end of the cavity. otherwise it would not reflect. this and the fact that you claim that diodes dont use mirroring effect proves that you know nothing about lasers. any body can use a cookbook to follow a recipte, but a chief understands how everything comes together. It would appear from your writing that you were following a "cookbook" approach to making lasers (or most likely buying them) to appear cool or something. that does not mean you took the time to understand it.

#6010 07/21/06 11:07 AM
D
D
Dehammer,
I respect your opinion and think that you may know a thing or two. Please don't take this personally, but you ought to take a critical writing course. I think that most of your problem is that you can't effectively communicate your point. I think people get frustrated with you because your posts are largely unintelligible. Example

"any body can use a cookbook to follow a recipte, but a chief understands how everything comes together."

Anybody is one word, it's spelled recipe, and you mean chef not chief. I know it's menial but it's frustrating trying to figure out what we thought you meant.

#6011 07/21/06 01:39 PM
P
Megastar
Megastar
P
______DA WROTE ______________________________

No Paul you can not get something for nothing. You can take the energy in your battery and produce coherent light from it. But you will, at best, get a few percent efficiency with your ruby. It is the coherency that counts.

OK... you know where the earth is , and its distance from the sun.

now build a imaginary "hollow sphere that big"
the sun in its center.
.......I inserted this today ..........
the distance from the inside surface of the sphere to the sun the being the same distance as the earth to the sun. this distance varries so
you can use 96 million miles as the radius of the sphere in your spreadsheet to find the surface area of the inside surface of the sphere.

using a 2 inch dia magnifying glass at a distance of apx 3 inches I can focus the suns light on an area apx 1/8 inch this morning.

now back up 3 inches from the 96 million miles and find that area where all the magnifying glasses will be placed.

divide that area by the area of the magnifying glass to find the number of magnifying glasses
to use.

then multiply that number by the 1/8 inch area and you will have your heated area on the sphere.
.......... end insert ...................

insert everyone that ever existed and billions more standing on the inside surface of this sphere.

let them do the same " hold a magnifying glass and point it at their hand"

then measure the total area that is being heated
in all the hands...

what would the total heated area be?
more than the surface area of the sun?
if not remove the people and keep only the magnifying glasses and the sphere.
except add a few hundred thousand billion more magnifying glasses to focus the suns light energy onto the spheres inside surface...

now is it bigger?

now with the(losing 5-10% of the energy) loss you speak of how much heat (energy) do we now have?

how much did we begin with?
---------------------------------------
was there any type of increase?
---------------------------------------
was there any type of energy used other than the suns energy?

Im still waiting for your reply...

#6012 07/21/06 03:26 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Quote:
Originally posted by DrBarr:
Dehammer,
I respect your opinion and think that you may know a thing or two. Please don't take this personally, but you ought to take a critical writing course. I think that most of your problem is that you can't effectively communicate your point. I think people get frustrated with you because your posts are largely unintelligible. Example

"any body can use a cookbook to follow a recipte, but a chief understands how everything comes together."

Anybody is one word, it's spelled recipe, and you mean chef not chief. I know it's menial but it's frustrating trying to figure out what we thought you meant.
mostly your right here. but things like splitting any body rather than anybody is more for emphasis. perhaps i should have used "any body" instead. i try to use the spell checker, but sometimes get ahead of myself and don't.

#6013 07/21/06 06:57 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Perhaps Dr. Barr is correct. Perhaps the issue here is your inability to communicate what you mean. But the way it comes off to me is willful ignorance.

DA Morgan
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.