Welcome to
Science a GoGo's
Discussion Forums
Please keep your postings on-topic or they will be moved to a galaxy far, far away.
Your use of this forum indicates your agreement to our terms of use.
So that we remain spam-free, please note that all posts by new users are moderated.

The Forums
General Science Talk        Not-Quite-Science        Climate Change Discussion        Physics Forum        Science Fiction

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 434 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Posts
Top Posters(30 Days)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#5627 03/02/06 09:13 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Kline bottles are physically and logically impossible in three spatial dimensions: Try again.

DA Morgan
#5628 03/03/06 03:40 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
dvk wrote:
"I am not talkin English"

Why would anyone expect anything else from you?

Weren't you going to go to some other URL and share your profound gift for inarticulate sentences?

DA Morgan
#5629 03/03/06 07:08 AM
K
K
DA Morgan: wrong again... a Klein bottle can locally be described using three coordinates, hence as a manifold it is three-dimensional.

This answers the question about the dimension of a Klein bottle.

But it is non-orientable and cannot be covered by a single three-dimensional map. And it cannot be embedded in three spatial dimensions.

You should try to read about the Klein botttle in the wikipedia or some other place.

To make a Moebius strip you start with a two-dimensional sheet (say, a square piece of paper). You then glue two ends together with a 180 degree twist - the Moebius strip is still locally described using two numbers.

To make a Klein bottle, you start with a Moebius strip (or a sheet of paper again) and glue the remaining sides - now you need three local coordinates.

Here is an analogy: a string is an extended object; you need only one coordinate to specify a point on a string. But a string does not really move in one dimension, but in two or more....

Best,
Kasper Olsen, Ph.D.
web: kasperolsen.wordpress.com
#5630 03/06/06 07:50 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
A mathematician named Klein
Thought the M?bius band was divine.
Said he: "If you glue
The edges of two,
You'll get a weird bottle like mine.

#5631 03/15/06 11:03 PM
D
D
I wonder? Is there a real world object that has the shape of the Klein bottle?

Oh, by the way have a look at this:

http://www.kleinbottle.com/index.htm

Neat, het!

#5632 03/16/06 06:22 AM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Kasper Olsen, Ph.D.'s inability to quote correctly notwithstanding I will repeat my original statement ... Klein bottles can not be constructed in anything less than four physical dimensions.

DA Morgan
#5633 03/16/06 05:17 PM
R
RM Offline
Superstar
Superstar
R
1 dimentional objects cannot exist
2 dimentional objects cannot exist
Do you agree with the above statements?
I will continue if the answer is yes

#5634 03/16/06 06:45 PM
D
Megastar
Megastar
D
Based on what you wrote I would say, without hesitation, you are incorrect.

You see the problem is that strings and branes, thought by many highly qualified mathematicians and physicists to exist or at least to be possible solutions ... are precisely what you are asking me to say do not exist.

That I can not do.

DA Morgan
#5635 03/17/06 12:34 PM
K
K
Rob said: "Please name one shape that cannot be described using 3 dimentions and 3 dimentions only." And you, DA Morgan, said: "A Kline bottle.

Want to try again? ;-)"

and later: "Klein bottles can not be constructed in anything less than four physical dimensions."

Your last statement is correct - at least if you make precise what you mean by "constructed".

But your former statement is wrong. The Klein manifold is three-dimensional in a precise mathematical sense. Roughly it can locally be covered by the real space R^3 - in this sense it is three-dimensional.

The question about embedding the Klein bottle in R^n is another thing. Let's talk about embedding a manifold M, of dimension m, in the space R^n.
How large must n be, in terms of the dimension m of M? The so-called Whitney embedding theorem states that n = 2m is enough. For example the real projective plane of dimension 2 requires n = 4 for an embedding and the Klein bottle of dimension 3 requires n = 6, but can actually be embedded with n = 4.

You are confusing m with n above.

Best,
Kasper Olsen, Ph.D.
web: kasperolsen.wordpress.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
debbieevans, bkhj, jackk, Johnmattison, RacerGT
865 Registered Users
Sponsor

Science a GoGo's Home Page | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact UsokÂþ»­¾W
Features | News | Books | Physics | Space | Climate Change | Health | Technology | Natural World

Copyright © 1998 - 2016 Science a GoGo and its licensors. All rights reserved.